Ugly Duck Pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Duck Pistol

Here in Blighty the UK Gov is very strict about the ownership of pistols. Therefore 99% of all reenactor pistols are, by necessity blank firers. Sad and unavoidable. But next year it may be possible for me to obtain the right to have a real BP Revolver. Choices, choices.
    The obvious choice here is the Colt Army or Remington Army, the latter being my preferred choice. But, on looking around it would seem that, with the exception of a single Star, this is all that is available at a sensible price.
    I did, in a certain work of fiction that shall remain nameless lest I embarrass myself, read about a weapon called a savage revolver, 10,000 being used by the Army in 1861. Its full title is the Savage 1861 Navy Model, .36 caliber and wondered if anyone knew of any company doing repros of these or how appropriate or inappropriate they would be as it is gloriously ugly and yet somehow menacingly appealing.
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Re: Ugly Duck Pistol

Hallo!

IMHO, no, and you will not.

The Savage-North mechanism is "complex" and more expensive to reproduce which would produce a reproduction in the higher Euro range that would not be appealing or marketable to the CW Community.
    Plus, the 11,284 Navy's purchased by the Feds in 1861/62 with 10,000 going to the Army makes it a rarer creature in use- of course unless it is researched and documented for the unit, time. and place of one's impression.

So with "all" the more PEC Colt and Remington Army's and Navy's, I don't see a Savage coming very soon.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I've seen one in person in an antique mall in Peoria IL. Two years ago.

I guess that dont help much in the U.K.
      D. M. Meister

Portraying Federal & Confederate medical staff

Comment

Originally posted by Indianabugles View Post
        Here in Blighty the UK Gov is very strict about the ownership of pistols. Therefore 99% of all reenactor pistols are, by necessity blank firers. Sad and unavoidable. But next year it may be possible for me to obtain the right to have a real BP Revolver. Choices, choices.
        The obvious choice here is the Colt Army or Remington Army, the latter being my preferred choice. But, on looking around it would seem that, with the exception of a single Star, this is all that is available at a sensible price.
        I did, in a certain work of fiction that shall remain nameless lest I embarrass myself, read about a weapon called a savage revolver, 10,000 being used by the Army in 1861. Its full title is the Savage 1861 Navy Model, .36 caliber and wondered if anyone knew of any company doing repros of these or how appropriate or inappropriate they would be as it is gloriously ugly and yet somehow menacingly appealing.
        Good Morning Christian,

The Savage is a very interesting pistol, as other have pointed out , there are no comecial repproductions. You may be able to get a custom gunsmith to make one though over here, but the cost would more than likely be simmilar to an original.

As far as appropriateness. My feeling on the matter, is that it is correct and authentic to have a different pistola as an officer, than the average & overly common Colts and Remingtons out there. Officers were responcible for providing their own weapons.

Personally, when I am in an officers impression , I carry an original double action .44 Cal Starr. The current repro of this pistol is nicely done.

There are some nice European and British Pistols that were used that may be more readily avialbe in the UK (depending on the gun laws concernign cap and ball pistols).

The Adams, Beaumont-Adams, and my personal favorite the Webley, all were available here in the US durring the war and were used by officers on both sides. Another option would be the French and Begian Pin Fire pistols.

If you can get a Savage, I say GO For it! It woudl be a nice addition for an impression and a nice item to explaine to the public durring Living History

Hope this helps

Don S
        Don F Smith

Comment

Working...
        X