Frock Coat Assembly Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frock Coat Assembly Instructions

Years ago I wrote instructions to assemble a confederate frock coat and handed them out as part of my sewing workshop. Since then I've heard of scores of people making 2nd and 3rd and 15th generation photo copies of these instructions.

So, stop making copies, I'm making these instructions free for everyone to use. I hope this helps all you do it yourselfers make better garments.

Just click here and start sewing:

Enjoy!
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Frock Coat Assembly Instructions

Mr. Daley,

Obliged. I WILL put this to good use.

Comment

I keep hoping that one of these days someone will do a federal frock course or instruction guide.

Chris, some pictures are missing from your web site.
      Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Chris,

Oh, how I wish I'd had these instructions when I made my first frock from a kit!!!!!

Once you've learned the jargon, the brevity of County Cloth instructions are kinda nice. However, the first time you do a garment like a frock... not so nice. Your instructions look like they do a great job filling in the gaps for a newbie.

The instructions for buttonholes are great... Using chisels to cut the buttonholes is a HUGE help!!!

Thanks!!!
        Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 02-27-2008, 07:37 AM.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for posting this - it is a great learning tool as well as reference. I love the sleeve setting instructions and pictures - that always kicks my rear quarters on a garment. I plan to refrence these steps on an upcoming RD2 project.

Y.O.S.
          Last edited by Marc29thGA; 02-27-2008, 06:06 AM. Reason: Added to post
          [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
          Dirigo Grays
          CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
          Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Awesome, man. Many thanks for sharing.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

What timing! I'm getting ready to sew my first frock. Thank you for sharing.
              Edward Watson
              Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
              You can never do more,
              You should never wish to do less."
              -Robert E. Lee

Comment

I was lucky to have been able to purchase this when Chris offered them. They are a big help. Thanks Chris for putting it online for everyone. See you in May.
                Timothy J. Koehn
                Boone's Louisiana Battery
                Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 55th VVI View Post
                  I keep hoping that one of these days someone will do a federal frock course
                  I've contemplated that, but it would have meet certain parameters.

It would have to be at least 3 days long, it would have to be limited to 7 people and participants would have to be intermediate to expert. You can't put one of those together as a beginner.

The cost of such a class given the fabric and the cost of the room would almost be as much as a finished coat.
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by 55th VVI View Post
                    I keep hoping that one of these days someone will do a federal frock course or instruction guide.
                    Actually, there are TWO, one for Federal enlisted, and one for officers, on the Sewing Academy website:

Enlisted: http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=1663.0
                    Officers: http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=666.0

The author is Jim Ruley, who runs one of the workshops at the Civilian's Conference in Harrisburg PA in March.

Granted, these are discussion group threads, but the really great parts are the techniques Jim uses for sewing particular pieces. Plus there are all sorts of threads on building just about anything military or civilian of the Civil War/Victorian era. If you invest in a frock pattern from Homespun Patterns, or one of the other vendors shown on the James County Merchantile website, or a Childs kit or whomever, you will be able to build a respectable frock with just basic to moderate sewing skills. I've built several shirts, drawers, coats and trousers with the tips I've gleaned there.
                    Lynn Kessler
                    Co. C
                    Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
                    The Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by toccoa42 View Post
                      Actually, there are TWO, one for Federal enlisted, and one for officers, on the Sewing Academy website:.
                      See, there you go, you can get anything you want from the comfort of your home off the internet.

Comment

Chris,

Can you fix the blank picture issue on the instructions when you get some time?
                        Edward Watson
                        Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
                        You can never do more,
                        You should never wish to do less."
                        -Robert E. Lee

Comment

Chris,
                          If you ever offered the course I would sign me and my wife up. She could learn how to make the frock, and I could watch in awe. Sewing and windows are two things I don't do.:D
                          Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Originally posted by edwardwatson View Post
                            Chris,

Can you fix the blank picture issue on the instructions when you get some time?
                            I would, but I don't see anything blank. I've checked in on a few computers and there doesn't seem to be any broken images. You might have to be more specific in what you can't see.

Comment

Terence,
                              are you using a Firefox browser or an Internet Explorer? I found the same problem with Firefox. I switched over to my IE and they worked fine.
                              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                              WIG/GVB
                              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Working...
                              X