Shaping and Cleaning Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaping and Cleaning Hats

I wanted to show how easy it is to shape, reshape and clean your felt hat in your own home. These steps are simplistic, If I can do it, anybody can.

I own and have worn on a regular basis several expensive beaver felt hats, Most with 20 & 30X beaver. Brands like Stetson, Resistol, Larry Mahan, & Amercian. I do my own shaping and cleaning.

One..... Go and purchase distilled water, one gal. is enough. DO NOT USE TAP WATER!!! If you use tap water you could very likely leave white stains on your nice hat.

Two.... Go to the kitchen and get a good size pot, not to big, and especially not to small. Place the distilled water in the pot about 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Three... Place aluminum foil over the pot. With a fork, poke holes in the foil. I usually place about four to six holes with the fork close to each other. Place on stovetop and bring to a boil.

Four... As the water comes to a hard boil, place the hat over the steam and move the hat around the steam. If you want to only shape a particular area then just hold that part of the hat over the steam. I recommend moving the hat around just slightly, even if all you want to do is one part.

Five... As the hat starts getting soft, you can start shaping the area or areas that need the work. Remember! keep the hat soft. If you do not allow the steam to penetrate the hat you could very easily break an area in the wool.

Six...Once you have the desired shape, allow the hat to cool. Place the hat on your head in order for it to remember the crown shape. Place the hat upside down on the crown, or on a hat holder flat on the table with the brim free & not touching the table. If you shape your hat then lay it flat one a table it will curl up around the edges as it cools. I also suggest letting it sit for about an hour.

On another note, hat cleaning. You can use a varity of cleaning methods, to tape. Thee one that I use. Is a hat cleaner. At said western stores, they sell hat cleaners. They look like a bright orange sponge. You use them like a brush. If you have several hat colors then I suggest purchasing two. The reason, one for lighter color hat and of course one for darker colors. They are not very expensive. Beats using tape. The hat brush(sponge) works faster and is excellant in removing dirt, whereas using tape will not remove all the dirt. The sponge gets down in the felt or beaver but does not hurt the hat,nor take away any of the layers. Tape only removes what is on top. They are very safe to use. If I trust it on my 20 and 30x beavers I know it can be used on hats that we wear in the hobby.

If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, carry your hat to a local western store. They will be happy to shape and clean it for a price. Believe me, you can do this yourself.

Now I want to say this. I am not sure if this will work on those $20.00 common sutler hats. It should, but I have never owned any "cheap hats."

You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 06-09-2019, 10:08 AM. Reason: Formatting
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Shaping and Cleaning Hats

I have used tap water in a tea kettle with no problems. It depends on how much limestone you have in your water supply, I suppose.

Another method, totally authentic, is to stand out in the rain until the hat gets soaked all the way through. I did this, quite successfully, with a Bender flat-crown bowler. I wanted a bit of telescoping in the crown, so I kept the hat pulled down tightly on my head so that it would not shrink, and I kept pinching the edges of the crown, working it around the entire circumference, until it was dry enough to stay that way. (I was standing picket duty, and did not have much else to do.)
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Parault View Post
      If you shape your hat then lay it flat one a table it will curl up around the edges as it cools.
      I had been trying to get the edge on one of my hats to curl up all the way around, I will try laying it on the table flat...Thanks.
      [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
      S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
      I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
      they looked so hacked, and answered back
      never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel Yell1863 View Post
        I had been trying to get the edge on one of my hats to curl up all the way around, I will try laying it on the table flat...Thanks.
        Derrick,

Make sure you flatten out the hat with a slight touch of steam then lay it flat on the table and work out the edges. What I have had happen to me was having hats that turned up on edges when laying flat, after steaming them. Most hats will curl and some will not.

Another method, totally authentic, is to stand out in the rain until the hat gets soaked all the way through. I did this, quite successfully, with a Bender flat-crown bowler. I wanted a bit of telescoping in the crown, so I kept the hat pulled down tightly on my head so that it would not shrink, and I kept pinching the edges of the crown, working it around the entire circumference, until it was dry enough to stay that way. (I was standing picket duty, and did not have much else to do.)
        I guess that will work Rob, however, one might not want to wait till it rains. You are correct in pinching the edges. Pinching the edges will work if you want a rolled edge. If you want a not to subtle edge use the table method just lat it flat.

I have used tap water in a tea kettle with no problems. It depends on how much limestone you have in your water supply, I suppose.
        It does, but why take the chance. Distilled water doesn't cost that much. I have never used a tea kettle. Probably because there is not one in my house nor my parents home when I was growing up.

I wanted to add that there are people in the hobby that know how to shape their hat, or hats. I placed this here for those guys that didn't know or didn't think that they could do it for themselves. I also wanted to say that there are differant ways of shaping hats, however, what I have posted, has always worked for me the last 30+ years.
        Last edited by Parault; 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM.
        [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Parault View Post
          You are correct in pinching the edges. Pinching the edges will work if you want a rolled edge.
          Just FYI: I was referring to the crown.
          [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X