Oil for Canteen Stove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil for Canteen Stove?

I recently purchased a canteen stove from Trans-Mississippi Depot. This is a wonderful recreation of the original found in the Federal camps near Fredericksburg. I am looking for recommendations on the best oil to use in it. The instructions recommended sweet (olive) oil or lamp oil only, nothing else. I have no experience with sweet oil except for cooking. There are many types of lamp oil on the market. I'd like to use something that burns clean and is hot enough to heat up a cup of coffee.

Has anyone used sweet oil? Recommendations?

Thanks,
    Steve Blancard
    Co. A, 13th Va Inf.
    Steve Blancard
    Corporal
    13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Re: Oil for Canteen Stove?

If using lamp oil be carefull not to buy citronella lamp oil.
    Russell L. Stanley
    Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
    Co.A 45th Mississippi
    Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
    Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Steve,

Use the olive oil. It burns hot enough to split marble, and Don wouldn't send you any BS instructions about one of his products. If you are a little concerned, then take a sample of oil, and burn a bundle of twigs in the back yard. An added benefit, is if someone grabs the olive oil and consumes it, then they aren't drinking liquid paraffin. You may or may not recall the sugar and blackpowder confusion thread a while back, but these things happen...and people talk about MY coffee. Hmpf!

As an aside, it will be nice to represent the 13th Virginia at Crittenden's Farm in a couple of weeks.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Let me know how that camp stove works out for ya. I've been debating buying one.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I did not mean it to sound like I was casting disparaging comments about the instructions, they were fine. I'm just looking for recommendations on types of oils.

I will say that it is beautifully made. I took it last weekend to a living history at Montpelier, VA and used it two nights. All I had was that nasty citronella oil and it smoked bad. However, the stove worked great and got a lot of attention. I have drained the nasty oil and want to replace it with something better. The sweet oil sounds like a good alternative.

Thanks,
          Steve Blancard

Co. A, 13th Va. Inf.
          Steve Blancard
          Corporal
          13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Stick with the olive oil--and for this purpose, any inexpensive olive oil will do.

For one of our other time periods, the early 18th century French settlement of Alabama, olive oil is the primary light source--burns reasonably clean, and gives off as much light as one needs to be a hardworking settler whose schedule pretty well matches that of the chickens. It is suitable for both these sorts of lamps, as well as for burning in an open plate with a rag wick.

What's more, if one spills olive oil, its not as noxious or prone to flame up as modern lamp oil. Eventually, the dog will come along and clean it up to no further harm.

For a good long while, Sister and I sought to come up with a 'One Oil'---a grease that served all purposes: cooking, lighting, preserving sheet iron, oiling the spinning wheel and greasing our faces against the river wind. Olive oil was as close as we ever got to that quest. Its just not much good for wagon wheels
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Bought it and love the way it burns. Olive oil works just dandy and the heat, as well as the light is plenty. Sure wish it had been on hand in Newfane!

While Don did not make this little contraption, he brought it to market. Some, I am sure, have purchased this as a "reenactor collectible". In other words a kewl item to show your pards and say you have one. Congratulations on the willingness to take the little guy out of the box.

Hmm, 1858 canteen. Isn't there a static event down south in December this could come in handy for?
              Ley Watson
              POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
                Isn't there a static event down south in December this could come in handy for?
                Bull,

Keep twisting. Twist a little harder....
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Ley,

You just don't know how close we did come to having one of those in Newfane. Had the shipment gotten to Don just a day or so earlier, I was ready to spring for super overnight gotta have it by 10:00 am to be delivered directly to Newfane. Alas, they just were not due into Don until that Thursday or Friday.

Had it been present, I would not have to have chosen between heat (stove over there) and light (window over here) and would have gotten a lot more mending done on site.

There's still this pair of drawers with no seat and no acknowledged owner
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                    There's still this pair of drawers with no seat and no acknowledged owner
                    Another mystery solved! I'd wondered where they went, that is if they are canton flannel, have black knees from soot and charcoal, an extra button, and one black tie and one white tie on the cuffs. Otherwise, they ain't mine at all....
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
                      Hmm, 1858 canteen. Isn't there a static event down south in December this could come in handy for?
                      No, but there is one in Mississippi in January. Winter Garrison 1862.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
                      John Spain
                      4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                      "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                        Another mystery solved! I'd wondered where they went, that is if they are canton flannel, have black knees from soot and charcoal, an extra button, and one black tie and one white tie on the cuffs. Otherwise, they ain't mine at all....
                        Nope.
                        And just to twist the knife, these are so small in the waist you'd likely be unable to get them up much past your knees.

They'd make a good horse hobble though.
                        Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                          And just to twist the knife, these are so small in the waist you'd likely be unable to get them up much past your knees.
                          That narrows it down (pun intended) to the younger of the two musicians, or at least someone of that size. Bill "Sticky" O'Dea may be able to help with this, too. If you can't find the owner, they'll make several pair of dandy sleeping caps!

Speaking of lighting, I notice Stearite candles are back in stock. I wonder if Ley could slip by that nice little place at Potomac Mills on his way up and bring moi a box.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by ndnchf View Post
                            I recently purchased a canteen stove from Trans-Mississippi Depot. This is a wonderful recreation of the original found in the Federal camps near Fredericksburg. .
                            I just checked with the Trans-Mississippi website (because I wanted to see the canteen stove), and can't find it. Does anyone know if they still sell it, or who might?
                            Bill Kane
                            Tar Heel Mess
                            [url]http://www.tarheelmess.org[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                              Speaking of lighting, I notice Stearite candles are back in stock. I wonder if Ley could slip by that nice little place at Potomac Mills on his way up and bring moi a box.
                              Ask real nice and I might be willing to bring ten or so up to DMX. I have about thirty of them left over from W'64.

Reenacting is a great way to prepare for the collapse of civilization.
                              Robert Carter
                              69th NYSV, Co. A
                              justrobnj@gmail.com
                              www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Working...
                              X