Insights on a Buckeye Soldier during the Chickamauga Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insights on a Buckeye Soldier during the Chickamauga Campaign

My first attempt at this sort of thing. It might very well be repeated data for the veteran, but hopefully it will provide a something to someone.

Insights on a Buckeye Soldier during the Chickamauga Campaign
    Joshua Mann, 121st OVI, Army of the Ohio

For the Civil War reenactor there is no better model for their impression then the Soldiers themselves. The use of letters and diaries is an invaluable tool in our toolbox. Reading through these gives you a great insight into the daily lives of the Soldier as well as some clues on how to accurately portray these men. I have the great fortune of maintaining my late father’s archives on the 49th Ohio. Over thirty years of collecting letters, diaries, newspapers, reports and books on the regiment.

For this I have focused on a handful of diaries and letters that cover the period being examined:

Cole, Walker T., Letters. VFM 2010. Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio.

Kiene Jr., Ralph E. A Civil War Diary: The Journal of Francis A. Kiene 1861-1864. Kansas City, Missouri: Privately Published, 1974.

Rapp, Jonathan. Diary. Verlyn Thomas Collection.

Thompson, William. Diary. August 1862 to June 1863. Mark Stewart Collection.

Additional information came from the following published works:

Mann, Richard F. The Buckeye Vanguard: The Forty-Ninth Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1865. Mark Holbrook, ed. Miflord, Ohio: Little Miami Publishing Co., 2010.

McElroy, Joseph H. Ohio At Chickamauga. Record of the Ohio Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park Commission. Earhart and Richardson. Columbus. 1896

Background on the Regiment

The 49th Ohio Volunteer Infantry was organized in August and September 1861 in Tiffin, Ohio by Colonel William H. Gibson. Known as the Buckeye Van Guard, the regiment was recruited from Tiffin, Findlay, Fostoria, Fremont, West Lodi and Ottawa as well as Wyandot and Crawford counties in Northwest Ohio. In January 1863 the regiment was assigned to the 1st Brigade (Willich’s), 2d Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. Prior to the Chickamauga Campaign, the regiment took part in the battles of Shiloh, Siege of Corinth, Dog Walk and Lawrenceburg (Kentucky), Stone River and Liberty Gap.

When the campaign began the 49th was staying in a camp called “Von Treba” at Bellefonte, Tennessee consumed mostly by routine camp and picket duties. On August 30th, the regiment moved to Stevenson, Alabama and crossed the Tennessee River the next day. They moved on September 2 three miles toward Sand Mountain. After crossing the mountain the regiment camped at a place called Winston’s Gap. The brigade moved about five miles on September 8 and continued the march the next day across Lookout Mountain and pitched camp in Bees Valley. On September 10 they passed through Davis’s Division to the summit of Lookout Mountain. Camping near Alpine, Georgia they remained until September 13 when they resumed the march heading north making twenty-one miles. Remaining in camp until September 16th, they marched back over Lookout Mountain camping for the night near the headwaters of the Little River. On September 17 they marched twenty-five tough miles near the banks of Chickamauga Creek. On September 18 they moved forward one mile and posted pickets, remaining on the picket line all night. The following account of the regiment during the battle is taken from Record of the Ohio Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park Commission.

“At dawn, September 19th, it marched toward the battle field of Chickamauga, and arrived at Kelly's farm at 12 noon. The brigade at once formed for battle, with the 49th on the left of the front line, and the 32d Indiana on its right. Moving east into a dense forest Company A, under Capt. Hartsough, and Company B, under Capt. McCormack, were thrown forward as skirmishers. After advancing 300 yards the enemy was met, and the battle soon became general along the line of the division. The 49th, advancing under a heavy fire of musketry, encountered a battery of artillery using grape and canister. A charge was ordered, and the regiment captured two Parrott guns and drove the enemy over a ridge to near D. C. Reed's house. Just after the sun had gone down Cheatham, reinforced by Cleburne, moved forward; the fighting again became furious, and lasted until darkness rendered it impossible to recognize friend from foe. Both armies now withdrew. The 49th sustained a loss in this half-day's battle of sixty-three officers and men.

