Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British mess kit

Greeetings folks
    Does anyone have any additional info they can give me on the "D"-shaped mess kit " made in England and sold to the Confederacy"? I also read that they were made here in the states and were used by the NY volunteers( 6th, 7th, and 9th?).
    Also, aside from the Berdan sharpshooters mess kit, were there very many other mess kits put out in larger quantities?
    Any info and pictures are always appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Robert Stone
    Ozark ridge runner

Re: British mess kit

Scroll down to post #175 - #201.

Patrick Cunningham

Comment

I may have an image of one of these at home.....I will post it this afternoon if I don't forget.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I have an original I've rigged w/ leather strapping to fit on the front of my wood-framed knapsack. Believe the Limeys used these half-round mess kits from circa 1850s into WW I, but I could stand corrected. As of early this month Regimental Quartermaster Sutlers in Gettysburg had a good-looking replica displayed in their shop for sale.
        David Fox

Comment

Hi,

Here is a thread on the subject http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...028#post117028 .
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Here's the image I promised. Not as detailed as I remembered but the image just the same. This kit is on display at the Civil War Library and Museum in Philadelphia, PA. Some of the gear is loaned from the J. Craig Nannos Collection.
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
            X