Defarbed Enfield or Springfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defarbed Enfield or Springfield

My Federal unit prefers a 1861 Springfield, while my Confederate unit prefers a defarbed 1853 Enfield. According to the research I have done about my federal unit, they were issued fisrt .69 caliber 1843 Springfields, and then issued a "breechloading austrian-made gun". Anyone know what this is? Either gun will work, (Springfield or Enfield) and I plan on doing both impressions, so aside from buying 2 guns, in and of themselves is there anything distinct which makes one gun a better choice, such as strength, durability, etc. I have considered a .69, but as I am doing more '63-'65 impressions, I thought that would be a little odd. Thanks in advance.
    David Vander Pluym

Re: Defarbed Enfield or Springfield

Any help please? I am leaning towards an Enfield, and getting it defarbed by Lodgewood. Is the Springfield superior in any way?
    David Vander Pluym

Comment

Hi,

I would recommend you get your Enfield or Springfield de-farbed by Blockade Runner. Although it is a mainstream vendor, they do some great de-farbing work. Here is a link to a thread on the subject http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=17478 . I would go with the Enfield, I own a M1861 Springfield, and am now selling it, and using the money to buy a Enfield. Because the Enfield fits more impressions, both North and South.
      Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

What exactly is done to the springfields to "defarb them" ?
        D. M. Meister

Portraying Federal & Confederate medical staff

Comment

Hallo!

This is a common newcomer question, so I would suggest using the SEARCH feature to pull some of them up.
          Plus such references as the Columbia Rifle's RESEARCH COMPENDIUM VOl. 2 are helpful.
          In brief and to over-generalize...

So-called "de-farb" work "or "de-farbing" is a relative term to describe various processes and work.
          At a mininum, NUG, it refers to removing the modern Italian barrel stampings and stripping and reoiling the stock.

From there, lads may choose to remove excess wood, replace some of the incorrectly shaped parts such as the hammer, add period type barrel stamps or stock inspector cartouches. Some lads also replace the rear sight or the entire lock with ones that more closely copy the originals.
          Some vendors are also supplying complete guns or parts to have other than 1861 or Springfield pieces.
          Etc., etc.,

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

never mind
            Last edited by David Meister; 09-10-2008, 08:05 AM.
            D. M. Meister

Portraying Federal & Confederate medical staff

Comment

Working...
            X