September 20th, the regiment, with its brigade, was posted in Kelly's field, as a general reserve to the left wing of the army. It, however, became engaged at 10 A. M., and assisted, by a charge, in the repulse of Breckinridge when, advancing from the north, he had gained the rear of Baird's line. In this affair the enemy was driven back a half-mile, and fifty Confederates captured. Returning to Kelly's field the 49th supported Goodspeed's battery until the battle ended.”

Clothing

I was a very much let down by the lack of information regarding clothing, other than a few references to drawing clothing nothing specific was made as to what type.

“Were mustered and issued some clothing.” (Thompson – 5 September 1863)

Studying photographs of the regiment over their years in service does not help. The regiment was clad in every documented type of clothing the Army issued from Ohio jackets to frock coats, dark blue pants and sky blue pants, caps and hats. When it comes to clothing, this piece is a bust and the generic mid war western federal make up of the issued federal sack coat, sky blue trousers and a mix of ornament free Army dress hats and civilian hats will have to be applied here.

The Walker T. Cole letter does contain a hand drawn picture on the back that depicts two Soldiers, both wearing untrimmed Army dress hats. It is quite possible he and his pards were his inspiration.

Based on the road travelled in route to the battlefield, the uniforms would have been considerably worn. There are numerous accounts to encountering choking dust along the way.

“the day is was very hot…it has not rained for so long that it very dustey.” (Kiene – 11 September 1863)

“The weather is very hot and the dust is gitting deep and worse.” (Kiene – 12 September 1863)

Ordnance

The June and September 1863 Ordnance Report for the regiment does positively show the entire regiment was issued the P1853 British Enfield Rifled-Musket.

Equipage

There are some very good references to how the 49th marched. LIGHT! Plain and simple.

“First we have “pup”, “dog” or “shelter” tents for one tent two pieces of thin muslin, about four feet wide and four and a half long each with buttonholes on three sides. They may be buttoned together and cover two men. In this dog tent two men must not quarrel but keep one a gun, cartridge box, haversack, canteen and knapsack besides various cooking utensil .” “Lie down on our rubber and wrap up in the blanket if it rains, lie on the side draw up the feet, put the head between the knees and hands between the feet and play opossum.” (Cole – 17 June 1863) [Authors note: In the letter Cole makes a number of drawings of the talked about equipage. Figure 1 shows half of a shelter, which looks like a “Type IIa” style based on Fred Gaede’s nomenclature. It has three vertically seamed panels, 23 buttons and rope peg loops in two corners. Figure 2 shows a fully assembled shelter tent with two y shaped uprights and a stick for the cross beam. Figure 3 is the equipment belt with scabbard, bayonet and cap pouch and cartridge box with sling. The drawing does not show a breast or box plate. Figure 4 is a haversack and figure 5 a canteen. Figure 6 is a knapsack with a blanket rolled on top. Figure 8 is a series of mess gear including a coffee pot, cup, fry pan, spoon, knife, fork and plate.]

“Left tents, camp and garrison equipage and knapsacks.” (Rapp, 28 June 1863)

“We got orders to go down and decrease our baggage by throwing away blankets and surplus clothing. Also picks and spades. The baggage train is ordered back to Murfreesboro.” (Kiene, 30 June 1863)

“I put my wollen blanket and a coat in with the captains beding and only carey my gun and shelter tent, gun and cartridge box.” (Kiene, 18 August 1863)

“Our baggage has been cut down… There are only 8 wagons left to each regiment… All tents are turned over but shelter tents which we carry.” (Kiene, 1 September 1863)

“My blanket was hauled and I was hardly able to carry my gun.” (Kiene, 13 September 1863)

“We soon came under the fire of the artillery… here we took off our blankets and moved forward in the line of battle.” “We were relieved, got our blankets and put for the night in a field.” (Kiene, 19 September 1863)

“The night was somewhat cool and we left nearly all of our blankets… We laid them off and left some of the boys who were slightly wounded with them but we had been moved so often that we could not get to them when we withdrew.” (Kiene – 21 September 1863)

The ordnance report for June 1863 indicates that the regiment had 436 cartridge boxes, 354 cartridge box plates (81%) and 184 cartridge box belt plates (42%).

