Tent Halves: How do I do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Halves: How do I do it?

I've looked at this months Bully Buy. I'm considering purchasing ONE shelter half. Is it possible to make half a tent? You know, keep the direct sun, wind, and rain off? I used to be in the RA Infantry so I know a little bit about Hooch building, just not Civil War hooch building. Or will I be left to just roll-up under the shelter half on the ground. Any experienced campaigner, please give me some advice. I'm about 6'1", will I be able to reasonably fit under half a tent?

Thanks

Mike McMaster

Re: Tent Halves: How do I do it?

Just like in the Army it is best to buddy up for the second half and make a whole tent.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

I agree with Mr. Kindred in pairing up is the way to go...esp. since you are tall like myself. I have used only a half before combined with a gum blanket(or poncho) at one end. You rig up your half then tie on your gum blanket to either end. Make sure that your head is under the half then extend out your gum blanket to accommodate your feet and fold in the rest. If you desire you can stake down your gum blanket or throw your traps over the flap you have folded under. Hope you can make sense of this. The only flaw with this design is that you have only your blanket between you and the ground(depending on what you are carrying)

Respectfully,
      Ryan McIntyre
      124th New York State Volunteers
      Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
      Joseph H. Johnston
      March 16th 1863
      Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
      Henry M Howell
      March 8 1863
      In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

The neat thing about the shelter halves, is that, if they're all made correctly, they can be buttoned together more than two at a time. This is very nice for shebang-making, or for winter events where you want to gather a large number together for body heat. Also, if you're 6'1", one end of you is likely to get somewhat moist should it rain, but nothing too bad. If it's necessary to use only one, you can fashion some sort of shebang using trees and rubber blanket/groundcloth assortment. But in all likelihood, if the event regs allow shelter halves, then someone is gonna have one you can hook up with.

That being said, I've owned a tent half for a couple of years now and I've yet to use it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't snatch up this deal, but I don't find that I ever have much use for them.

--Craig Solomon
        Tar Water Mess
        GHTI

Comment

If you want to try your hand at it, this is General Order 60, Quartermaster's Office, December 12, 1864. These are dimensions for the Late War shelter half. I drew up a pattern with dimensions for this shelter half, if I could only find it i'd scan it and post it.

James
          James K. Masson

Comment

I encourage you to go with the Bully Buy.

But if you're curious, the Olathe Guard has a pair of good articles on making both early and late war shelter halfs.

and click on "articles" on the left.

John T
            John Taylor

Comment

Or you could also forget about erecting shelter and just throw the tent half on top of you, or under you (even better). I've even found that in some cases, depending on the scenario you're portraying, you may not even need a tent half. Something interesting that I learned last year was the regiment I was portraying for the June-August months had some shelter tent halves but those were condemned after issuance due to the corners having been ripped out! Quite a useless piece of tenting.

Some rails under you and a gum blanket on top keep the wet stuff away as good as any tent half.

Brian White
              Randolph Mess, USSS
              Slackerz Saloon Mess, GHTI
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by 107thman
                I've looked at this months Bully Buy. I'm considering purchasing ONE shelter half. Is it possible to make half a tent? You know, keep the direct sun, wind, and rain off? I used to be in the RA Infantry so I know a little bit about Hooch building, just not Civil War hooch building. Or will I be left to just roll-up under the shelter half on the ground. Any experienced campaigner, please give me some advice. I'm about 6'1", will I be able to reasonably fit under half a tent?

Thanks

Mike McMaster
                Let your imagination run wild...

QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL'S OFFICE, Washington City, January 2, 1862.

THE SHELTER-TENT. The shelter-tent is of much use to the soldiers. 1. It serves, buttoned up, as a bag, in which the man sleeps, under the large tent, or anywhere. 2. It serves as a bag to collect provisions and forage. 3. The men, buttoning them together, make of them tents or galleries, under which they are protected from the cold and rain. The more men unite, the better the tent, but eight men together can make an excellent tent.

M. C. MEIGS, Quartermaster. Genial.

Comment

I suggest buying "The Federal Shelter Tent" by Frederick C. Gaede. It is available just about everywhere and will tell you alot of the subject.

Good luck,

RW
                  Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                  – George Washington , 1789

Comment

There are a couple of things to consider when deciding two halves or not two halves. Living history encampment panoramas look better the more tents you can manage. A lot of time we will bring both halves to "fill out" the camp.

When you are actually marching or campaigning, you won't want to do that. All things being equal, I have probably had more luck toting one shelter half when mild or cool weather is in the offing.
                    Fred Grogan
                    Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Working...
                    X