Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: canteens

To clarify,

Though I do a Confederate impression most all of the time, recently I have participated in mainstream Federal impression events with a borrowed canteen. I am looking for a model 1858 smoothside or any other genarl Federal canteen that may be used across the impressions for around $50.

Thanks again!

- Jon Harris
    "Dippin' Gourd Mess"
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

The best Federal canteens on the market are Orchard Hill's 'Campaigner Canteens' for $75. So an extra $25 but considering the price of farby canteens its a deal.

However I have to go with Paul B. - a good tin drum canteen (which sell for $50 at both Orchard Hill and S&S) would do best for a CS impression. I have a captured Federal smoothside but I disdain the freshly issued look most 'captured' gear has, complete with jack chain (which btw was only New York canteens) and cover with issued strap. Unless you're really tight for money, this will fly. But if you have a look at most captured Federal canteens you can see they've been well 'Confederized' with different straps and buckles, corks and coverings (often without).
      I have a tin smoothside that I have torn the cover off and am waiting on a Hughes, Pendergrass and Snow sling; making it an exact copy of the one on pg 208 in EoG (except two large dents on either side due to my brother using it as a prop in a school movie project). Eventually though I'll have to get a wooden or tin drum canteen, simply because the smoothside restricts me in regards to time and place.

Just my 2c but I hope this helps Jon!

Kind Regards,
      [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="3"]Paul Norris[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
      [SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Georgia"]19th Alabama Infantry
      [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]
      [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
      Backwaters 1865 - S.U.G., Company A

Comment

Thanks for your inputs friends.

One quick question before I decide and purchase my first canteen.. Were the CS Tin Drums ever covered in jeans wool or kersey? Is it a better Confederate impression to have an uncovered Tin Drum Canteen because of the cooling action of a cover as well as the camoflauge effect? I'm looking at possibly getting a half flat/half convex hot-dipped regular Tin Drum Canteen (no CS embossed) w/ rolled tin spout. Is this a good purchase for AOT for most of the war? Also, should I get a leather sling for it eventually if I do get a CS Tin Drum Canteen or did these feature mostly woven slings?

Any input would be appreciated,

- Jon Harris

"Dippin' Gourd Mess"
        Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
        Ora pro nobis!

~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
        ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
        ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jon The Beloved View Post

Were the CS Tin Drums ever covered in jeans wool or kersey?
          Yes, I've now seen at least two tin drum canteens covered in jeans cloth...and another that appears to be covered in a light-medium weight canvas, which has been soaked with oil.

Is it a better Confederate impression to have an uncovered Tin Drum Canteen because of the cooling action of a cover as well as the camoflauge effect?
          Now, it appears you mixed up the question...as a covered canteen will have a cooling/camaflouge affect. I believe it comes down to documentation...and personal prefference...there are far greater tin drum canteens that exists sans the cover...but I have yet to see a tin drum canteen at an event with a cover (despite having now seen a few originals with such).

I'm looking at possibly getting a half flat/half convex hot-dipped regular Tin Drum Canteen (no CS embossed) w/ rolled tin spout. Is this a good purchase for AOT for most of the war?
          Don't know...I'm not up on my AOT stuff.

Also, should I get a leather sling for it eventually if I do get a CS Tin Drum Canteen or did these feature mostly woven slings?
          By far...the most common slings i've seen on canteens appear to be folded linen slings. That isn't to say that leather, or woven slings weren't used in greater numbers...but if we're talking "in tact" with the canteen...these would seem to be very prevalent...In the end...I believe it once again comes down to what you can specifically document to your impression...and then a matter of personal preference.
          Paul B.
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Thanks Paul! I'll do some searchin'. I know the canteen is important to the impression.. I mean it was a lifesaver to the soldiers of the day.. I'd like to do it and do it right.

- Jon Harris

"Dippin' Gourd Mess"
            Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
            Ora pro nobis!

sigpic

Comment

Just for the record, I purchased a convex sided hot tin dipped tin drum canteen from Orchard Hill. Remember, hot dipped costs $10 more than beeswax lined.....However, i believe it to be a great purchase and is BY FAR the best canteen I have owned. Time will tell if the hot dipped tin outlasts the ol' regular stuff....however, I believe it will. The main thing...after using it, rinse it out with baking soda water and store it with the cork out.
              My research on this showed that there are tons of different confederate canteens and different versions of the same canteens. The tin drum seems to show up in pictures throughout the war in the east and west. Yes some get covered...most not. Linen or woven straps seem to be the norm...there are some leather.....
              The split leather sling shows up in some period pictures...there's another post ongoing now that discusses the split leather sling.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Jon: Before you make up your mind take a look at a few originals here.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hi,

I have only seen one tin drum canteen, with a wool jean cover, at a event.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.
                  Now, it appears you mixed up the question...as a covered canteen will have a cooling/camaflouge affect. I believe it comes down to documentation...and personal prefference...there are far greater tin drum canteens that exists sans the cover...but I have yet to see a tin drum canteen at an event with a cover (despite having now seen a few originals with such).
                  Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I'd like to thank folks like Jim......Jim, you share a lot of information/research and do not complain or lecture about giving it up....our community is in debt to you!

You can search the LOC for images and you can also access several good confederate pictures on the images threads here on the forum...good luck in your search!
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hi,

Luke, I totally agree. He is a great help with information on equipment!!!! Thanks Jim
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                      X