Substance

In the months leading up to Chickamauga, substance issued to the regiment was up and down. Overall it appears they were, for the most part, well supplied with rations and supplemented with liberal foraging.

“We get hard crackers or light bread and pork, sometimes beans, peas (dry), horsebeef, fresh beef, rice, salt, pepper, sugar and coffee. And sometimes sourcrout and molasses, potatoes and bungfodder. (Cole – 17 June 1863)

“We got orders that we could only draw half rations of sugar and coffee… Also that out of seven days rations of meat we are to get 5 days rations of fresh beef.” (Kiene – 11August 1863)

“We are on half rations of sugar and received two days rations of pork out of seven, the balance in beef.” (Thompson – 14 August 1863).

“As good corn as I have ever saw – peaches and apples. Pretty corn in good roasting ears, so we did not suffer for grub.” (Rapp – 18 August 1863)

“We are cooking a great deal of green corn.” (Kiene – 20 August 1863)

“We also drew rations and have some meat beans coffee and crackers and some sugar.” (Kiene – 25 August 1863)

“Some of our boys were out forageing in the afternoon yesterday and they brought in sweet potatoes irish potatoes and apples so that our company fares well.” (Kiene – 12 September 1863)

“We got some coffee and beef. It is the first thing I have eat for 30 hours.” (Kiene – 20 September 1863)

JOSHUA MANN
    121st OVI, Army of the Ohio
    Last edited by cavscout148; 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM.
    JOSHUA MANN
    121st Ohio Vol.
    Yo Mess

Re: Insights on a Buckeye Soldier during the Chickamauga Campaign

This is a very good start. Kudos. The next time you're at the OHS, take a look at some of the microfilmed newspapers from NW Ohio. I'd be very surprised if they did not contain letters from some of the 49th's soldiers describing camp life, campaigning, and combat. The National Archives may have the regiment's order books, clothing records, etc. which are great sources for detailed information. But they may not have been preserved so don't be surprised if they're not there. They will have pension records which, while somewhat tedious to go through, will also contain a few nuggets here and there.
    James Brenner

Comment

Good Article / Enjoyed reading.
      Steve Morin

Comment

Good read, thanks.
        Mike McGee
        Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
        Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
        Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
        Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
        KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
        Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Joshua, can help you with their initial clothing. Give me a day to get my notes in order as I'm recovering from surgery.
          John Sarver

Comment

Howdy!
            I know this thread has been inactive for some time, but I am a member of the reenacted 49th OVM in Southern California and we have been intrigued and perplexed with the accurate recreation of General August Willich's "Advance Firing" as utilized by the 49th to great effect at Liberty Gap and Chickamauga. We have been able to uncover some primary sources of its description and have a pretty good idea of how it was accomplished, but perhaps you can shed some light on the specific orders given by command to achieve the positions and begin/halt the advance/firings. Is there any documentation at your disposal that might help us authentically recreate this maneuver?

Thanks and Best Regards,
            Darryl Hutchinson
            Co. E, 49th OVM
            Darryl Hutchinson

Comment

Darryl, I will have to some deep diving. All the accounts that pop into my head are general descriptions as well. You might reach out to the Willich's Brigade Descendants Association page run by Bob Bundy http://www.15thohio.4t.com/about.html. Maybe some data in one of the sister regiments. It is also likely he drilled it with bugles as the brigade became known to the Rebs as the Dutch general and his little horn brigade.
              JOSHUA MANN
              121st Ohio Vol.
              Yo Mess

Comment

Working...
              X