Schuylkill Arsenal Infantry & Signal Corps jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schuylkill Arsenal Infantry & Signal Corps jacket

I'm looking for primary sources on the authorization, manufacture and distribution of the low collar, untrimmed Schuylkill Arsenal jacket worn by some Infantry and Signal Corps troops. Do any of you have any documents showing a specific regiment or soldier was issued this jacket? I'm aware of the Quartermaster Report of 1865, but it contains a lot of errors and inconsistencies. Photos of identified soldiers wearing this jacket are welcome, especially if they can be dated. Kindly distinguish the Schuylkill jacket from the state issue and private purchase examples. I've tried to post photos, but they are not being uploaded
    Michael Cunningham

Re: Schuylkill Arsenal Infantry & Signal Corps jacket

Mike,
    I have been collecting images of SA "Infantry/Signalmen's" type jackets over the last several years as well as of other jackets that Schuylkill Arsenal produced (MSJ, Veteran's Reserve Corps, etc.) as a background research project. Probably the best study opportunity I have had for the Infantry type was at the Army Museum in Carlisle, PA a couple of years ago where I did a full photo study of the details (71 pictures) on an original in their collection. I have also seen some Quartermaster data on production or issues for them. That may be what you are referring to in the Draft 1865 Quartermaster Manual. Unfortunately I don't have access to my copy at the moment (away from home for the summer) but I do recall that the information was difficult to interpret. I will also look through my other files (I tend to be something of a 'pack rat' on bits of information) to see if I have anything else of relevance.

However, an interesting example that turned up in my research on a Heritage Auctions online catalog. I found a contract example illustrated in the attached pictures that I copied from their site. Apparently the Quartermaster Department also contracted for production of the same jacket (pattern, materials, etc.) from J.T.Martin. This may have been a special run under a very limited contract perhaps even a prototype since such jackets are not, I believe, among the items listed for Martin in the QM contracts with that company during the war but it adds another twist to the story of those jackets. As you continue your research I will be interested in what you find as I said above I have also been looking into them.

Using the search function here on the Forum I did find a thread that discusses these jackets which you may already be aware of. Among the posts is a link to a Chris Daley piece that has a 3 November 1864 Report from the Quartermaster to the Secretary of War that gives some data. Actually I believe this may be the source of the information I mentioned above. The link is : https://www.authentic-campaigner.com...fantry+Jackets. There is also a post on the J.T. Martin contract version which includes the pictures I show below.

Dick Milstead
    The Company of Military Historians

Click image for larger version

Name:	lf4SEMRQEA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	225663Click image for larger version

Name:	lfW84BJB06.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	225664Click image for larger version

Name:	lfXRYH13SB.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	225665Click image for larger version

Name:	lfFOBMCVPC.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	225666
    Last edited by rmilstead; 07-23-2019, 08:48 AM.
    Richard Milstead

Comment

Working...
    X