Issac and Campbell Pack qestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issac and Campbell Pack qestions

I was thinking of ordering a Serio Issac and Campbell Pack as a Xmas gift to myself, but had a few questions. Perhaps an owner or two could help me out. Serio sells them without a wood frame. Is a frame really necessary? And if so is it easy enough to make? Also, is there an easy way to attach a blanket to the outside of the pack, or is there enough room to just keep it inside?

Thanx much!
    Frank Perkin

Re: Issac and Campbell Pack qestions

As Herr Schmidt says, your mileage may vary, but my experience has been that the frame is unnecessary and made a good fire starter at a particularly cold event a few years ago. I've found that there is plenty of room if packing light to place a blanket between the flap and the main bag, making it more comfortable to carry, as it carries "backward" to other packs, with the flap on the wearer's back. If you desire the frame, its may be best to order it at the same time with the pack. They aren't too difficult to make, but getting an exact fit is a little more difficult.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Frank,
      I first want to say that I highly support a lot of the products Bob carries, however, I have heard some pretty hard criticism towards the bag in a few of the construction techniques and materials used, and this came from people who are considered "experts" in English import equipment. Some of the edging was done in buff, his is done in plain leather. The bag was linen, his is canvas etc. I want to add this- Bob Serio makes some of the finest products on the market, this observation is made without seeing the reproduction bag.

As far as carrying the bag goes, I have found that packing a normal load (knit gear, shirt, groundcloth and blanket) I can manage to just pack the blanket inside. If you need to, I have in the past tied a blanket roll and slung it without attaching it to the bag itself.
      Last edited by coastaltrash; 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Hi,

When I owned one of his I&C knapsacks, I rolled a balnket roll, and placed it over the top straps. Then I placed the bottom of the roll through the straps. This made the knapsack ride very nicely on my back, and left enough from in the bag for other items. This picture is from the Liberty Rifles webstite, which shows a gentleman wearing his knapsack like I did.
        Attached Files
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hi,

I forgot to say this in my first post, but I would go without the wood frame. It is just extra weight to carry!!!!!!!:confused_:wink_smil
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Thanx all for the replies. Pat's comments have really made me think about buying this product from Serio. Now I have some valid questions to ask other vendors who make this type of knapsack.
            Frank Perkin

Comment

I have one from Robert & really like it. Do a field modification and add a strap on each side of the mess tin strap. I have a rolled up FHW coverlet there and it rides really good. Robert and I talked a lot about knapsacks, in fact we talk a lot about many things. I kinda thought he was an "expert". He told me most of the negative comments were because he used latex paint rather than the period recipe paint. The reason he does this is (and he has the written opinion of a fire marshall) is the flammability of the period recipe. It was reported that in enough heat it was possible for the thing to spontaneously ignite and can imagine one sitting in a car trunk on a 100degree + day. If the thing caught on fire the reenactor's lawyer would be wanting his head. Also, I must be special because mine is made of linen, not canvas.
              Last edited by EasySam; 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
              "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
              1st Missouri Battalion
              Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Hi,

My I&C knapsack, from Robert, was also made out of linen.

Andrew
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Moderator hat ON:
                  I would like to caution folks about further beatings of the "Latex -v- Linseed" nag. Unless you have a PhD in chemistry or toxicology or you have your Md/PhD, I seriously doubt you have anything novel to add to the discussion.
                  Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 11-13-2008, 09:18 AM.
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

My English knapsack from Bob is made of linen also. I like it as I am forced to pack light. I've found I didn't really need the items I started leaving behind. I also make better use of my pockets.
                    Paul Manzo
                    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Perhaps Neill Rose and other English accouterment experts can chime in here, but were some of the Brit knapsacks issued without the frame? My I & C repro from Nick S (a superb item) is based on the West Point original and it does not have a frame. The Dogan back in the SCCRR is also sans wood frame.

As to the question - the wood frame is not necessary at all. The numerous straps and buckles and leather corners give it all the shape it needs. It is a rather small knapsack as these things go so what I normally do is roll my blanket as a horsecollar and wear it over the knapsack, as an average blankie would take up about 1/2 or more of the inside of the pack. Very comfy and I can walk forever. Since BGR I have taken to doing that for any impression, as my avatar shows.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,
                        I have the same pack you have. At Outpost 2007, I wore my pack probably 80% of the time during the event, maybe more. I had a CRC 5# Fed blanket folded inside (no small achievement there!) along with a few essentials (candles, housewife, mittens, and a length of rope), then strapped my ground cloth, scarf, and a couple of other items to the outside using a set of repro I&C overcoat straps (from the same vendor who made my pack). The pack was very comfortable to wear and didn't really add to my level of fatigue (fatigue for me was a sleep deprivation thing at that event! ...just ask Jim Conley ;) ).
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I always carry my mess tin in its cover on the top as procribed (so that keeps me from strapping anything on top), and put the groundcloth under the flap but outside the inner straps so you can grab it quickly. Some stuff that might go in the haversack (grub) goes in my knapsack as well. Like Wick, I love this knapsack and the Queen's engineers did a job with it...especially the vendor who sold buckles - there must be what, 10 of them of varying kinds per knapsack/mess tin? The owner of the buckle factory must have been one of the richest men in the United Kingdom. :D

By the way, the hardware for these has been found from Virginny to the Trans-Miss and throughout the war. The MrCrae papers have 1861 contracts for them.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

On mine I wonder if the shoulder straps are too short for me. I have a heck of a time getting both hooked without help. The straps being that short though makes it ride high which I like.
                            "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
                            1st Missouri Battalion
                            Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Paul, Andrew and Sam,
                              I believe the canvas vs linen complaint was directed at another vendor who makes the same pack, and not Serio as I originally printed, my mistake. I went through 3 years of checking the facts with notes from the originals and construction method before I gave up, and lucked up getting a Sam Haywood I&C on the second hand market.
                              Patrick Landrum
                              Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X