Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW WE WERE ARMED: Stonewall Brigade During the Valley Campaign - By Craig L. Barry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW WE WERE ARMED: Stonewall Brigade During the Valley Campaign - By Craig L. Barry

HOW WE WERE ARMED: Stonewall Brigade during the Valley Campaign

By Craig L. Barry

Click image for larger version

Name:	How We Were Armed - Stonewall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	230993
    General Thomas J. ‘Stonewall’ Jackson, 1862. (Image Public Domain)

“On the road I picked up an Enfield rifle which I exchanged for mine, an old fashioned Springfield percussion musket.” Thomas F. Wood, 13th NC Infantry, June 1862.

Military strategists have long marveled over the tactical success of Jackson’s Valley Campaign. One question that arises is if the weapons issued to his troops were a factor in that success. The underlying presumption being that after “Colonel” Jackson liberated the arms and equipment from the Harpers Ferry Armory in April 1861, his men marched off armed with the cache of relatively modern US Armory produced rifles and muskets. This was not the case.

Infantry arms were in short supply in the first months after secession from the Union. Mobilization was futile if the troops could not be armed prior to taking the field. Hence, arms had to be doled out cautiously and first issued to the soldiers who were going to be deployed. The small supply of percussion muskets on hand was quickly exhausted by the end of May, 1861. [1] Hence, the Army of Northern Virginia was largely armed with “old Springfield muskets such as had been captured from Government Arsenals in the South,” many of these were still in flint. The same was true of the inventory of most state arsenals, including virtually all the military long arms in the Virginia Armory. There were also shotguns hunting rifles, etc. brought from the home front...almost anything that would shoot.

Name:	How We Were Armed - 1.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	230994
    US 1822 flintlock musket (Image Courtesy nps.gov)

Many historians define the Valley Campaign, as beginning in November 1861 with Romney, rather than with the First Battle of Kernstown in late March 1862. If so, we can easily determine how General Jackson’s troops were then outfitted. It was documented that, "In November 1861 the nucleus of Jackson’s division in the Shenandoah Valley was armed with flintlock muskets. Governor Letcher of Virginia later replaced these with the loan of 1,550 percussion muskets from the state armory." [2] Jackson also borrowed several hundred US 1851 cadet muskets from VMI. This "borrowed" supply of VMI muskets were still in the ranks of the 4th Virginia Co H (Rockbridge Grays) during the Valley Campaign of 1862, and afterwards. The Governor of Virginia wrote asking for their return some months later. Jackson’s response was telling, he replied that he could not return VMI's cadet muskets "until in their place percussion muskets could be issued." [3]

Name:	How We Were Armed - 2.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	230995
    US 1822 musket converted to percussion in excellent condition (image courtesy College Hill Arsenal, Nashville, TN)

A company armed with smoothbore muskets is not necessarily at a disadvantage in close quarter fighting, and may in fact have the benefit of the greater hit rate by firing buck and ball rounds. A hit does not have to be fatal to take an enemy out of action. Flintlocks were a different story. Slower loading and a greater number of misfires (especially in wet weather) diminished their effectiveness against an opponent armed with percussion muskets. Continued battlefield success during the campaign led to a large amount of captured Union equipment which could be swapped out for the older, obsolete Confederate weapons. One soldier who served with Jackson in 1862 recalled the following:

“When our regiment was forming, the officers, to induce the men to enlist, promised to arm them with Enfield rifles imported from England as soon as we were mustered in. But these they did not have, and the men were inclined to rebel; but all returned to camp from the barracks in Savannah, where they took the military oath, and continued to drill with the old shotguns and squirrel rifles with which they had left home. Sometime after this the government sent wagonloads of pikes to arm the regiment. This also came near causing great trouble, and the officers did not attempt to compel the men to take them. Finally the regiment was armed with old smooth-bore muskets which had done service in previous wars, and with these we were armed when we reported to Stonewall Jackson in 1862…in June, our camp was near the railroad station, where there was a great pile of new Springfield muskets that had been left on the numerous battle fields by the Federals and picked up by our men, and we were told to exchange our old muskets for these. We were armed with these new Yankee (US model) Springfield muskets when we first opened fire on the enemy on June 27, 1862, in the first great battle of Cold Harbor (Gaines Mills), where General McClellan's splendid army was defeated. The wonderful events of that historic day made a great and lasting impression on my mind. The dreadful roar of the cannonade, the incessant roll of small arms, and the dead and wounded men and horses can never be forgotten.” [4]

Imported French and Belgian smoothbore muskets were common on both sides early in the Civil War. There is no evidence that either the US or CS would import flintlocks from Europe, as they already had too many here. Percussion muskets were what were in demand and then modern rifled arms in the standard smaller caliber.

