Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 Caliber Round Ball Cartridges

Hi,

I have been working on making reproducrion 69 caliber round ball cartridges, but I have been having some problems getting them to look right.:cry_smile I have used the articles on here to make them, but if someone could post some pictures of the finished product, it would be really helpful. Also, if someone could post pictures of reproduction buck and ball and buck shot 69 caliber cartridges that would be helpful also. Any help would be great. Thanks.

If you need to send the pictures by e-mail, my address is akinfantry@yahoo.com
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: 69 Caliber Round Ball Cartridges

Hallo!

IMHO the standard would be better to compare reproductions against the originals, rather than the reproductions against other reproductions... ;)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures, and you do make a good point about comparing originals.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The picture I posted is a reproduction .69 round I make to fill my .69 RB box when I take my 1842 Musket to events. I use a round former of .650" diameter, using a trapezoid pattern for standard .69 rounds.

I fill the top portion with enough tissue (thickness varies with brand!) to be able to simulate the round ball. I then tie off as per originals with string, fill the bottom with 110gr of powder.

Now, if it is specified by the event rules to use ONLY 80gr of powder, I place tissue under the tied ball to fill up the space not taken up with powder. That way the OAL still stays correct.

Now, I HAVE run into a problem where the .650" size had actually jammed half way down a dirty barrel when ramming paper, so something to think about may be going a bit smaller diameter, so it will ram down OK.

I don't have any B-n-B, or Buck-shot made, but give me a while, I'll see about posting pics of both.
        respectfully:

Kevin Dally
        Attached Files
        Kevin Dally

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I made a repro Buck & Ball cartridge, like the round ball posted earlier. I used enough tissue to fill enough space to tie off. I tied the top section like you would around the 3 buckshot, then tied off lower down where the .65" round ball would normally be.

The Buckshot cartridge is patterned after a Confederate manufactured one. Instead of tying off each level of 3 buckshot balls, you tie off down far enough to cover the whole shot load.

Some confederate Buckshot loads were tied off below the shot load, so that it was completely chocked off from the powder. That way the powder would not trickle up into the shot section of the cartridge.

Now, that brings up an interesting point...how did they keep the powder contained below the standard Buckshot load? Did they use paper wadding placed between the balls and the powder?

Kevin Dally
            Attached Files
            Kevin Dally

Comment

Hallo!

From the instructions in the 1849 U.S. Ordnance Manual, the process was the same no matter whether ball, ball and buckshot, or buckshot cartridges- as far as the powder went.
              Meaning, the powder is contained in its own "cylinder."

Curt
              Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

"...the powder is contained in its own "cylinder."

Curt:

I thought that the powder was placed directly behind the wrapped up/tied off .65" round ball, with no extra "cylinder" placed behind the load?

They used two papers to make these rounds?

Can the 1849 instructions be posted?

Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
                Kevin Dally

Comment

Hallo!

I have snippets from the 1849 Manual, so I would have to hand-type it... maybe someone else has it "on line."

The cartridge specified in the Ordance Manual was previously made with three pieces of paper- a rectangular piece of "rocket paper," a larger trapezoid of cartridge paper. The rocket paper (to help protect the powder as well as keeping the cartridge stiff) and the cartridge paper were wrapped around the former to make the powder cylinder. One end was folded and pasted closed. The ball was then placed on the closed end and rolled in the cartridge paper. The end or nose of the cartridge was chocked closed and tied off. The former was removed, and the powder cylinder filled, and then folded closed.

Depending upon how closely the papers were cut, and how the "roller" formed the cylinders, and made his/her folds, it usual to see the 'tail within a tail' effect of the powder cylinder folded INSIDE of the cartridge cylinder for a "double tailed" look. (unless the powder cylinder is smallish)

This was deemed a bit complicated, and the St. Louis Arsenal started omitting the "rocket paper" and the trapdezoid for the powder cylinder was enlarged slightly. This was followed by Kennebec, and Allegheny arsenals.

The 3rd Edition, or "1861" Ordnance Manual was done in September of
                  1861, but took into i862 to get widely distributed and used to the expansion of arsenal production as well a contract cartridge purchases. The 1861 changed things a bit, calling for two pieces of the same size paper. Basically, the first trapezoid was wrapped around the wooden former, choked off, and tied. The ball was placed on the end or nose of this cylinder, and wrapped with the second paper. The former was removed the cylinder filled with the powder charge, and the end folded and folded down.
                  This was thought to rememdy the problem that the stiff rocket paper was trying to solve of initially preventing the paste used to form the powder cylinder from contaminating the powder charge, amplified after the 1855ish introduction of tallow/waxed lubed "Minie" ball.

Curt
                  Who once dissected an original cartridge before restoring it Mess
                  Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

A few years ago I wrote a modest booklet for the then "Watchdog" entitled "Making Cartridges" and it seemed to be well received although I don't know if it is still available. In it I covered all commonly used cartridges, .58, .69 (round ball and buck and ball and buckshot). I have found a source here in the UK for pre-moulded compressed paper balls of the appropriate diameters for both .69 cal ball and buckshot which makes manufacture very straightforward. I would be very pleased to send photocopies of the booklet to those who might be interested if the original booklet cannot be located. Also I'd be happy to send a supply of the paper balls to those who might wish to try the methods I describe.

Patrick Reardon,
                    Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Working...
                    X