Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on early war Florida Infantry Uniforms

Gentlemen,

I have been in the mainstream side of the hobby for just over five years now, I am currently taking a brake so that I can earn enough money to pay my way through school. However, in my "brake" period I figured I would use my time to improve my impression.

One of the things I am having trouble finding is information on Florida infatry unit uniforms and equipment durring the early part of the war, say early 1861 through the spring of 1862. I am looking for Florida infantry units in general and Inparticular the 1st Florida infantry Regiment / Battalion.

From what I have read so far it is probably going to be some kind of commutation uniform or a contracted uniform from Georiga or Alabama. But what material, style, and "embellishments" (buttons, trim, &c.) the unifrom is made of I have had a hard time finding.

If anyone has done research on this before, or know of good sorces of information to point me towards I would appreciate it!

Regards,

Karl
    Karl Jacob

Here's a photo of George Cornelius Richwood of Company H, 1st Florida, enlisted March, 1861. Perhaps photographed early in the war. Looks like a frock coat, most likely gray.

Here's another image, of Pvt. William Denham of Company A, 1st Florida...

Learn about William Denham, a brave soldier from Monticello, Florida. He served in the West Florida Seminary, the 1st Florida Infantry, the 2nd Florida Cavalry, and Captain Scott's 5th Florida Battalion. Discover his remarkable journey and sacrifices for his country.

Not many good descriptions of the uniforms of these companies, which they procured themselves. But the above images give the best idea of the fashion. See also the photos of various CS troops at Pensacola in 1861, photographed by J.D. Edwards. The 1st served there for quite a while ni the war's first year.
    James "Archie" Marshall
    The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
    Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
    X