Keeping Dry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Dry?

High all,I have searched the forums and,to my surprise,found nothing on this topic.I have an event this coming weekend(July 25-26),and they are calling for rain.I was wondering what the best way to keep dry on campaign is without carrying a whole lot of gear with you(such as two groundcloths)?I was just wondering what some of you all do in inclemement weather?Thanks.
    Shawn Sturgill
    Governor Guards
    SCAR

Re: Keeping Dry?

I think these articles are just perfect for you:

Staying Dry in Rainy Weather: By Andrew Jerram
    or
    Tenting Tonight? The Confederate Infantryman in Camp on Campaign by K.C. MacDonald of Lazy Jacks

Or just get wet
    David Naples

"History is the story English majors try to write"- Anonymous Gettysburg College History major

Comment

Pray.Pray hard and hope it clears.

Another way is to find some large trees with low hanging limbs and hunker down under them.If there is a period structure,try getting in that.Remember that they weren't cavemen.They had common sense.Even if it's on the porch,it's better then the rain.
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

If there is a period structure,try getting in that.
        Two pards and myself slept in the log church at Shiloh last summer after a rainstorm left almost a foot of water standing in our tents. When you get rained on and realize that you have to fend for yourself, it's amazing the solutions you can come up with.

We as modern folks are not used to having to be creative, because we have a dry roof and warm bed at our fingertips.
        John Spain
        4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
        "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

You will get wet. Everything you carry will get wet. Plan on it. Make preparations to have a place to dry out everything properly when you get home. Everything you have will dry and will be just fine. And, you'll dry too. I do every day after a shower. Remember, wool retains heat, even when it's wet. Plan on getting wet and go with the mindset you'll be alright and make it your mission to keep a good attitude no matter what the weather. The boys of 186x got wet on a regular basis. You can make it for 36 hours in the rain. I've done it on a really regular basis.

Trust me.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
            Stay Home And Eat Pizza And Drink Beer
            How true!

One of the things my friends just don't understand is why I choose to participate in a hobby that makes me so uncomfortable. :wink_smil

When it comes to staying dry, as has been said already, you have to accept certain realities if you cannot find a building for shelter. In a light rain, you can probably put you gear on, get under a gum, and stay pretty dry.

However, in a downpour, or a prolonged rain, it is probably more about keeping your food and powder dry, and minimizing the effects of the rain on your musket. Again, I think the easiest way to keep your gear dry is to wear it, then throw a gum blanket over your shoulders. Keep the breach/lock area under the gum and keep the muzzle pointed down at an angle so water doesn't collect inside.

No, you probably won't get much sleep like this, but you're not going to sleep much in a rainstorm anyway, unless you have a building or a good tent.

Any other vets of the Rowdy Pards' 2002 Gettysburg LH out there?
            ...The rain on Friday night at that event was BIBLICAL! I had the "bright idea" that I would catch some sleep. Meanwhile... My Enfield was in a stack and collected about a pint of water. The stock was so swollen that I couldn't draw the rammer! My cartridge box literally floated away! Blanket, clothing, and gear were all soaked. Had I simply given up on the notion of "a good night's sleep" and put on my gear, I would have been a lot more comfortable once the rain stopped.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

While on the march, keep all of your gear on with your groundcloth draped over you. You can use an extra knapsack "J" hook to secure your groundcloth around you. These can be purchased from any mainstream sutler. Try to keep your rifle in tight, or you'll be fighting rust for a week. A nice trick is to take a slab of your bacon/salt pork, and rub the fatty part along the rifle barrel as sort of a 'rust inhibitor.' Trust me, it works.

If you're trying to sleep in a storm, just ball up under your groundcloth on top of your blanket, with as much of your gear as possible. Pecking order there should be 1) rifle 2) haversack 3) whatever else fits under the groundcloth with you. If there's a tree, get under it and curl up against the trunk. Unless you've got a solid A-frame, you're probably going to get wet anyhow.

Bring along a small tin of powder, to help alleviate the inevitable chafing that will come with wet wool trousers (that's a big one.) A spare set of DRY socks is also critical. Remember, keep them dry at all costs.

If all else fails, just roll with it. Sometimes no matter what, you're just going to be cold, wet, and miserable. Being wet is not so bad, as long as you're not cold at the same time. The suffering level at Perryville during the 2001 monsoon was pretty high. Some of us ended up punting, though a few hardcores toughed it out on that Friday night.

There you have it.

Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              24th Missouri Infantry
              Independent Volunteer Battalion
              www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Rain like the cold, heat, and every other climate condition you can think of is just another part of the experience. I always try to catch the weather forecast related to the area where the event will be. Even if it’s calling for 30% chance of rain I'll begin to prepare myself (mentally) for the simple fact that I could possibly get wet.

