"Detailed Men"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Detailed Men"

In doing some research on my mom's people I''ve come across some things that confuse me. In the genealogical record that a woman in Mom's family had on display at a recent reunion, I discovered that her G-G-Grandfather enlisted in the "2nd NCST" from the Horse Creek region of Ashe County, NC in 1864. However, in digging around online, I can find his name on no roster of the 2nd NC Infantry. I do, however, find reference to a unit called the "2nd North Carolina Regiment of Detailed Men". The month of muster is the same as the month of his enlistment shown in the record I read at the reunion. What exactly were 'detailed men'? What sort of outfit would this have been, as far as its duties, the uses it would have been put to, etc.? All I can find online is the reference to the unit itself, no rosters, no description of duties, nothing but the name of the unit and its date of formation. I've really got Mom's curiosity itching now that I found that reference, but there's nothing I can tell her. I feel bad because I've spent a lot of time researching my Dad's side of the war, so to speak, and now that I'm finally looking into her side, as soon as I bother to open the book I find it written in Greek. :baring_te Any help would certainly be appreciated.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Re: "Detailed Men"

This will be a little help:

http://members.aol.com/jweaver303/nc/nct.htm

The USAMHI site may have bibliographies for both of these units.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Sir, the URL is not sticking but look up (google) "Colonel Thomas Bouchelle", on that page clik "Regiment formation and history". this may be a start and I hope it will help.
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Detailed men could mean being detailed as a teamster, clerk, ambulance, hospital orderly, engineering corps, provost marshal or virtually anything else the Confederacy needed. The book, Reluctant Rebel, is about a soldier who was detailed out for most of his career and he may have only seen the elephant twice. Joseph Glatthaar mentions in General Lee's Army how in late '64 Lee had many detailed men recalled back to their parent units.
        GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
        High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Sir, here is a site with "A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865". If you have it sorry for the repetition, if not, hope it helps. http://www.ncgenweb.us/nccivwar/numdesig.htm
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Only very slightly off the subject but possibly of interest - when I was researching the roster of the 24th Wisconsin several men were "detailed" to an artillery unit for about 14 months.
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG
            "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Micah,

This is simply the name of the regiment, they weren't detailed for any particular duty or assignment. The numbering system for the North Carolina regiments changed about mid-war, which makes it tough when doing research on N.C. units. They may have been one number at the beginning of the war, but another at the end.

This unit was part of Iverson's ill-fated Brigade at Gettysburg. Good luck in your search.

Bruce Blackmon

Comment

Working...
              X