It appears clear that Jackson did not achieve his success in the Shenandoah Valley during 1862 because of his troops being better equipped than the Union forces, if anything the opposite was the case. In late 1861, many Confederates under Jackson were still armed with flintlocks. By March 1862, many (but not all) had upgraded to percussion smoothbore muskets. And by late June percussion muskets were the norm and some had scrounged up newer rifle-muskets. This process of replacing smoothbores with rifle-muskets continued well into late 1864, but was never fully implemented for all of the Confederate armies before the Civil War ended. [5]

Were flintlocks still in use by the Union in 1862? It appears there were still a few but in very small numbers. Note the following: "It is an established fact, and readily accepted as such, that the Confederate soldier was issued far more flintlock arms than his northern counterpart. Nevertheless a number of instances are recorded which indicate without question that at least some Federal soldiers went to war with flintlock muskets on their shoulders. After the Battle of Fredericksburg, for instance, fought in December, 1862, there were thirteen flintlock muskets included among the more than 9,000 recovered from the field by the Confederates." [6] Considered another way, this illustrates that by late 1862 almost all flintlocks were already replaced by percussion muskets in the Union army. 13 found out of over 9,000? This is a small fraction of a percent (.14%). We can conclude that flintlocks were rare by late 1862 in both the US and CS, especially in the Eastern Theater. Within six months by mid- 1863, supplies of imports and deliveries of new US model rifle-muskets would replace most of the older smoothbore muskets in the Union. And once the Union had new rifle-muskets, the Confederates captured them. After Chancellorsville in May 1863, reliable estimates put the number of captured US model 1861 rifle muskets in the hands of Confederates at 147,000. [7]

If battlefield success resulted in the capture of newer weapons, it stands to reason that defeats resulted in their loss. After the Confederate defeat at Missionary Ridge in November 1863, over 6,000 infantry arms were lost to capture by the Union. Hence out of desperation, smoothbore flintlock muskets were back in use in the trenches outside of Atlanta in mid-1864, if only as a stop gap measure until more modern rifled arms were available to replace them. [8]

Notes

1. Douglass Southall Freeman, Lee, (New York, NY), Touchstone Publishing, 1961, p. 126.
    2. Peter Cozzens, Shenandoah 1862: Jackson’s Valley Campaign (Chapel Hill, NC), UNC Press, 2008, p. 41. See also, Joe Selby, Stonewall Jackson as Military Commander, reprinted by Barnes & Noble Books, 1999, p. 48.
    3. Keith Gibson & George Whiting, “The US Model 1851 VMI Cadet Muskets”, North-South Traders Civil War Magazine, Volume 22 Sept 1995 p. 39
    4. L.G. Beadwell, “How We Were Armed”, Confederate Veteran Magazine, Volume 24, (Nashville, TN), 1916, p. 22.
    5. Scholars believe it was not until after Chancellorsville in early May 1863 that the majority of Confederates in the ANV had replaced their smoothbores with newer .58 rifle-muskets, both foreign imports and battlefield pick-ups. The smoothbore musket was still found in the CS ranks when Lee surrendered at Appomattox.
    6. Robert Reilly, US Military Small Arms 1816-1865, (Highland Park, NJ) Gun Room Press, 1983, p. 57.
    7. Claud E. Fuller & Richard Steuart, Firearms of the Confederacy, (Huntington, WV), Kessinger Publishing, 1944, p. 47. See also, Dennis Adler, Guns of the Civil War, (Minneapolis, Minnesota), Zenith Press, 2011, p.210 for a breakdown of Confederate battlefield pick-ups.
    8. Larry Daniel, Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee, (Chapel Hill, NC) UNC Press, 1991, p.47. While most CS soldiers in the AoT were well-outfitted by this point in the war, the loss of over six thousand infantry arms at Missionary Ridge left 369 men with no infantry arms at all during the Atlanta Campaign. See also Joe Bilby, Civil War Firearms: Their Historical Background and Tactical Use, (S. Boston, Mass), Da Capo Press, 1996. There is anecdotal evidence of a CS soldier in mid-1864 that was burned by black powder fragments from the flash pan of a flintlock fired by his file partner which was too close to his face.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 06-06-2019, 07:13 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: HOW WE WERE ARMED: Stonewall Brigade During the Valley Campaign - By Craig L. Barry

This was a great read. Thanks to Craig for another fine work.
    Thomas T. "Tommy" Warshaw III

Comment

Re: HOW WE WERE ARMED: Stonewall Brigade During the Valley Campaign - By Craig L. Barry

Very nice read. I currently do a 4thVA Valley Campaign Impression. Sadly due to low funds I have to use my springfield 61 from my Federal Impression. I hope to buy a 1842 in the future.

