The Model 1858 Uniform Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Model 1858 Uniform Hat

Well, I had this article posted on the old site and it disappeared. Some one posted a question concerning Hardee Hats (which also disappeared last week), so I thought I would put his one back on.
    Last edited by ScottCross; 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Re: The Model 1858 Uniforma Hat

I am attaching three images of the Bediant Hat, Company E, 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. This is the hat that was issued to members of the Iron Brigade in October 1861. Courtesy of the Oshkosh Public Museum, all rights reserved, not for reproduction without written consent.
    Last edited by ScottCross; 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Dear Sir ,
      Thank you ! I enjoyed the article and the photographs .
      all for the old flag ,
      David Corbett
      Dave Corbett

Comment

Mr Cross,
        Thank you for reposting this wonderful information and photos. Just more proof that you are not "in the way" in any manner; as for your age, I have no testimony.
        Lindsey
        Pat Brown

Comment

If you follow this hyperlink, it will take you to the reseach article that Paul McKee did for The Company Wag , The Journal of The Mudsills, Inc. It has everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) on Hardee Hats.

http://www.33wis.com/articles/pdf/Hardee%20Hat.pdf

Weed

as for Scott's age, I'm not telling as I am 5 years older than he is.
          Last edited by weed; 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM.
          John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
          The Hard Head Mess
          The Old Northwest Volunteers
          5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
          Civil War Battlefield Preservation
          Sons of American Revolution
          Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
          Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
          Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Update: The March 2007 issue of America's Civil War has a "dumned-down" version of this article with an image of Philander B. Wright's hat from the Wisconsin Veterans Museum.
            Scott Cross
            "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by weed View Post
              If you follow this hyperlink, it will take you to the reseach article that Paul McKee did for The Company Wag , The Journal of The Mudsills, Inc. It has everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) on Hardee Hats.

http://www.33wis.com/articles/pdf/Hardee%20Hat.pdf
              Mr. Wedeward,

I notice on your link that the you and the 33rd Wisconsin have posted on the internet copyrighted articles without the publisher's nor the author's permission. This is a violation of copyright law. I contacted one of the author's concerning permission to post his article on the internet, "I absolutely did not! Nor do they have permission to re-publish the Soldiers Three image pulled from a Wag issue."
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                Mr. Wedeward,
                I contacted one of the author's concerning permission to post his article on the internet, "I absolutely did not! Nor do they have permission to re-publish the Soldiers Three image pulled from a Wag issue."
                Mr. Stevens is rightfully guarded about use of that image. He found it, scanned it and a lot of people use it without permission. In truth, I took a copy of it originally for my 105th Ohio page and then had to find another source of the image when Mr. Stevens did not give permission. (I should have asked before the fact and not after the fact).

I did however obtain a scan of the image through Donald Gregory who has a user account here. Don helped Jay White and I with some of the research for the 105th Ohio and has a copy of "The Story of a Thousand" in which the image appears. I believe anyone can use this image with proper accreditation (listed at bottom).

Source:

The Story of a Thousand: Being a history of the Service of the 105th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the War for the Union from August 21, 1862 to June 6, 1865. Albion W. Tourgee. Buffalo, NY. S. McGerald & Son. 1896. Image edited by Donald Gregory and used with his permission.
                Last edited by paulcalloway; 01-05-2007, 10:34 AM.
                Paul Calloway
                Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                Proud Member of the GHTI
                Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
                X