Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untrimmed Federal Enlisted Frocks

Pards.

I've seen a few sutler listings and a few period photos of Federal enlisted frock coats without collar or cuff arm of service piping and was pondering the prevalence of this practice. Was it common (e.g., in Infantry regimets)? And what was the story behind these items? Private purchase, off-the-rack from sutlers/tailors? Later war, early war? State issue (and if so, which states were commonly issuing untrimmed frocks?)

Thanks for whatver isnight you can provide.
    Ian Macoy
    Blue Ridge, VA

Re: Untrimmed Federal Enlisted Frocks

Have a look at the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Civil War Historian, pages 52 and 53. It shows the frock of Sgt. Francis M. Kingman, 29th Mass. It describes the coat as having features similar to an officer's frock (which means no piping, eagle/"I" buttons, etc.), but made of a heavier wool than is seen on officers' coats.

I have no bloody clue how common these coats may have been, but they did exist and were used.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I don’t know how common they where but you do see them in period photos from time to time if you look closely. There is a really nice untrimmed, private purchase frock coat on display at Pamplin park.
      -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
      93rd New York Coffee Cooler
      [I]
      "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
      [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Thanks. John, I just checked and did have the edition of Civil War Historian and it is a very useful explanation.
        Ian Macoy
        Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Ian,

Aside from private purchase frocks possibly made sans collar/cuff trim, I've run across one government-issued example that had the trim deliberately removed by the soldier. Judging from how the collar and cuff scallops were carefully re-sewn into place, I believe that the trim was either a folded cloth welt or a filled cloth piping rather than a hand-applied worsted wool cord.

There are also some first-hand accounts from soldiers who noted that they removed the trim on their own coats.

I cannot recall seeing many early-war frock coats that were untrimmed except for a few examples of gray satinet frocks from Wisconsin, and a black broadcloth copy of a U.S. dress coat that popped up on eBay several years ago.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

The wearing of an officer's-style frock with chevrons seems to be a somewhat common affectation by some Sergeant Majors of infantry regiments later in the war. They were after all the most senior NCO and just a step away from being commissioned officer.

Paul McKee
            Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJager View Post
              I don’t know how common they where but you do see them in period photos from time to time if you look closely. There is a really nice untrimmed, private purchase frock coat on display at Pamplin park.
              Do you know if the untrimmed frock at Pamplin Park is an NCO's or a private's. I have to get down there sometime but it's unlikely to be soon.
              Ian Macoy
              Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Working...
              X