1860 Census Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1860 Census Numbers

My dad and I during our genelogy research have been looking over the 1860 census and got to talking about how the Northern States out numbered the Southern States. We realized we had only heard approxiamte numbers so we decided to pull the actual numbers for comparision. Here is a quick summary of what we found. I have attached a spread sheet that breaks it down in more detail per state.

Southern States - 9,103,332 Total Population - excludes border states
    5,582,222 Free Population
    3,521,110 Slave Population
    2,863,939 Free Male Population

Northern States - 19,095,049 Total Population - excludes border states & territories
    19,090,046 Free Population
    5,003 Slave Population
    9,328,293 Free Male Population

So as you can see the North had almost a 4 to 1 advantage over the South in free male population. If you add in the Territories that brings to almost 5 to 1. Which to be honest is a little lower than I thought.

As I said I have attached a spreadsheet that breaks it down in greater detail.
    Attached Files
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Re: 1860 Census Numbers

Tripp:

It gets even more interesting when you look a Industrial (factory/manufacturing) dfferences. The Northern Output in some counties can equal that of a Southern State! You can even compare acreage of farms, with units as small as a county..I discovered that my county (Dutchess, NY) had two 1,000+ acre farms in 1860 plus a sizeable manufacturing output

Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd NC
    [FONT="Georgia"]
    Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
    [/FONT
    ]

Comment

Working...
    X