campaigners in East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• campaigners in East Texas

Ive just moved to livingston texas (from VA) and an wondering if there are any progressive units in or near this area. thanks Ross Dilts rddilts@hotmail.com

Re: campaigners in East Texas

There are about three groups that come to mind, including the 1st Texas Inf. in the Houston area and the Texas Rifles. I could not find a website for either one. The Texas Ground Hornets are mostly Trans-MS, mostly Texas.

If you would like, I can forward your e-mail address to one of the seargents in the 1st TX.

You are living in some thickly wooded mainstream country.

Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
    Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
    Shoemaker

Comment

Texas Rifles: www.texasrifles.org.
      Annette Bethke
      Austin TX
      Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
      [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Hi Ross,

I'm a transplanted tarheel out here in Texas. The Texas Ground Hornets are the best around. www.texasgroundhornets.com Check us out.

Cordially,

Timothy Martin

Comment

Ross,

Let me begin with welcoming you to Texas. The Livingston area is really a nice place with plenty to do. I can only rehash what others have already said, but I'll try to go into greater detail. First, depending on what type of unit you are looking for there'll be plenty to pick from.

1st Texas Vol. Infantry
          Unit Location: HQ - Galveston (Majority of members located in East Texas)
          Impression Style: Mainstream/progressive
          Main Impression: Army of Northern Virginia - Richmond Depot style clothing
          Federal Impression: Western Federal
          Event Focus: Local events with 1 max effort national event a year

Unit History: The 1st Texas has a long and rich history in Texas dating back for many years. Headquartered out of Galveston, Texas a majority of its men are in and around the Houston area, but has members throughout Texas (East Texas) and as far away as Colorado. Its founding member, Gen. Jack Kings as he is known to many was the mastermind behind the Red River Campaigns I and II. About fifteen years ago King hatched an idea to form the Texas Brigade and for a time the 1st Texas grew in size. Several years back it was able to field six companies (A, B, C, D, F, L) averaging 20-30 men with two pieces of horse drawn artillery, two wagons, as well as two companies from the 4th and 5th Texas. Unfortunately it sacrificed its progressive attitude for numbers and began to recruit more mainstream minded individuals. This move broke the units back and lead to one of the more progressive minded companies (A, Texas Rifles) pulling out. In recent years they were able to purge the more mainstream heavy companies (D & F). Now they are in a rebuilding mode and made up of stout men who are working hard in regaining their progressive look. The unit has a lot of mover and shakers in it that has begun to broaden the unit's impressions and is slowly but surely shaping up quite nicely.

Red River Battalion (9th Texas Vol. Infantry)
          Unit Location: HQ – Dallas/Fort Worth area (central Texas)
          Impression Style: Mainstream/Progressive
          Main Impression: Army of Tennessee
          Federal Impression: New York Zouave Impression
          Event Focus: Local events as well as 1 max effort national event

Unit History: I'm not familiar with the Red River Battalion (aka: RRB) formal history, but in most recent years they have become the more dominating unit in Texas (numbers wise) since the fall of the Texas Brigade. Generally they are about the same mixed mainstream/progressive minded as the 1st Texas. The RRB was the first unit to revise its general guidelines and impression and gear it more towards a progressive style unit.

The Texas Rifles
          Unit Location: Houston Area
          Impression Style: Progressive/Campaigner
          Main Impression: Varied (AoNV, AOT, Trans Miss)
          Federal Impression: Western Federal
          Event Focus: Local events but do attend national and campaigner style events

Unit History: The Texas Rifles were formerly Co. A, of the 1st Texas, but pulled out several years back. They are a company sized unit that normally fields 20-30 or more men. Since their withdrawal from the 1st, they have taken leaps and bounds regarding authenticity and of late a Civilian contingent. They are now closely associated with the RRB and typically attend events with them, but they do host a number of smaller events of their own. Generally a unique unit that is well rounded with quality individuals who are also talented...the Rifles typically outfit themselves through varies individuals who have a talent in sewing a wide variety of items.

