Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Uniforms

Gentlemen ,

I would like to purchase a Confederate uniform to use with my union group concerning local history events. Although it would be generic in nature I am prone to the state of Virginia . I`am interested with the colors brown or butter nut for clothing. I`am under the impression that browns and butter nut colored clothing would hale from the States of Carolina and Tenn. Is this correct ? So my question would be is the colors brown or butter nut be appropriate for a Virginia Soldier ?

Douglas Morrill

20th MVI. Co. D

Re: Confederate Uniforms

Your question is not easily answered as the uniforms changes so much during the course of the war.

Suggest you start by reading Les Jensen's article on CS Jackets. http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-1.htm

From there... examine uniform originals in museums and photo's in books. Echoes of Glory and the catalogue of the Museum of the Confederacy are two great picture sources.

From there you will then want to decide on time frame during the war and which theatre the CS impression will be from. Once you have all that information obsorbed and decided upon.. you can then detemine the best cut and cloth for your uniform.

Cheers!
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Comment

One interesting tidbit is that a lot of that "brown or butter nut" clothing didn't start out that way. A great example is the Amzi Williamson jacket in Echoes of Glory. It is clearly a tan color in its current state; however, it started out gray. The jacket was made from logwood died fabric, which starts out as a nice battleship gray. After a few weeks in the field, though, it will be a tan color. Ben Tart has a fabric sample board that shows several of his fabrics with only nine hours of direct sunlight. It is amazing the change in such a short amount of time.
      Last edited by colorsgt26nc; 07-12-2013, 12:24 PM. Reason: grammar
      Carlton Mansfield
      26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

Agreed with the above posts. The MoC also has a catalog of the uniforms in their collection researched by Les Jensen and it is his typology for identifying these coats that is commonly used.

Further, the jackets didn't have specified timeframes of issue by year or model, cloth, cut, etc. and Jensen broke down his typology by the most prevelant model characteristics at an assumed period of time, though these could certainly overlap, or even supercede another. That said, plenty research is available on this site and through the sources mentioned. We get wrapped up in typology and who wore what, when, but the CS soldier was happy to just have a coat issued to him long enough to last the campaign season whereupon his coat would fade and his uniform would be thrashed until the next issue. Again, research is key.

Finally, I can't agree more with getting a jacket that meets your requirements in color, cut, materials, etc, by the best maker you can afford. Don't cut corners in the interest of expediency and get a jacket you don't like because you will never wear it otherwise.

Good hunting.
        Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 07-12-2013, 04:27 PM.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Read Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown as well-often whatever color material they had at the time was used-but that phrase can be taken to the extreme so definitely research it out.
          Philip Guenther
          Columbia Rifles
          Living History Guild

Comment

A broad brush answer for a generic CS impression: Richmond depot clothing in vegetable dyed jean cloth...then, depending in the time frame, decide on the type I, II, or III styles for the jacket.

Michael Fahle.

Comment

Working...
            X