Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Confederate Haversacks...

All,
    I am currently looking to gather information/images on the various types of Confederate haversacks for my own personal research. The MoC collection currently has the following in its collection:

Thomas Brooke, Richmond Howitzers (leather double-bag)
    Henry Neal, Breathed’s Battery (cotton cloth)
    A.H. Bayley, Peyton’s Artillery (waterproofed canvas – two different haversacks)
    Unknown Georgia soldier (striped cotton)
    W. Spinlin (cotton)
    Moses Alexander (cotton)
    J.T. Jobson, 9th VA Infantry (waterproofed canvas)
    James Poague, 1st VA Cavalry (leather)

But I don't know of any others besides the ones listed in EoG that could be in State or Private collections. Any help in identify those or obtaining more information/images of additional haversacks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Respectfully,
    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Re: Original Confederate Haversacks...

Check out this website. Relic dealer in Tennessee. In new items # 20 Confederate Haversack. Not the best pictures but its something.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

While that haversack (#20) may have been used by a confederate, it is definitely a Mexican War bag. I just examined one in detail last weekend...it looked identical to the one pictures and was used by a Pennsylvania soldier in the first few months of the war.

Adam Dickerson
      Adam Dickerson

Comment

I love this one, I have a repro of it. Very roomy, similar size to a Federal Haversack.

Hope this helps.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks to those who responded so far. As it turns out, the MoC has the Henry Neal (Breathed’s Battery) haversack on display at their Appomattox site, so they won't be able to send an object worksheet for that one. Does anyone already have good notes/sketches/photos of this original they would be willing to share? Thanks again!
          Respectfully,
          Jon Bocek

Comment

Does anyone have specs and additional photos of the Gettysburg haversack that Mike Barnes posted above?

Also, in regards to the construction of the Moses Alexander haversack, does anyone have an image of the part where the flap meets the main bag side seam? I am trying to figure out how the felled edge of the flap joins the main bag side stitch as I would think the felled flap edge woud need more cloth than the main bag side seam as shown in the Confederate Sketchbook. Don't want to mess up a detail if I can avoid it when making this bag.

Thanks in advance for help on both above questions.

Jon, you have to post your first and last name when using the AC, not J.M. These are the rules, which can be found here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...w_faq_item1998
            Thanks, Herb Coats - Moderator
            Last edited by Coatsy; 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM. Reason: Need to use full first and last name.
            Respectfully,
            Jon Bocek

Comment

I have the writeup with pics of the haversack at home, I'm in Chicago on vacation until Monday. I'll email you the PDF when I get home. PM me your email address.
              Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Bump! I am still trying to find interior seam details for the area of the Moses Alexander haversack show circled in red (see image). Any help in getting this info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Click image for larger version

Name:	ALEXANDER_HAVERSACK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	223527
                Respectfully,
                Jon Bocek

Comment

Has anyone seen the original striped cloth Confederate haversack with the cloth tie closure in person? I have the MoC's worksheet but it doesn't specify if its machine sewn or hand done. Thanks!
                  Respectfully,
                  Jon Bocek

Comment

The Yancey Dean haversack in the SC state museum is an interesting variation. It is documented to Yancey Dean, Co. B, Hampton Legion, if I recall correctly.
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by poilu1917 View Post
                      Has anyone seen the original striped cloth Confederate haversack with the cloth tie closure in person? I have the MoC's worksheet but it doesn't specify if its machine sewn or hand done. Thanks!
                      It is machine chain stitched.

-Craig Schneider
                      Craig Schneider

Comment

Found these two. Only images from different museums and very little info, but look interesting.

Scroll down to :
                        "HAVERSACK
                        This tarred haversack belonged to Thomas Benbury Haughton, Chaplain of the 50th NC Regiment. Haughton was paroled in Greensboro, NC May 1, 1865.
                        Washington County"

AND

Scroll down to 3 images of what looks like a very interesting specimen w/ canvas bag and oil cloth flap: CONFEDERATE HAVERSACK FROM CONNECTICUT G.A.R. POST CAPTURED AT OLUSTEE BY
                        MEMBERS OF THE 7TH CONN. INF. OLD INK INSCRIPTION SAYS COL. HAWLEY'S CHARGE
                        Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

I love this one, I have a repro of it. Very roomy, similar size to a Federal Haversack.

Hope this helps.
                          Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH
                          Mike, I just saw this post, but the Atlanta History Center has at least one and perhaps two haversacks on display that look very similar to the one in the Gettysburg Collection posted by you.
                          Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                          Yocona Rip Raps
                          "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Originally posted by BobRoeder View Post
                            Found these two. Only images from different museums and very little info, but look interesting.

Scroll down to :
                            "HAVERSACK
                            This tarred haversack belonged to Thomas Benbury Haughton, Chaplain of the 50th NC Regiment. Haughton was paroled in Greensboro, NC May 1, 1865.
                            Washington County"

AND

Scroll down to 3 images of what looks like a very interesting specimen w/ canvas bag and oil cloth flap: CONFEDERATE HAVERSACK FROM CONNECTICUT G.A.R. POST CAPTURED AT OLUSTEE BY
                            MEMBERS OF THE 7TH CONN. INF. OLD INK INSCRIPTION SAYS COL. HAWLEY'S CHARGE
                            That haversack at Olustee is wild! I like it!
                            Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                            Yocona Rip Raps
                            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Originally posted by GenuineInformation View Post
                              Mike, I just saw this post, but the Atlanta History Center has at least one and perhaps two haversacks on display that look very similar to the one in the Gettysburg Collection posted by you.
                              Joseph, do you have any info or photos of it? I looked on the Atlanta History Center website and didn't find anything.
                              Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Working...
                              X