1816 conversion help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1816 conversion help

I've been wanting to represent the use of the modified smooth bore for all the early war western federal units I end up portraying. Of course there are not alot of options if you don't plan on hunting down an original and using that in the field. Of course there is the infamous 1840 conversion from Loyalist Arms and i'm aware of all its shortcomings, I don't even know of that repro can be salvaged.

Ultimately, however, I would like to purchase the Pendersoli 1816 flintlock musket, http://www.cherrys.com/pedpics/s274b.jpg and have it converted to the "belgian" cone style as seen here:http://www.gundersonmilitaria.com/mu...3dated1839.jpg .

Does anybody know of any gunsmith that would do this and is this an expensive practice? I suppose an extended hammer would have to be sought out. Thanks for your time and I look forward to any responses.
    Preston Todd
    Hard Case Boys
    Top Rail Mess

Re: 1816 conversion help

Preston,

Good luck finding a gunsmith! That seems to be the "Holy Grail" of defarb work.

On the hammer: An original hammer will work just fine and can be had for a reasonable price from a number of places, including Ebay, S&S Firearms, Lodgewood, and Dixie Gun Works.

Before going the Pedersoli route, I would recommend hooking up with some N-SSA folks. I have seen some very nice custom "reproriginal" parts guns (new barrel or stretched barrel, Dunlap stock, and a mixture of repro and original parts). I speak from experience on this one!

Best of Luck!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I did a series of articles on "pumpkin slingers" on CCG several years ago. As part of the series, I had a gunsmith do a cone-in-barrel conversion of a replica Charlesville left over from the movie "Last of the Mohicans". Required an original hammer (which was easy to find). The smith had an original brass blank to fit to the lockplate where the flint pan had been. Don't know if he'd do another, but contact Ledford's Trading Post in Hickory, N.C.

David Fox
      David Fox

Comment

Several years ago I cobbled-together a series of articles in the CCG on the then underuse of .69 calibre muzzleloaders in the hobby. As part of the effort I had a gunsmith convert a Charlesville flint replica left over from the local filming of "Last of the Mohicans" by the cone-in-barrel method. Only required an original conversion hammer (still readily available) and the smith provided an original brass blank to fill the lockplate cut for the flint pan. Looks and functions great; has often passed as original. Be advised both sides withdrew these Belgium conversions as quickly as ever they could during the war: the weapons were nortorious fror blowing out the cone seat. Try: Ledford's Trading Post in Hickory, N.C. Don't know if he'd be interested in replicating his work.

Judge David Fox
        David Fox

Comment

Working...
        X