Pocket Watch Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pocket Watch Primer

Possibly acceptable, but also hazardous. These things get dropped and fall out of pockets. Murphy says that the more expensive the watch, the greater chance of it being dropped or falling out (usually over a paved surface). Attaching a chain through a belt loop, around your braces or even around a button will work and provide extra security. And any metal fob is likely to fall into your pocket and bang aginst the watch.
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
    William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Re: Pocket Watch Primer Shepards Hook

Originally posted by claynpendleton View Post
      Check this out, one of the coolest hair/shepards' crook watch chains I have seen! :

If I didn't already have a nice one/ had the money I'd definitely snag this.
      -Clay Pendleton
      Great chain! I'd go for it if it didn't cost so much the feed the Spencer.
      [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."

Comment

Re: Pocket Watch Primer Shepards Hook

Thanks Bob. I have worn a chain that had a ring closure (not sure of the correct terminology here) attached to my braces in the past, but wasn't sure if that violated pocket watch etiquette or not.

Warren Dickinson
        Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
        Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill
        Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I appreciate this thread being revived as it is just "chock full" of wonderful information on pocket watches. Bob, you are to be congratulated for the research. Pocket watches rank right up there with period pipes as some of my favorite topics to discuss and I recently purchased an antique chain with a large bar and the comments on how they were displayed was helpful, as well.

Also, I was delighted to read Matt Woodburn's definition of a "horologist." After learning of his recent acquisition made on "Cinco de Mayo" I thought perhaps I was seeing a trend develop. :wink_smil

Seriously, excellent information.

regards,
          Mark
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thank you - it is always gratifying to be appreciated. I hope to have a few inspected, cleaned and oiled specimens for sale sometime in the future, if I can ever get my lazy butt away from the reloading bench.

The most often used term is "spring ring" for that type of closure.

As for "horologist," I too wait in anxious expectation for this to proceed in a favorable direction.
            Last edited by Union Navy; 05-19-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. It is very useful. I wish enterprising supplier would start reproducing period watches, so the original time pieces would not have the risk of getting lost or broken. Thanks again. Mike Croy, Artilleryman.
              Michael Croy

Comment

So I just picked up an original silver English pocket watch with gold hands that dates to the 1840s. It didn't come with a chain, but I recently aquired a really nice repro Victorian stye T-bar brass one. How "faux pas" historically would it be to wear the silver watch with a chain made of brass? Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, but I am usually horible when it comes to civilian fashion norms be it period or modern. Thanks in advance!
                Respectfully,
                Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Bob,

I bought an 1868 Waltham a few years ago in running condition. After just two twists of the key.... the spring snapped. It is now a blanket display item. What should I expect to pay to have a replacement spring put in, a general cleaning, and get it back to running condition?
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Don't know about the cost of parts, but I just got pricing for general repair/servicing for my watch. Depending on the shop, it ranged from $55-$95. The cheapest was the local watch repair, the most expensive was the more well known place of course.
                    Respectfully,
                    Jon Bocek

Comment

Wow... when I first broke it... I got a quote from a local guy wanting $400 to fix it. I paid $75 for the watch so I said... thats it... Its now a blanket display item. Looks like I need to shop around a bit more.
                      Brad Ireland
                      Old Line Mess
                      4th VA CO. A
                      SWB

Comment

Jon,
                        that is a good price! I need the name of your watchmaker!

Comment

There are watch and clock collector clubs all over the US that hold shows open to the public. These will be a good source to find the best in your local area. I know of only one in my area that is able to make a new spring from stock and this is the kind of guy you need to find.
                          Mike Stein
                          Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Depending on the model, you can get replacement mainsprings on ebay and a few other online parts retailers. Making springs from stock is getting to be a lost art. Installing them is not hard (with the right tools).

Comment

Sorry to ask again, but how "faux pas" historically would it be to wear a silver pocket watch with a brass chain? I am currently searching for a good Victorian Silver chain but until one turns up I was wondering if I can get away with using a brass one if it isn't that bad 1800s fashion wise. Thanks in advance!
                              Respectfully,
                              Jon Bocek

Comment

Bringing this discussion back to the top. I noticed that there is no mention about men wearing pocket watches from neck ribbons. Wartime images turn up from time to time showing neck ribbons with the watch shoved into a shirt pocket or even a pants pocket. Its a very secure method and doesn't require wearing a vest.The most notable example is the image of Myles Keogh wearing a neck ribbon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Myles-Keogh-5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	223714

Here's an antique one that sold on Etsy. I don't know the date of this one, but wartime examples were probably in a similar configuration:

Last edited by CompanyWag; 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM.
                                Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                                X