This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galla Rock patterns

Does anybody have any personal experience with Galla Rock patterns? I ran across them while doing a web search. I've never heard of them before. Searching this site has basically told me that some have had problems in the past getting orders from them in a timely manner but that they have apparently improved in that respect.

How does their authenticity compare to, say, Past Patterns, or Period Impressions, or Homespun Patterns? How easy are their instructions to understand, and how well did the pattern pieces go together? They seem to have a pretty good selection of both US and CS patterns, at any rate...

I thought I might start with making a set of drawers, since nobody SHOULD see them anyway, before trying something more complex (and visible!)
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Galla Rock patterns

I can not comment on the authenticity of the patterns because I am nowhere near an expert, but I know that she does lots a research and provides documentation. I have made 2 shirts on the square, and 2 pairs od confederate civilian trousers from her patterns. Neither were diffucult, and I was able to follow the instructions fairly easily. There were a tad on the small side, but not bad. I just used a smaller seam allowace on the second pair, and the first pair encourage me to lose a couple of pounds.
    As far as waiting a long time to get your order from them, yes it can happen. I and most in my unit live in the same county or one over and have waited some time. But, the wait time seems to be improving greatly. I bought the patterns from her at an event, so I had no wait time.
    Marvin Boyce

Comment

Hi,

I would recommend County Cloth patterns http://www.crchilds.com/, over Galla Rock, mainly for the the fact that CC has fast service ( usaully they have your order of fabric or patterns to you in less than 2 weeks) . I have made several items using their patterns,and have been very pleased. As for making a pair of drawers, you may want to get a kit from W,W,and Company. I have found their instructions are better when first learning how to sew. I just got done making my 3rd pair of drawers kits from W,W,and Company.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Galla Rock's patterns are well researched, both in the women's and men's lines. The pattern gradeing for size works well and the measurements and fit are consistent.

I've also worked with one of their patterns that was taken directly from a line drawing in a period fashion magazine. She took that drawing through multiple experiments before getting a full sized pattern that was remarkable in its cut and fit when compared to the original drawing.

Further, the pattern directions are written in a manner that is very user friendly for the beginning seamster.

Yes, there is that delivery problem--and that seems to be improving as she has limited her time on the road and narrowed her product line to those things she does best.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Can someone ensure that this thread is left somewhere visible ;) This must be the 10th Galla Rock thread in the past 8 years. A search also brings up these that survived the crash of death:

Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I would like to add my 2 cents here.....
            As already been stated, Galla Rock has proven that their research is right on and even have images of the articles that some of these patterns are taken from. I have made several shirts from their patterns and have recently made a couple of frock coats from their patterns and feel that both research and pattern were right on! I have been very pleased with service as well, very timely!

As for other companies that were mentioned in this thread, if I am not mistaken I believe they have a charge everytime you use their pattern if you plan on reselling or plan on using the pattern for your own business.

In my opinion, Galla Rock and Past Patterns are well worth your investment and then your own research next or first, depends on how you look at it!!

your servant respectfully
            Kaelin R. Vernon
            SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Their Columbus Depot Pattern is garbage.

Charlie Childs is the way to go for CD jacket patterns.
              [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
              [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksburg Dave View Post
                Their Columbus Depot Pattern is garbage.

Charlie Childs is the way to go for CD jacket patterns.

Out of curiosity, what made that particular pattern "garbage"? Was it the authenticity? The instructions? Or something else altogether?
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I like their patterns but the service is very poor. My pard waited for months for an order once. I had to wait weeks (almost months) for one order. I finally called to inquire on where it was, Sherri then began to yell at me "its on its way" and violently hanged up the phone. I decided to try my luck ordering, but now I am disputing it. I emailed several times and was told it would be sent the next day. Still is not sent and the email replys stopped. Called and got the run around saying she sent them out. Then at the end of the phone call, she said she would send them today. OMHO, fibs dont win customers. I will no longer buy from Galla Rock.

I dont want to bad mouth people, but this is my personal experience with the company. I wanted to post this for others to know the headaches I went through before they jumped in the same boat I'm in.
                  William D. O'Malley IV

Comment

I picked up one of thier Ok. Mystery Jacket patterns from another re-enactor. Jacket went together well and came out great!

Steve Tyler
                    Steve Tyler

Comment

Galla Rock now has an eBay store as well. It isn't nearly as well stocked as the actual site store, pretty much all they carry: civillian/confederate trousers, shirt on the square, work dress and underpinnings pack, federal trousers, and RD II shell. This store ships SUPER fast though. I ordered from there twice and got both packages in from 2 to 3 days of ordering. It's not a huge selection, but if you need a shirt and time is of the essence, its a good thing to know.

Faithfully,
                      -Rachel M Zaborowski

Comment

It took Sheri 8 months to send two patterns that were apparently in stock at least not new patterns. The US inf. frock coat pattern she told me would be finished in march 2011 ( she told me weekly before that it was finished)and which I paid for in July 2010 is still not here and I doubt I will ever get it.
                        This is not customer service this is simply fraud! Unfortunately I was too patiendt and the money for the pattern cannot be drawn back now through paypal but I can only say: Never purchase a pattern from her and send money first!
                        Jan H.Berger
                        Hornist

German Mess
                        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I'm closing this thread since it is over 3 years old to begin with and I don't see the point of debating the merit of this vendor's service etc on such an old thread. Those that wished to make their point have done so.
                          Michael Comer
                          one of the moderator guys

Comment

RE: Galla Rock Pattern

I might catch somethin fierce for this in hell hath no fury proportions but for some strange reason i just now caught this thread. Even though i have been on here since '09 but i would like to kinda come to her defense. She has had alot of knee problems the past few years. Which has affected her work some. It is difficult for her to peddle the machine with an injured knee then a knee that had surgery on it. And alot of the times she is slow is of she is the only one that is doing it and hand sews alot. Now on her patterns i do not know about. I am local and know her pretty well. She is not very young either. She does what she can she really does. Now when you buy clothing it does take her awhile i have been told that left and right. But it is well worth it. Her stuff is incredible. You have to see it up close to truly appreciate it, what she has is not fraud. she is slow it happens to the best of us. You will get your patterns i promise. And yes her customer service is not the greatest. But she could have had a very bad day and it does get annoying to get called constantly. Now that i have that out of the way i will say this is not to be mean in any way or of the such. So i hope i did not ruffle anyone's feathers. I am merely sticking up for an older woman who does incredible work :).

Your most humble and obedient servant,
                            Erik William Creekmore.
                            Your most humble and obedient servant,
                            Erik W Creekmore,
                            2nd Col Vol Inf.

Sgt Major, Territorial Battalion.

Comment

Re: Galla Rock Pattern

From what I gather from reading these posts, the problem is not with the product, it is with the service. Most folks are willing to wait a bit for high quality items, but, they are entitled to a realistic delivery date, up front, so they can decide whether to wait or seek elsewhere. If you order something expecting it within a month or two and are still waiting six months later, that is unacceptable, irrespective of the vendor's personal situation. A business should be run like a business, even if small. It's service that generally brings back customers, IMHO.

Andy Redd
                              Andy Redd

Comment

Working...
                              X