restoring original bayonets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring original bayonets

I have an original Enfield bayonet, I'd like to use it with my repro, its a bit pitted and tarnished, any recomendations on cleaning it would be appreciated I've searched the files but can't seem to find any info, I've tried steel wool and emory cloth, its better but not great.
    Thanks in advance
    Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Re: restoring original bayonets

Hallo!

"Cleaning" is a relative term.

Sometimes, often times, one can "clean" a rusted and rust pitted iron/steel item but be unable to return it to the condition it was when it was in use during the Civil War.

That leaves a choice, based upon condition, as to how "far" one could or even should go in trying.
    Very minor rust can be removed by poishing on a bufifng wheel with mild abrasive buffing compounds.
    Minor rust can be removed with "Naval Jelly" type acidic products, and repolished from the flat gray the phosphoric acid leaves to bright.
    Major rust is a surface corrosion, and can be removed with more abrasive grits in the form of wet or dry sandpaper, followed by finer grit paper and SCOTS Brite pads, steel oil, or steel wool and oil.

Pitting is a more complex problem as the "orange peel" texture, pits, and even "craters" can run so deep that it is not possible or desireable to remove
    enough of the surrrounding metal to get below them and down to smooth unblemished metal that can be brought back to "new" or even bright.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

What exactly is "Naval Jelly?" Just curious as to this method.
      Ben Fowler

In honor of Capt. William Joshua Neary, Quartermaster, 44th Ga. Inf.; Co. K

Not a member of The Leave Early Rifles

Comment

Hallo!

"Naval Jelly" or "naval jelly" is a brand name (like Kleenix for tissues) for a pink gell-like, acid based product that attacks rust. It is available in hardware stores, hardware departments, and some paint stores.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions, The bayonet is in pretty decent shape some minor pitting I've been slowly working onit and will try your suggestions.
          Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Working...
          X