Making Hardtack, Then and Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Hardtack, Then and Now

This might interest a few browsers. The attached article has a couple of pages of recipes for hardtack that a) use the army's extremely simple ingredients list; b) attempt to simulate period production methods in the home kitchen; and c) can actually be masticated if your teeth are intact. These are preceded by some ten pages of how I got there (including summaries of primary source specifications and observations), and followed, perhaps most usefully, by a dozen pages of pertinent excerpts from period accounts. Plus a few pictures to liven up the dreary stretches of prose.

No aspersions intended regarding those who have previously embarked on a deceptively simple but perplexing endeavor, and no claims of perfection. But I do hope the attached allows the average reenactor to recreate a foundational item in the army ration without, as I previously have, opting for vaguely passable substitutes. Bon appetit!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-05-2020, 11:50 AM.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Re: Making Hardtack, Then and Now

A recipe for a relatively palatable example of hardtack beyond the usual chunk-o-granite is always most welcome. Cheers Michael. :)
    Michael Semann
    AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Interesting read. Thank you for the insight. I'm curious to try your process.
      Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
      www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
      http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Danke / Thanks
        Thomas Dimoff

Comment

Thanks for the good Information :thumbs_up