Lining some thin blankets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lining some thin blankets?

Does anyone have images or details on any original "thin" period blankets that have had a lining added to them? I have tried searching this topic and found references (both modern & historical) mentioning the practice of adding drill or similiar fabric to the back of a thin blanket to increase its warmth, but I have yet to see an original anywhere. Anyone know how exactly this would have been done historically? I have some decent thin repro blankets I would like trying this on. Thanks in advance!
    Respectfully,
    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Re: Lining some thin blankets?

Jon

I was thinking about this myself recently. Conjecturally I would think it would be quilted in someway.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: Lining some thin blankets?

I'll post this with a bit of caution regarding its publication date, etc....

In the book "How to Camp Out: Advice from a Civil War veteran" by John M. Gould, pub. 1877 says this about lining a lighter weight wool blanket on pg. 19 - "A lining of cotton drilling will perhaps make a thin blanket serviceable. This lining does not need to be quite as long nor as wide as the blanket, since the ends and edges of the blanket are used to tuck under the sleeper. One side on the lining should be sewed to the blanket, and the other side and ends buttoned; or you may leave off the end buttons. You can thus dry it, when wet, better than if it were sewn all around. You can lay what spare clothing you have, and your day-clothes, between the lining and blanket, when the night is very cold."

Of course there is a post somewhere on this forum which mentions, if memory serves, using a piece of brown linen (?) as a blanket lining in a period list of helpful hints for the new recruit.

I've been considering using Gould's suggestion to line my "Pea Ridge" blanket from South Union Mills.
      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Working...
      X