9th TN Infantry Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9th TN Infantry Help

I am looking for anyone who has research on the 9th TN Infantry uniforms during the Kentucky Campaign. Any photos or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joni House
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Re: 9th TN Infantry Help

Hi Joni-

I was a member of the park's living history this past October for the national event and conducted a lot of research on the 6th TN in preparation.

I know you inquired about the 9th, however, the 6th and 9th were brigaded together so a lot of my research 'paths' were common. This consolidation didn't take place officially however until they returned to Tennessee from Kentucky and they still maintained separate rosters.

The only living photo or example of a jacket I was able to find was the McDill jacket that is currently in the Palace museum in Memphis. It resembles a sack coat and the material highly suggests being a commutation issue. I had photos sent to me, but I believe Doug Cooper had posted those out here before. I believe it is also the same jacket the park is trying to acquire possibly.

Further, of all the accounts, diaries and perusing of documents from the Tennessee State Archives I found very little on clothing issues prior to Perryville. I found only one unit issuance record of any Perryville unit, around August consisting of pants, socks, etc. but no jackets and I am pretty certain from memory it wasn't the 9th or 6th. I did not find any documentation as to the presence or issuance of Columbus Depot jackets until Bragg had returned to eastern Tennessee after the Bluegrass Invasion and retreat from Perryville.

From all I can or was able to glean, these boys were wearing a lot of commutation articles and I have read an account of the state of Tennessee still issuing frock coats as late as late '61/early '62. So it appears to be quite a hodge podge of civilian, commutation and frock coats.

If you would like to PM or contact me for more or to chat about it, feel free to do so.

Best Regards
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Also found the following account. It doesn't really mention what they were wearing, but their condition would draw the conclusion they had not been issued new clothing for a while.

"We found more Southern sympathizers in Harrodsburg that at any other place on our march thus far. Our men were very ragged and dirty but this did not prevent their being kindly and hospitably treated by the people of Harrodsburg. Our camp in Harrodsburg was near a noted spring at which it was said Daniel Boone rescued his captive daughter from the Indians. After a stay of two or three day here, we were marched back directly to Perryville while the forces of the enemy under General Buell were concentrating."

Captain James C. Hall
      Co. C, 9th TN Infantry

Best Regards
      Jay Stevens
      Tater Mess
      Independent Volunteers
      Iron Man Mess
      Reenactor Preservation Coalition
      Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
      Lost Tribes, October 2009
      Bummers, November 2009
      Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
      The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
      In the Van, August 2010
      Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Thanks for the information!!!!

We are researching the typical TN infantryman that would have been present on Maney's Ridge that day. We are specifically focusing on the 1st TN, 6th TN, 9th TN, 16th TN, 27th TN. Please let me know if you have images that are documented to the summer or fall of 1862 or accounts around those dates as well.

Thanks for the help!
        Joni House
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X