Texas Ground Hornets (15th Texas Infantry)
          Unit Location: Trans Mississippi Region (Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas)
          Impression Style: Authentic Campaigner
          Main Impression: Trans Miss specific (but on occasions do field other impressions)
          Federal Impression: Varied (Typically, No...but several individuals do have federal kits
          Event Focus: Living History, Authentic specific events, generally Trans Miss focused events

Unit History: Last but not least is the youngest of the four units, The Texas Ground Hornets. Originally formed in 2000, the Hornets were the first (and still are) unit to developed an authentic Trans Miss impression. In its younger days it was a mess size unit typically hosting small size LH's at Mansfield battlefield state park. In more recent years the Hornets have grown into a small company sized unit spread across the Trans Mississippi region. In 2004, the Hornets hosted the Mansfield/Pleasant Hill Preservation march which trekked the 20+ miles overnight between the two battlefields, raising a significant amount of money for battlefield preservation. In 2007, the unit hosted Bank's Grand Retreat which was modeled upon the concept of the Red River Campaign I and II and will host a similar event in 2009. The Texas Ground Hornets have been instrumental in reviving interest in the long lost theater of the war known as the Trans Mississippi and have done ground breaking research regarding specific units, uniforms, gear, and much more related to the Trans Miss.

There a lot of mainstream units out there, but these are the cream of the crop and have been for several years. Take a look around the see what you like...the Hornets generally have a quarterly living history at Mansfield, Louisiana which is about 3 hours from you.

Best Regards,
          [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Cody G. Farrell[/SIZE][/FONT]
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]UpStart Mess[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1"]http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1[/URL]
          ETHC
          [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"]Texas Ground Hornets[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/"]http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/[/URL]
          [I][SIZE="3"][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]Texas State Troops[/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE][/I] - [URL="http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home"]http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home[/URL]

Comment

For what its worth, I grew up in the Dallas area and my first experience with reenacting was with the 9th TX. I really enjoyed my time with them and was there when they switched their union infantry impression to the 165th NY zouave. Brad Quinne, who was my company CO at the time, really helped me get started, and so did a lot of other guys in Co. I. It's been 5 years almost since I moved aways, but I'd still highly recommend them to you. Here's their website-
            http://www.9thtexas.org/

I know they would not mind some new, experienced, active blood. They participate in the annual reenactment for Port Hudson, LA which they portray themselves as the 165th NY. I had a good time in 2003 when I went.

Besides, the red zouave pants are way cool and roomy.:D
            Kenny Pavia
            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Ross,

Welcome to Texas!

Cast an eye on The Frontier Brigade, Texas State Troops site: http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home .

Regards,
              [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
              [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
              16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
              22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
              &
              [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
              4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Welcome to Texas!
                My most humble advise would be to check out all the groups the Cody listedand see which one suits your style. Like the post above says, you're deep in mainstream country, but all these groups have a lot to offer. And, considering the numbers of progressive or campaign style units, it's really no surprise that we all end up serving with each other in one way or another throughout the year anyway. You'll see a lot of us together at the Piney Woods event which the Groundhornets are putting together, and also at Crockett TX where we will be hosting an immersion event that has in the past seen members from all four of the units that Cody listed. I'd love to have you join us in the Texas Rifles. (Contrary to Mrs. Bethke's post, our website IS updated to suit our needs and our civilians ARE active.) But like I said, you'll be in good company in either group.
                Hope to see you soon!

Frank J Marek
                Capt. of Texas Rifles

Comment

So many of us from the various above units seem to pick and choose the best events and fall in together.
                  Many of us do not attend the main stream events but will form at other various other events as a band of brothers.
                  Regardless of what unit you form with, If you attend any of the quality events you are bound to run into some of us sooner or later (and don't tell you we didnt warn ya either).
                  Welcome to Texas, good luck in your search, and hope to see you in the field.
                  Dusty Lind
                  Running Discharge Mess
                  Texas Rifles
                  BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Working...
                  X