Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help locating original jacket

Hello,

About 20 years ago, I stumbled upon an original confederate jacket that was pictured in a book or online. I have been searching for this jacket for some time to no avail. If my memory serves me right, it was worn at the battle of Shiloh and taken off and placed as a pillow under a dying officer or general's head under a big oak tree. The jacket I believe was a grayish / butternut color. It had two slash pockets on the outside and may or may not of had epaulets. The interesting thing was that it may of had a one piece back like a Tait jacket so it was either a three or five piece body. I am searching for photos or would like to hear from someone who has examined this jacket. This is what I remember but some things may be off. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle Karoliussen

Re: Need help locating original jacket

Kyle,

The jacket was worn by Thomas Murfree, 6th Alabama at Antietam and he placed it under the head of General Gordon. There was an article on it THE WATCHDOG in the spring of 2000. It has a 4 piece body, 2 pice sleeves and had the 2 slant front pockets and functional shoulder epaulettes with 7 buttons.

Most Confederate uniform buffs are familiar with the prolific state issue uniforms from North Carolina during the Civil War, but there is far less awareness of the Alabama quartermaster clothing. ...

Brian Baird

Comment

Re: Need help locating original jacket

Brian,

Thanks for the info. It is strange how close the Murfree jacket is and with the back ground story but that is not the one. The one I saw was in quite good shape and I am certain it was used at Shiloh and had a one piece back, that's why it stood out to me. The search continues.

Kyle Karoliussen

Comment

Working...
      X