Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking in Brogans

Folks,

I just received a pair of Robert Land's English Import Brogans. What, besides walking 100 miles, would be the best way to soften the uppers?

Thanks
    Kevin Grant
    Joe Grant

Re: Breaking in Brogans

Originally posted by Cpl. Parker View Post
    Folks,

I just received a pair of Robert Land's English Import Brogans. What, besides walking 100 miles, would be the best way to soften the uppers?

Thanks
    Kevin Grant
    Kevin,

Unfortunately, since they are brand-new...wearing them is about the only effective way of breaking them in. There are of course two approaches:

1. Wear them for a full weekend, all the time, in everything you do.
    2. Wear them frequently, but for short durations of time...some have recommended in the past to cut the grass while wearing them.

All sorts of things have been discussed on the forum in the past, such as soaking the shoes thoroughly and then wearing them till dry....to oiling them up good with Dubbin, Neatsfoot Oil...etc. In the end none of the applications you will make will break them in any faster if not wearing the shoes (but they may help).

Sorry this probably wasn't the answer you're looking for...but such is life...

Paul B.

One who has to suffer the "brand-new" unit loaner shoes this weekend, for being a moron and leaving his shoes in the parking lot at last weekends event...:cry_smile
    Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 06-26-2008, 02:38 PM. Reason: clarify
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I give my new Brogans or boots a nice covering of dubbin (I like Kelly's) and work it into the leather. Be careful not to use too much. This makes the leather softer, and helps with waterproofing. After that just wear them around the house and yard. The idea is to get them most of the way broken in before your first event with them. Give them a dubbin rubdown as needed. Invest in shoe trees also, as they will add years to the life of your shoes. Just remember that these are not modern throw-away boots, and they need some care and feeding.
      Frank Perkin

Comment

Paul and Frank,

I will follow your advice, work the uppers by hand and wear the boots around the house.

Thanks
        Kevin Grant
        Last edited by Cpl. Parker; 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM. Reason: space between words
        Joe Grant

Comment

Greetings,

This is my first post in several years (mainly due to an unfortunate three-year departure from the hobby), but I'd like to weigh in on this topic a little. Over the years, during which time I had two disparate tenures in the hobby, I tried breaking in shoes by both of the methods suggested above; periodic wearing/oiling/gradual breaking in, and the second option, soaking, wearing till dry, oiling. In my own personal, though limited experience, the first option was always better for me. I really think that by wearing a new pair of boots on a routine basis, while at home, working, outside chores, etc, is a much better way to break in brogans. I broke in my first pair this way and they were comfortable for years. My next pair, I soaked in the same way I might have a pair of WWII service boots and still found myself pretty uncomfortable. So, my advice is, don't purchase a pair of boots/shoes right before an event, get them ahead of time and break them in over several months, applying oil as needed (not too much), etc.

Sam Dolan
          Samuel K. Dolan
          1st Texas Infantry
          SUVCW

Comment

I had a nice, new pair of boots at Chicamauga '13. yadda, yadda, yadda*... they fit me nicely now and are very comfortable.

* for those who didn't make it to Chicamauga 150... it rained on Saturday... a lot!

On a serious note:
            I would echo those who recommend wearing the boots around before your first event. My Chicamauga boots were very comfortable, but I have had other brogans that were not. With a different pair of brogans, I wore them to an event the first time and we were marched directly through a creek on Saturday at first light. By Sunday, my feet were S-O-R-E!! I've never had an issue with footwear breaking down due to the "wearing wet" method of breaking in... but doing that at an event can be tough on the ol' dogs!!
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 05-30-2015, 08:21 AM.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

My information came from a variety of sources. These sources have included DOD, Authentic Campaign approved vendors and back packing affiliations. This will be a menu of options. Mine is a beeswax based dubbing, boiled water in and out, wear them, wear them wear them. The boiled water method will destroy cheap shoes so you've been warned.
              Brogans need to be broken in. They get this way by wearing them. Do this at home before an event. Methods include and are not restricted to the following for easing the break-in procedure: Soak the whole boot and wear until dry, pour boiling water in and then out and put on immediately, pour rubbing alcohol in allowing soaking, pouring out and putting on immediately. Options 2 and 3 may need to be repeated if chosen but can be accomplished over several days. The 1860 toe box is not the same as the 2010 toe box. Keep nails trimmed and do discuss this and other fit issues (e.g. orthopedic inserts) with your shoe maker/provider if you think this will be an issue. You can get a limited amount of stretch during break-in but don’t expect Nike type room. Feet unaccustomed to solid leather soles will feel beat up after a day’s walk. Break yourself in. Options include wearing double socks or inserts. Period inserts were cork or fleece. Cork inserts have the advantage in that you can make your own arch support. I put on about 1 mile a week on my brogans as I find that regular exercise of the shoe seems to keep them feeling good.
              Several brogan manufacturers have a shoe care page that are worth consulting.
              Mike Stein
              Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

I was also a Chickamauga Georgia in 2013, riding with the 8th Texas Cavalry a.k.a. Terry's Texas Rangers. My month old cavalry boot were giving me problems so I was glad to be on horse back. But one thing I will never forget, while sitting on horse back waiting for the Yankees to show up, the water was running down my poncho and right into the boots. They were, let us say, rather troublesome to remove. Since then they are the most comfortable pair of boots that I have ever owned. My next pair will get the same treatment.
                Joey Hernandez Co. I 8th Texas Cavalry

38 Confederate Ancestors and Counting!

Comment

Working...
                X