The Eighth New York at the Battle of Cross Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eighth New York at the Battle of Cross Keys

For those interested in this unit and its experiences during the Valley campaign, I've attached below a short illustrated history, which includes a little background on "Hinaus in die Ferne," the song they sang as they marched up to the fateful fence at Cross Keys. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Michael A. Schaffner

Re: The Eighth New York at the Battle of Cross Keys

Bravo! Bully for you. Every once in a while a gem like this emerges above the usually contrite "do your research!" posts to keep us oldies (and the newbies) coming back for more. First rate work, Michael!!
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
      Bravo! Bully for you. Every once in a while a gem like this emerges above the usually contrite "do your research!" posts to keep us oldies (and the newbies) coming back for more. First rate work, Michael!!
      Thanks, Bob, I appreciate it. The history of German regiments in the civil war has suffered a bit from the lack of primary sources in English. Several recent translations have helped to address this, but we can only hope for more to come. In the meantime, I just like to share what I've found.
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Very nice read! Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind if I forward this to my Kameraden who are not registered here?
        Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
        Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Originally posted by Benedict View Post
          Very nice read! Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind if I forward this to my Kameraden who are not registered here?
          Please go ahead, Benedict. Some of your comrades' families might have some more letters from the original cast.
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

What a great read!! It will be a valuble tool to use when I attend Shenandoah '62 event in June, where we will portray the 8Th NY at Cross Keys!! Especially the part where they describe how the men of the 8th were clothed and outfitted.....ie, not having knapsacks, but using blanket rolls instead, cartridge box on waist belt instead of sling. Great info, thanks for sharing!!
            Chris Birely

In memory of my GG Uncle, Pvt. John Thurston,
            7th Va Inf Co. I (Holcombe Guards), Kemper's Brigade, Pickett's Division,
            wounded and taken prisoner 3 July 1863.

Comment

I've been unable to load a sound file of "Hinaus in die Ferne," but those interested in hearing the melody will find it buried within this recording of the "Lundby March," at 1:26 through 1:52: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOSIraM-4Q The Lundby March celebrates an 1864 Prussian victory in the Schleswig-Holstein War.
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Basically a bump for those interested in some background for next year's Cross Keys event, as well as a link to a recording of the first verse of "Hinaus in die Ferne." Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLryFC_5j4
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                X