'42 Springfield Rifled Musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '42 Springfield Rifled Musket

I am considering getting a '42 Springfield musket, because I like the look of the musket, and I currently already own another musket in .69 caliber. Would this be a good selection for a Western Virginia Confederate and Federal impressions?

Also, I want to add that I would prefer a rifled version, because I plan on target shooting with it.

P. Mullins
    Last edited by Grabenkater; 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM.
    Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Re: '42 Springfield Rifled Musket

Hallo!

"I am considering getting a '42 Springfield musket, because I like the look of the musket, and I currently already own another musket in .69 caliber. Would this be a good selection for a Western Virginia Confederate and Federal impressions?"

Short answer: yes, when researched and documented to the unit, time, and place of the impression.

"Also, I want to add that I would prefer a rifled version, because I plan on target shooting with it."

Short answer: yes, when researched and documented to the unit, time, and place of the impression.
    (However, the rifled, or the rifled and sighted alterations of the smoothbore M1842 existed in much smaller numbers.)

IMHO, you may want to use the SEARCH function for previous discussions of the "ubequitousness" of the Federal and Confederate used M1842 as well as discussions on quality and so-called "de-farbed" wants or needs, and sources, etc., etc.,

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: '42 Springfield Rifled Musket

Thanks Curt,

I should have added that I am not planning on portraying any certain unit at this time, so that would not apply to my needs at this time. I typically shoot 18th century weapons, and I would like to have a Civil War rifle to add to my collection. I am sorry that I did not clarify that in my previous post.

Later I may consider acquiring the appropriate kit for Civil War Living History. At this time I have too many irons in the fire with other time periods.

P. Mullins

Solang das volk so übermässig dumm ist, Der Teufel braucht nicht klug zu sein!
      Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Working...
      X