Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th Wisconsin Weapons, Uniforms, Equipment

Gents,
    Anyone have any info on the 24th Wisconsin's uniforms and equipment around the time of Franklin? Any info (pictures, accounts, reports, accounts) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

V/R
    John "Red" Turner
    John "Red' Turner

Re: 24th Wisconsin Weapons, Uniforms, Equipment

Hi John,
    The 36th Illinois-my main focus- was brigaded with the 24th for a majority of the War. Shoot me a friend request on Facebook, Doc Krausz, and I have an album dedicated to the 36th. From my research of uniforms offhand, I've seen the 36th with frocks, State jackets, sack costs and private purchase blouses. I haven't seen an SA jackets, but the 36th wasn't a very photographic bunch. Too busy actually fighting I suppose. The 24th was busy as soon as they joined the brigade at Stones River.

As for arms, the 36th had Enfields, but also Springfield series and Spencers. An interesting note, was that while on furlough from their three-years in service, they were told to buy Henrys. How many the 36th bought, I don't know, but I'm sure they tried to buy more than a handful based upon their prior engagements.
    Last edited by MarkTK36thIL; 05-27-2018, 07:18 PM.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Re: 24th Wisconsin Weapons, Uniforms, Equipment

Thanks Mark.

Much appreciated - many thanks!
      Red Turner
      John "Red' Turner

Comment

Working...
      X