Chaplain attire query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaplain attire query

My ancestor served in the 42nd Indiana Vol.Infantry and is listed as both a Corporal and a Chaplain (not listed as regimental Chaplain). I am trying to find out whether he might likely have worn some Christian adornment, like a necklace, insignia, collar, "tatter", etc to relate this position. I know that he did not wear the block frock/trouser, and his Captain's testimony of his death included "He was a good soldier." Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

-John Easley

Re: Chaplain attire query

It isn't the best link, but it's a start.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

I'll see what else I can find.
    Micah Trent
    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

There was a specific Chaplain Uniform. from what I have read it depends some were essentially Union Officers and were treated as such . Some were descidedly seperate and did not even draw pay. If he was listed as a corporal I would guess that he was a rank and file solider who led prayer meetings and services in lieu of a chaplain and earned the title as such.

RM
      Rod Miller
      [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
      A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
      1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
      1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
      1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
      1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
      Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
      1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
      Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

You might want to read about Chaplain Lorenzo Barber of the 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters. He was apparently known to the men as "The Fighting Parson" because they claimed he could not resist taking his personal target rifle along on scouting and skirmishing missions.

While some Sharpshooter diarists and writers state that Barber would not hesitate to "execute His will" on the battlefield, I find it hard to believe that he would be dropping rebel soldiers at long-range. During the Mine Run campaign of Nov. 1863, Chaplain Barber was on the skirmish line for the last time during his service. Before heavy fighting broke out along the Sharpshooter's front, he had felled a hog several hundred yards away in order to accurately measure the long-range distance of rebel rifle pits. Later he was wounded and sent to the rear but apparently continued to deliver mail to the Sharpshooters during part of 1864.

Here's a link to a photograph of Chaplain Barber: http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/barber.jpg

As for what a Chaplain would wear in the field, here is another photo link to an image of what The Horse Soldier claims is the only identified Chaplain's frock coat in private hands: http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/id61.JPEG

The description reads, in part: "This frock coat belonged to Isaiah L. Kephart who was chaplain of the 21st Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry from 1863 to 1865. The coat is of black broadcloth and shows definite signs of use. All buttons are gone except for 2 black cloth covered buttons on the back. The style and construction is very similar to a military frock. The front of the skirt had 6 buttons with a fold down collar. The collar shows much wear from soiling. Balck tape runs down the front edge near the button holes.....Reverend Isaiah Lafayette Kephart enlisted as a Chaplain in the 1st PA Cavalry on 7/27/63 at Harrisburg to serve 6 months. When the the regiment's term of service expired, Kephart re-enlisted in 2/64 to serve until the end of the war. He was present for most of the regiment's service except for the period of 8/31/63 to 10/31/63; at that time he was on detached service at Camp Cooke in Scranton, PA. It is believed that this camp handled the wounded from the Battle of Gettysburg. Kephart was honorably discharged in Richmond, VA on 5/6/65."

And where the description says it had six buttons on the "front of the skirt" they meant to say that the coat closed with six buttons.
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

It sounds like a man who followed his patriotic duty like many of the men might have in his congregation. One of my messmates is a pastor. He often takes the first person persona of a pastor/chaplain who felt he had a patriotic duty and went to serve with the men of his flock. He wears a plain old dusty uniform like us but always carries a bible. To my knowledge he wears/carries no other insignia, ect. Of course, nothing else is needed because many of us knew him back home as our Pastor. At times he will lead us in small services but is mostly there for our moral and spiritual support. It sounds like this could be a very similar story of your ancestor.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

A pard of mine Greg Olson has a chaplain impression, and I think back in the day he was chaplain for the AOP. If your interested shoot me a PM, and I will give you his contact info.
            Grant Wilson

Comment

Working...
            X