Fit of trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fit of trousers

I have recently decided to get into the federal side of the hobby. I've purchased a pair of ********* JT Martin Trousers. They are a military size 3, and have a little extra room in the waist. They are also slightly long, so I rolled them up. In comparing the fit of these trousers to that of my CS trousers I've noticed that the federal trousers are noticably wider(looser) at the bottom. Obviously, they aren't made from the same pattern, so I was hoping some of you federal guys could tell me is this normal or should I get the next size down? Personally, I don't like the wider looser fit but if that's the way this pattern trouser fits then I can grow to like it.

Thanks ahead of time for your insight
    Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Re: Fit of trousers

It sounds like they are correctly made. Federal trousers were cut full throughout the legs. Keep in mind, that they were issued in 4 sizes so if they are too big, that's what the quartermaster issued to you.
    Brian Baird

Comment

Congratulations, you now have a museum quality 19th century standard Army issue crappy fit.

This meshes well with the museum quality 19th century P.O.S. quality of other reenacting itmes, like a correct shelter half. If it doesn't leak water like a sieve, it's too good.
      Last edited by JustRob; 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM.
      Robert Carter
      69th NYSV, Co. A
      justrobnj@gmail.com
      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Loose in the seat is the correct fit - that allows you to bend over and sit down without having the braces buttons suddenly "fly away".
        Tommy Attaway

Company of Military Historians, & etc.

Knox-Corinthian #851, A. F. & A. M. of Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Reenactor7thtenn View Post
          They are a military size 3, and have a little extra room in the waist. They are also slightly long, so I rolled them up.
          Supposed to be long..... no need to roll them up.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

Hallo!

In brief and to over-generalize...

Yes, Federal trousers were based upon a preWar pattern with what might be described as a loose butt and wider stovepipe type straightish legs. On the other hand, often times, typically Confederate trouser patterns such as Richmond Depot issue were "done new" and reflect the shift in current civilian trouser wear.

In brief and to over-generalize...

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

There are two sizes in the Army...

... too big and too small.

-Johnny Lloyd
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

A nice photo showing lots of trousers on Feds in the field.... "Falmouth, Va. Men and wagons of the Engineer Corps ambulance train"

small version:

TIFF version (10 megs):
                Paul Boccadoro
                Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

This is a bit off topic but it appears the soldiers playing cards have smiles on their faces. Although the smiles are not very pronounced they appear different than the stares from the rest of the group. Just my 2 cents.
                  Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
                  Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

Confederate trousers often resemble civilian patterns more so than the military pattern of the Federal side. The JT Martin's you referenced are made to the exact pattern of the originals and do fit looser in the seat and legs than a civilian pattern pair of trousers. We have to remember that the Federal Army was more concerned with outfitting an army with the fewest variations in clothing as possible. As to the waist, it may be you puchased a size bigger than necessary, but remember the fit should be at the circumference of your natural waist (at the navel). One mistake I see many reenactors make is wearing their trousers like a modern pair with the waist band just above their hips instead of around their natural waist.
                    Robert Collett
                    8th FL / 13th IN
                    Armory Guards
                    WIG

Comment

Hallo!

"One mistake I see many reenactors make is wearing their trousers like a modern pair with the waist band just above their hips instead of around their natural waist."

Just a-funnin'...

Seriously, IMHO much of that is do to the first "repro" trowsers in the
                      1970's being essentially modern in cut and fit, and generations of Run-of-the-Mill vendors simply copying them (instead of originals) to the point they are entrenched in Reenacting Culture in some segments of the Civil War Community.

Plus, the shorter styles of Confederate jackets worn with "low ride" trowsers leave a "draught." ;) :) :(

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                      X