Popping Corn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping Corn?

I am currently reading The Soldier's Pen, By Robert E. Bonner.In the one letter a soldier states that he ate popping corn. Is it popcorn like we think of today or is it something else. If so how would i be able to acquire this popping corn and how do i make it?

"I can tell you it has been rather tough for the last few days. I lived mostly on sweet corn popped... I dont think any one has Suffered by hunger yet but when a felow gets up in the morning with noting to eat but popcorn it will make him think of his mothers cubbord"

if anyone can please elaborate on what this soldier is describing it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    8th GA
    Zachary Werner

Re: Popping Corn?

Some of the info here might help: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=19137 This soldier or a friend might have learned this as a civilian, and used that knowledge when the opportunity presented itself.
    Hopefully Helpful-
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

thank you very much that is exactly what i was looking for! only thing what kind of corn do i use?
      8th GA
      Zachary Werner

Comment

It sounds as if by this quote that he is referring more to parched corn than popcorn because of his reference to sweet corn. In which case, the way to fix it is take some ears of sweet corn, pull the husks back, and dry them out by hanging them in some dry room for weeks. Then shell the ears, fry the kernels, which do puff up a bit and turn crispy, and salt them.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

It sounds to me like he is actually referring to pop corn and not parched corn. You actually find quite a few references to parched corn. Pop corn was probably something that he picked up along the way. But, yes pop corn like you are thinking of has been around for quite some time. It didn't gain in being commercially sold until the late nineteenth century. But, nonetheless it was still grown as a garden type crop. In Fearing Burr's, Field and Garden Vegetables of America, he does make reference to pop corn, but also calls it Parching Corn. He describes it as being: "kernel roundish, flattened, glossy, flinty, or rice-like and of a dull, semi transparent, white color." This variety in particular was white, he also lists a similar yellow type.

Most of the heirloom varieties of pop corn that you find today like Tom Thumb or Strawberry have somewhat sketchy documentation for their history. There are alot of different descriptions of God knows how many different types being around prior to Fearing Burrs book in 1863. Around 1900 there are alot more clearer lists of known varieties, probably due to its commercial sales and use.

My recommendation would be to shop around and see if you can find any varieties that are similar in looks to what was listed above. I will say one thing, I have popped Tom Thumb before and it doesn't get as fluffy as Orville Redenbacher's does. There were alot of left over unpopped kernels and due to its size the individual pieces of pop corn were a little smaller. But, that is just one variety. Enjoy.

Rick Musselman
          [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
          Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
          President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
          Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Comment

Originally posted by zeked45 View Post
            "I lived mostly on sweet corn popped... I dont think any one has Suffered by hunger yet but when a felow gets up in the morning with noting to eat but popcorn it will make him think of his mothers cubbord"
            I was making my conclusion from the way he put it. "Sweet corn popped" to me sounds like sweet corn that has been popped.

As an aside, I do know about all sorts of popcorn varieties because my parents sometimes raised some popcorn when I was a kid.

Is there any way to put the original quote in a date? I don't know if it will help at all but it might.
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

thank you very much for all your help! i checked the book and it gives nothing about a year. all i know is that it was a soldier on the campaign writing a letter home to his sister.
              8th GA
              Zachary Werner

Comment

Zach,

Popcorn is fun, but few bother to fool with it. A little grease in the bottom of a small kettle with the medium kettle on top of it works well, as does using a skillet for a kettle lid. Once one person starts popping corn, the others want to pop corn, too. As mentioned earlier, the period (or at least periodish) varieties are not going to pop as well as the modern hybrids, and unlike microwave popping corn, you'll find some burnt, some unpopped, and anything in between. Try it, you'll like it. Even the sutler at Winter 1864 2006 had a popper for rent for the cheap price of just one penny, and most huts had a warm stove had a flat spot suitable for that purpose.

Just for fun, do you happen to have any idea what regiment he was in, and/or what time of year?
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

This is a quote from, “Four Years With the Iron Brigade” The Civil War Journal of William Ray, Co. F, 7th WI. The entry is dated November 29, 1861 and the 7th WI is in winter quarters at Camp Arlington outside Washington, DC.

I guess I will go and buy some popcorn as the peddlers is right here. It is done up in papers like tobacco. Well it is candlelight and I got my corn. It was very good but still very dear eating.”
                  Bill Young
                  WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
                  Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X