Corn Husk Cooking Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn Husk Cooking Experiment

I’d like to share a cooking experiment I tried during a camping trip to Acadia NP my wife and I took this week. I was inspired by the link Charles Heath provided in the DM-X thread and wanted to try it in “controlled” circumstances before doing so next week at DM.

Prior to us leaving this past Tuesday, I prepared two baggies of dry ingredients. One of flour, salt and sugar; the other of corn meal, flour, salt and sugar; corn was picked up on the way. It would be enough for just one shot of each.

Once I had a fire going Wed evening, I commenced to extract the corn from the shuck based on the first excerpt in the article. I was not successful at all, breaking the corn cobs, ( had tried it at home last week with the same results) so by default, I went with the second excerpt with the pealed husks.

I added water to each baggie and mixed, removing the dough/corn meal balls and placing them in their own husk. I tied the husks with some jute cord and buried them in the coals and commenced cooking our “regular” meal as my In-Laws were coming to our site for dinner.

30 minutes later, I pulled the husks from the coals, and extracted the anticipated morsels. What I found was that the flour only mixture had not fully cooked after 30 minutes and I hadn’t saved a husk for this situation. (In the field, I’d put it in the canteen half at that point) The corn meal recipe came out fully cooked, but I think I would give it another 5 minutes. That one got sliced up and shared around – rather bland (some molasses or sorghum in the mix would be good…), but as my Father-In-Law said “That’ll stick to your ribs…”

All in all, it was a worthwhile experiment to have a starting point in the corn-infested environment Charles is promising. I documented the experiment with a few photos which are attached below.

Y.O.S.,
    Attached Files
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
    Dirigo Grays
    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
    Lt. General James Longstreet

Re: Corn Husk Cooking Experiment

Very Cool!

I had roasted ears in their husks, but never thought about baking "bread" in one.
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Marc,

I'm glad to see somebody is taking the pre-event information to heart. The real fun may begin with making and using the corn graters. Yes, corn graters and not cornmeal sifters. An image of the latter is in EOG-CS. When speaking of corn and corn byproducts, Spencer Welch's description of Orange County, Virginia, comes to mind:

"The crops of corn are magnificent and are almost matured, but wherever our army goes, roasting ears and green apples suffer. I have often read of how armies are disposed to pillage and plunder, but could never conceive of it before. Whenever we stop for 24 hours every cornfield and orchard within two or three miles is completely stripped. The troops not only rob the fields but they go to houses and insist on being fed, until they eat up everything about a man's premises which can be eaten" - Primary Source: Letters from a Soldier From the Civil War, p. 20, and it may also be in A Confederate Surgeon's Letters to His Wife. Secondary Source is Beyond the Battlefield
      I hope Mrs. Crittenden's lard isn't too awful rancid to use. That is if she has any.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I picked up some Jersey corn this weekend. Purchased it right from the farmer's field.

Darn good stuff. Only needed two minutes to boil, too.

I'll be making up the peaches into a Peach Puzzle Pie next week.
        Robert Carter
        69th NYSV, Co. A
        justrobnj@gmail.com
        www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Rob,

You may well discover a slightly different manner by which one may acquire ears of corn, and in the not too distant future. Seems you were gathered into the lard & fish and lard & peach pies experiment a little earlier this year, and in only slightly colder weather. That dried cod reconstituted itself well, and I hope you remembered that fish when you saw the cod drying near the docks in the HBO miniseries "John Adams."

I can attest the corn grater is indeed sharp, and we may ask the volunteer operating this deadly piece of equipment (not entirely unlike a fleam in terms of volume of liquid extracted) if he ever used his mother's krout cutter without the box. He'll understand instantly what we mean by that question.

See if a smart feller such as yourself can figure out the William Randolph Hearst/VMI connection with the 13th Virginia, as a point of trivia. Our trusty fugelman probably already knows....
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Not to forget J.B. Cannon's descriptions from the 27th Alabama in Bloody Banners and Barefoot Boys... which at one time was posted on the old 10th Texas web site. A pretty good recipe, if you like corn pone...

tom
            Tom Ezell

Comment

Tom,

Yep. That was in post #25 in the Crittenden's Farm thread, and I'll repeat it here:

Pone in a husk

Speaking of McKay, Scott has been enjoying the fruits of his labor in Roswell, and has become a real horse shoe pitching enthusiast these days.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
              X