But getting wet and learning how to stay somewhat dry or like Mr. Wicket mention just drying to keeping your food and powder dry is in itself an authentic experience. If this is an event where you will be stationary...take some time when you arrive to make a shelter with your pards. Honestly it’s amazing some of the shelters I've seen thrown up in just a few minutes to shelter folk from the rain. If you’re going to be on the move just except the fact that you will get wet!

Things to except:
                1. Your ground cloth is about to be your best friend.
                2. You will get wet!
                3. You will be uncomfortable!!!

But remember the same thing happened to them...don't think for one minute that they weren't uncomfortable. You just remember when you’re silently cussing yourself while drifting in and out of sleep cause you've been standing up for six hours...that more than likely those boys were thinking the same darn thing...why in the heck am I here? Remember misery loves company…some of the best times I’ve had has been when I and a few pards have been huddled beneath a fly, or a porch…of heck just standing underneath a tree. It wasn’t so much fun then, but it’s always a good place for some great first person. Just think two of three years from now you’ll be sitting around a fire at an event and say, “Remember the flood of 08…my hat nearly floated down the creek!” Or something to that effect.:D

Regards,
                [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Cody G. Farrell[/SIZE][/FONT]
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]UpStart Mess[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1"]http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1[/URL]
                ETHC
                [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"]Texas Ground Hornets[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/"]http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/[/URL]
                [I][SIZE="3"][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]Texas State Troops[/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE][/I] - [URL="http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home"]http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home[/URL]

Comment

Hallo!

"I was just wondering what some of you all do in inclemement weather?"

1. Leave the expectation or demand of always being dry and comfortable at home.

2. Get wet.

3. Dry out.

4. Repeat.

Inclement weather (wet, heat, cold, etc.) is one of those things that goes hand-in-hand with the "soldierly experience." Yes, there are some Period "tricks" to help with it, but more times than not it can come down to two things- one, learning and using some of the tips and tricks, and two, appreciating that when the expectation of comfort is left at home, whatever happens seems to have a way of growing in legend and bragging-rights with the passage of time and the retelling of the Stories. ;) :)

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The only good advice I can offer is, if it does not kill you, it makes you stronger. Roll with the punches, and tough it out. I always call the rough moments in an outing "the making of a good story."

If the weather is bad, just remind yourself, you are in the making of a good story to tell later. Like Cody said, in future years you will talk and joke about the "flood of '08 when your hat tried to float away." Or remember that hailstorm and tornado at Shiloh? No one really wants to hear the story about the trip when the weather was nice, the nights cool, and no bugs.

The best stories, the ones that get told over and over in later years, are the ones that sucked while in the making.

So I hope you get good weather. I hope there are no ticks or excessive heat or cold for your outing. But if there is, I hope it makes a good story for you. :)

Thats my .02
                    Ron Mueller
                    Illinois
                    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I find I get the most authentic experiences when I face the circumstances they faced with the resources and options they had available .

Bottom line, see what resources you and your comrades have available and what you can do in the situation you find yourself then tough it out and smile inwardly with the knowledge that you are only called on to do so for a couple of days and not three years or the war as they were but still have the opportunity to gain insight into that particular historic experience. ;-)
                      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

More than keeping myself dry,I'd like to keep my gear as dry as possible.I'll probibly take two groundcloths,and two groundcloths only.One to wrap my gear in and one to wrap myself in.Thanks you all for your help.
                        Shawn Sturgill
                        Governor Guards
                        SCAR

Comment

Getting wet is just part of soldiering. Even if you have a nice dry hut, outbuilding or tent, at somepoint you'll draw guard or picket, and that negates the former. Suck it up, get wet, dry out, drive on. I would agree about extra socks. I would recommend more than one pair however. At Gettysburg, I went through both, and neither really dried out enough. Needless to say, my feet are still a bit messed up. take two or three extra pairs, change often, and take a tin of foot powder. As for your gear, what has been said before I would recommend. You might also try a trick we used when I did Historical Trekking, and that is keep well oil rag handy, and tie it around your lock. A tompion might also come in handy.
                          Robert W. Hughes
                          Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                          Thrasher Mess
                          Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                          ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                          Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                          And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Certainly an age old problem for the soldier.. To quote an old Willie and Joe cartoon: "The experienced sojer will always know how to keep warm and dry......so when ya figger it out tell me":D
                            Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                            Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                            Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                            Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                            Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Getting wet sucks but getting your blanket, food and gun and ammo wet sucks more. I got drenched this last weekend at Charlton Park, MI, some may know it, and we fought in the rain, which is not fun when your hat dumps water down the barrel and you cannot ram rounds. So just remember keep the gear dry and build fires but then again you read of many accounts of being wet and having no fires, which do tend to draw artillery fire. So make remember white man make big fire sit very far, indian make small fire sit very close. A little woods knowledge.
                              Thomas J. Alleman
                              "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Working...
                              X