Plaiting a Bugle Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaiting a Bugle Cord

Just thought I'd post this link for anyone trying to figure out how to plait a military bugle cord. The plait is a fishtail plait, exactly how the original Civil War era bugle cords and lanyards were done, and as seen on the bugle cords in Echoes of Glory. It shows also that it is done with one single cord, i.e. that it is not necessary to cut the cord into separate strands.
    Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
    Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
    The swallows fly low
    Over the fields in clouded days,
    The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Re: Plaiting a bugle cord

Wonderful Randy! I'd been trying to figure out how to answer the question you raised by pm.

About as far as I'd gotten was leaving noseprints on the glass at the UDC museum in Charleston, and determining, in that dim light that it was NOT lucet cord, but some other type of braiding.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

YES Randy!!! That is the correct braiding technique for the double loop!!!
      This kind of loop is also seen on Indian War uniform /helmet cords.
      Very good. It was always too hard to explain by words but this video shows it all. Especially the start is tricky.
      Thank you very much for dipgging this out! If you braid the correct cords like mine with 21 feet length with this method it will shorten up so much that you can have it in the appropriate length to sling the bugle on your back so it does not hang in your way for mounted and( if slung around the neck) dismounted service.

Here you can see it in action. Although unfortunately my french comrade misunderstood the commands I gave. Not a piece of musical art but the calls can be recognized ;-)) and you can see how the cord looks like if braided this way.

First part of bugler calls by a reenactor from Germany, named Jan Berger, during a camp organized by the french association 20th Maine.Enjoy the sound !
      Last edited by J.H.Berger; 05-03-2009, 01:27 AM.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Who better to teach this skill than S&M bondage experts on youtube?

Honestly, this is a neat learning tool, but you have to admit the teachers are strange.
        Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Yep, I'll admit they are strange.
          Randy Valle

The swallows fly low

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

Jan, I'm really happy with one of your bugle cords I got from RJ Samp. I had looked everywhere for an authentic cord.
            Randy Valle

The swallows fly low

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

Randy , you have found the best and most authentic available:D
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by 55th VVI View Post
                Who better to teach this skill than S&M bondage experts on youtube?

Honestly, this is a neat learning tool, but you have to admit the teachers are strange.

That's crazy isn't it?
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][SIZE="3"]James Cannon[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sons of Confederate Veterans, Henry Watkins Allen Camp #133 (Baton Rouge, LA)[/FONT]
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Louisiana State Militia, 10th Brigade[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]“The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” [/I][/FONT]

Comment

This is GREAT. I was just looking how to do this. I agree with the above...very odd instructors.
                  Jeremiah Boring
                  Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

Working...
                  X