This is my impression so far. Need to replace some details such as the buckle and canteen.
      Kyle O'Brien
      Northern California : ACWA

20th Maine Co.G
      4th Virginia Co. A
      3rd US Artillery Co. B (1861)

Comment

Very curious about the 13 Feds armed with flintlocks. I wonder if possibly they were CS
        muskets that were traded in for something better during the night, before the official count happened
        Kevin Barnes

Comment

I wonder, too. I also wonder about Adler's source for the 147,000 1861 Springfields in Confederate hands after Chancellorsville. Given how they were accounted for (by caliber rather than year) and the likely number in US hands at that time, it seems off by a factor of ten. But I couldn't find anything in a quick search of the ORs.
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by KevinBarnes View Post
            Very curious about the 13 Feds armed with flintlocks. I wonder if possibly they were CS
            muskets that were traded in for something better during the night, before the official count happened
            That is a possibility, of course. The problem with the theory is until one side retreats, the battlefield is contested and anybody who might traipse through the mud to make a swap like that would be under fire. One could not advance under a flag of truce to exchange a few flintlocks for percussion muskets then get back behind the wall of Marye's Heights. Remember Joshua Chamberlain recounting his long night on the battlefield of Fredericksburg under fire and seeking cover behind a stack of corpses. And why only swap out 13? There had to be hundreds of flintlocks in the CS ranks.

I found that any flintlocks were in service on the Union side surprising as well, but there it is. The broader point is that today we tend to over represent the more modern .58 cal rifle-muskets, especially in the early war events.

As far as how the 147,000 captured arms break down, here is the full quote from Fuller & Steuart:

"It has been estimated on good authority that the Battle of the Wilderness netted 35,000 small arms, 2nd Manassas 20,000, Harpers Ferry 11,000, Fredericksburg 9,000, Antietam and Shiloh 27,500 Chancellorsville and Chickamauga 35,000 so that by the middle of 1863 there were more models of this type (US 1861) in Confederate hands than any other."

The other point of course is the arms all being US 1861s. The 13 flintlocks out of the 9,000 from Fredericksburg tells you they weren't all US 1861s. We also know there were quite a few Enfields in the AoP as well. This dichotomy is covered in one of The Unfinished Fight books. I think it's a bit of sloppy scholarship from Fuller & Steuart...and believe me when you look back on the mythology of the Centennial relative to the US Civil War, this is minor. You can take exception with the figures which are awfully round numbers but the point they make about the Confederacy getting sizeable numbers of modern arms courtesy of Uncle Sam is what's germane.
            Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-17-2014, 12:22 PM.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
              As far as how the 147,000 captured arms break down, here is the full quote from Fuller & Steuart:

"It has been estimated on good authority that the Battle of the Wilderness netted 35,000 small arms, 2nd Manassas 20,000, Harpers Ferry 11,000, Fredericksburg 9,000, Antietam and Shiloh 27,500 Chancellorsville and Chickamauga 35,000 so that by the middle of 1863 there were more models of this type (US 1861) in Confederate hands than any other."
              Does it bother you that the authors add totals from the Wilderness and Chickamauga to a count of weapons available to the Confederacy by mid-1863? Or that the totals come to 137,500 rather than 147,000?

It also seems odd that the number of weapons purportedly recovered by the Confederates after the Wilderness exceeds the casualties from both sides (and is twice that of the number of Federal casualties). That's a bit different from the ratio of Federal recoveries to total casualties at Gettysburg.

Something else that strikes me is that, from the list of Federal ordnance with the AoP at the end of 1862, .58 caliber Springfields constituted not much more than half of infantry long arms, others being the Enfield, Lorenz, and a hodgepodge of rifled and smoothbore .69s. So to say that all the captures were '61 Springfields seems an over-reach. And maybe I'm just being picky, but "It has been estimated on good authority" doesn't really resonate with me unless I know what the authority is.

I mean, your main point is well taken -- the standard rifle muskets are over-represented for reenactments of many of the battles of the war, especially the early ones. But the statement quoted is wrong on its face.
              Last edited by Pvt Schnapps; 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM. Reason: double commas
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                Does it bother you that the authors add totals from the Wilderness and Chickamauga to a count of weapons available to the Confederacy by mid-1863? Or that the totals come to 137,500 rather than 147,000?

It also seems odd that the number of weapons purportedly recovered by the Confederates after the Wilderness exceeds the casualties from both sides (and is twice that of the number of Federal casualties). That's a bit different from the ratio of Federal recoveries to total casualties at Gettysburg.

Something else that strikes me is that, from the list of Federal ordnance with the AoP at the end of 1862, .58 caliber Springfields constituted not much more than half of infantry long arms, others being the Enfield, Lorenz, and a hodgepodge of rifled and smoothbore .69s. So to say that all the captures were '61 Springfields seems an over-reach. And maybe I'm just being picky, but "It has been estimated on good authority" doesn't really resonate with me unless I know what the authority is.

