Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: another tidbit

Troy,
    Selling any of those bags? They look too good for words and would LOVE some for my impressions! Especially the green and blue!

Chris Fischer
    F-Troop

Comment

Re: USSC Patterns

Did anyone make the slippers? If so I would love to see some pictures to get a better idea of the construction.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Seth,

I am not sure but perhaps because Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont was Founded in 1842, and donated woolen clothes to the Hospitals?
        The Johnson Woolen Mills are still there today I drive buy it often not far from where I live.

Kelly Austin
        Kelly Maitland

Comment

Dear Poke Bag Researchers,

We are in the infancy of getting a well run and correctly stocked USSC - I have found the patterns for the USSC poke bags, but have not found any references to them being painted. I want to make sure that everything that we do for this impression is well documented. Perhaps they were done both ways? Being dependent of civilians for supplies would have left some variation. Some Abington MA records of goods shipped from the Union Ladies Aux were different than items that were specifically asked for by the Commission.

Thanking you in advance for any help or if you could steer me in the right direction.

I wrote out my signature in my profile and the first time I posted it didn't appear, so I will send this signature as not to be in violation of the rules.

Debra DiFranco
          22nd MA Vol Infantry Co. D - Civilian Unit
          Co-chair - USSC - Boston Branch
          Debra DiFranco
          22nd MA VOL Infantry Co. D (Everett Guards)
          U.S. Sanitary Commission/Boston Branch

Comment

Documents and photos compiling all these patterns are available in our USSC groups on Facebook and Yahoo! Groups. I've recently asked the members to post photos of their completed projects reproducing these patterns.

Anyone interested in the Sanitary Commission and their works are welcome to join us. We hope some of you gentlemen who are no longer able to take the field will consider the impression of a Sanitary Agent. They were in the field with the regiments and telegraphed back their needs.
            Duchess Martin,
            U.S. Sanitary Commission,
            Columbus, O. Branch.

Comment

Debra, The instructions for the ration bags that appeared along with the pattern in the Sanitary Commission Bulletin state plainly, "Ration Bags should be made of enamelled cloth. The four points should be sewed together so as to form a flat bottom and the side sewed up to make it into a bag. The top should be bound with cotton and tape strings run in." Don't know that it could be much clearer than that.

Originally posted by NightOwl View Post
              I have found the patterns for the USSC poke bags, but have not found any references to them being painted. I want to make sure that everything that we do for this impression is well documented. Perhaps they were done both ways? Being dependent of civilians for supplies would have left some variation.
              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Duchess I actually sent a join request to the FB group today. Troy is a very handy fellow, and he very generously gave me one of those enamled bags and they are GREAT! I have planned on making a pair of carpet slippers for years but have had trouble finding nice ingrain wool carpet to use. The USSC is a greaat impression and makes a change in pace from the usual CW impressions folks do, plus as Troy has shown there is a wealth of info out there if you look.
                Edward Anthony Parrott
                "Humbug"

Comment

Great patterns. I want to make some ration bags. My first "correct" attempt at a project.
                  Regarding prepping the cloth for paint. There is mention of wallpaper sizing starch and cornstarch. WHich works best? What is the mix for using cornstarch?
                  H. Rick Compton

4th OVI, 30th OVI

1SG (RET) Ohio Army National Guard Aviation
                  OIF/OEF
                  Lodge 240 Groveport, OH

[I][B]"Southern by birth, Yankee, because my parents didn't like the humidity!"[/B][/I]

Comment

Wanted to give a standing invitation to visit the United States Sanitary Commission group on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/USSanCom/ where we have patterns, pages upon pages of links to primary source material, photos, events, and about 350 members contributing new material daily. We still maintain the old Yahoo! Group, but it is no longer updated with new material. It can be found at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ommission/info for those not on Facebook.

Gentlemen, this is a perfect impression for those of you giving up the military. Commission agents were in the field with the troops and had supplies enroute or already on hand on every field of battle (sometimes getting captured themselves). They maintained warehouses around the country; hauled supplies by rail, ship, and wagon; inspectors inspected camps and hospitals and provided recommendations to commanders and doctors; they operated soldier's homes, refreshment saloons and hospitals; they raised funds and helped soldiers apply for pensions. The officers of the executive board were some of the wealthiest and connected men in the country and the doctors in the Commission provided the most up-to-date research to the Army Medical doctors. There are not nearly enough men doing these impressions in military settings, let alone in civilian ones.
                    Duchess Martin,
                    U.S. Sanitary Commission,
                    Columbus, O. Branch.

Comment

Working...
                    X