Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchsafes

Pards,
    Regarding the tins that sutlers call matchsafes, is there any evidence that these boxes were actually in production during the time? I don't really mean as storing matches, but more along the lines of keepsake boxes. Just curious.

Thanks,
    Zach Whitlow
    [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
    Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Matchsafes

Match safes were used, probably more of a luxury item, and not in the pocket of the average soldier or working man I would guess, but they were around back then. Antique stores usually feature the high end sterling silver examples, because, well they were valuable and not tossed out.

There was a real nice gutta percha example on e-bay some time back, that is documented to the ACW period. The tin ones with the sliding top that sutlers sell look a little hokey to me. As do the larger tins, just the right size for twenty Marlboros.
    Fred Grogan
    Sykes' Regulars

Comment

I take it from your post that you are not looking for a match safe or vesta but rather a keep sake box. Well in that case go with something a little larger and maybe something along the material lines of wood. I have found a lot of the "keep sake" boxes around the middle of america to be carved out of wood and pretty ornate, which neither are the qualities of the match safes skinner row sells. If you are by chnace looking for a match safe or vesta, there are a few things you can do, 1) go to a local antique shop and pick one up for 10-15 dollars, or 2) go to ebay, i bougt a lot of 2 there a few years back for 5 bucks after shipping. These vestas are very simular in shape to each other but they are made of verious materials from tin-wood-leather-brass-silver-etc. They all are fo the up right sleeve or flip top variety much like a zippo is today with strike plates on the bottom. Ebay Vesta
      Mitchell L Critel
      Wide Awake Groupie
      Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Alright, thank you guys! I do really appreciate the help. I now have a few more options; I looked on my own and couldn't find a darn thing.

Thanks again,
        Zach Whitlow
        [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
        Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
        X