I mean, your main point is well taken -- the standard rifle muskets are over-represented for reenactments of many of the battles of the war, especially the early ones. But the statement quoted is wrong on its face.
                Oh, it can't be right. Even if the figures did add up, and I might have transcribed their quote leaving a battle or two off, I can't rule it out---Fuller & Steuart don't elaborate on where this comes from. To recap my added comments in the post right before yours.The 13 flintlocks out of the 9,000 from Fredericksburg tells you they weren't all US 1861s. We also know there were quite a few Enfields in the AoP as well. This dichotomy is covered in one of The Unfinished Fight books. I think it's a bit of sloppy scholarship from Fuller & Steuart...and believe me when you look back on the mythology of the Centennial relative to the US Civil War, this is minor. You can take exception with the figures which are awfully round numbers but the point they (Fuller & Steuart) make about the Confederacy getting sizeable numbers of modern arms courtesy of Uncle Sam is what's germane.

That and of course Jackson did not enjoy the success he did in the Valley because his troops were better armed than their Union counterparts.
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM.
                Craig L Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                  Oh, it can't be right. Even if the figures did add up, and I might have transcribed their quote leaving a battle or two off, I can't rule it out---Fuller & Steuart don't elaborate on where this comes from. To recap my added comments in the post right before yours.The 13 flintlocks out of the 9,000 from Fredericksburg tells you they weren't all US 1861s. We also know there were quite a few Enfields in the AoP as well. This dichotomy is covered in one of The Unfinished Fight books. I think it's a bit of sloppy scholarship from Fuller & Steuart...and believe me when you look back on the mythology of the Centennial relative to the US Civil War, this is minor. You can take exception with the figures which are awfully round numbers but the point they (Fuller & Steuart) make about the Confederacy getting sizeable numbers of modern arms courtesy of Uncle Sam is what's germane.
                  That and of course Jackson did not enjoy the success he did in the Valley because his troops were better armed than their Union counterparts.

I totally agree with your main points about sizeable battlefield captures and the relative armaments in the Valley. Even half the reported total of captures would have equipped an army. Sorry to have quibbled -- it's the whole clerk thing. :)

I think the authors might have both conflated all battlefield recoveries with 1861 Springfields and all battlefield recoveries with just Union weapons. The Gettysburg report I mentioned is here: http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cg...=root;size=100 It addresses ordnance "collected" rather than captured and, based on some of the other correspondence, would I think include weapons lost by friendly units unable to recover them as well as leftovers from unofficial exchanges.
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Well taking the statement "...there were more models of this type (US 1861) in Confederate hands than any other" and examing it with even mild scrutiny doesn't hold water, even if what they were saying is more of the battlefield pickups were US 1861s than any other. What about all the Enfields the South was importing? I would think by mid-1863 more P53 Enfields were in Confederate hands than any other single model. One should question rather than repeat blanket statements, even to make a point. It is probably not the best quote I could have used to make the simple point that early battlefield successes netted the South a great many relatively modern weapons and by mid-1863 they were in sufficient numbers to retire many of their more obsolete small arms.

For example, here are the production figures for SPAR (Springfield Armory) for the period 1861-1865. This does not include independent contractor deliveries which were somewhat scarce before mid-1863. Hence, for the Confederacy to have captured 147,000 US 1861s by mid-1861, it would have been about 2/3 of all those delivered and issued by that time.

1861.............. . 13,803
                    1862.............. 102,410
                    1863.............. 217,784
                    1864.............. 276,200
                    1865............... 195,341

It is reasonably clear from the chart that US model rifle-musket production, at least at the Armory peaked in 1864. We also know that more Federal units were armed with the Enfield than the US models, including mixed companies with some of each through mid-1863. There is another article on here called "How Small Arms Were Issued" which bears this out.
                    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM.
                    Craig L Barry

Comment

I wonder if they mean that 147,000 arms were captured in total by mid 1863? During the Battle of Seven Pines the Confederates picked up 6700 Federal small arms arms from the field, even though there were only like 3000 official Federal casualties, many of the men of Casey's division threw away their arms as they ran away.

Will MacDonald

Comment

I think we can all agree the wording used by Fuller & Steuart is awkward and it is not clear exactly. Fuller is generally reliable and his later work The Rifled Musket is a classic. Claud E Fuller had the means to indulge himself and accumulated one of the finest collections of US military arms in history, with an emphasis on US made Civil War arms. He donated his collection to CHCH where it is meticulously preserved and available for the serious student of US Civil War arms to study in detail.

This is an excellent discussion and the thoughts/feedback are really appreciated.
                        Craig L Barry

Comment

Working...
                        X