Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate flags

Hello to everyone!

First off, I'll just start with a little introduction (as this is my first post here). I'm 21-year-old fellow re-enactor from Finland, northern Europe. I've been doing world war two re-enacting for quite a few years but I have always been fascinated by the american history, especially that of late 18th century and mid 19th century. Last summer I had an opportunity to meet with other people sharing my interests and now american civil war re-enacting is on the rise here. We've got some 20 (active) people here who are slowly gathering information and studying this part of the history. Also, we are lucky to have only the most dedicated people doing this so far, so we don't really have problems with farbs now. So this is where I come from.

Unfortunately, living in Finland we don't really have any sort of literature concerning american civil war (as it is not really something people care about here) and all the books we can get have to be ordered mainly from UK and USA. This is kinda tricky, as good books are often sold out or not made anymore and picking books on random isn't really a good choice. This has left us to use mainly internet as a source for information (which does sound kinda bad, I know), luckily there are good sites like Authentic Campaigner around.

Now this has brought me here to ask this small, but very important question about confederate flags.

We've wanted to get our unit a flag, both US and CS ones. We got US flag from a group in UK, so we still need a CS flag. Unfortunately, every single book about CS flags we've ordered hasn't arrived or has been sold out so we are basicly without information now. We've been thinking of having just a generic flag made for us, but then again we'd like to have a bit more attention paid to it.

We've so far been going for a more "generic" look on our unit, we haven't chosen any specific regiment or anything for our impressions, other than "Army of Northern Virginia, pre-Gettysburg" as we aim to participate re-enactments outside Finland (and hopefully outside Europe, too) and it helps to be a more generic unit, so we can blend in while still maintaining high level of authenticity. The problem lies there. How to be generic, yet specific enough to carry a flag of a certain unit? Especially one with battle honors (as those flags are, well, "better looking" in the eyes of public). I've been looking for few sites lately and I think that getting a 3rd bunting issue battle flag, something similar to this 13th Alabama Infantry flag (Click here) would probably be fitting for our unit. However, I would also like to hear from you opinions on this and more info on different regiments and their flags, if you have any ideas how to solve this problem of ours.

Also, if you could recommend us proper, well established flag makers who can make authentic and high quality flag(s) for our unit. I've found a few internet sites of some flag makers, but all of them made mostly other than civil war flags and ACW flags were just a small curiosity, so I wasn't quite convinced I would be getting a proper flag from them...

Anyways, I want to thank you all in advance for even the smallest piece of information I could get. Thank you.

-Peter Bauer

Re: Confederate flags

Hello Peter,

Welcome aboard!

Check out the "Flags of the Confederacy" webpage, a site compiled and maintained by some of the most knowledgeable researchers of Confederate flags. There is a wealth of info on this webpage - http://www.confederateflags.org/

Geoff Walden

Comment

Yes, I would definately check Flags of the Confederacy. You might go with an early war "homemade" flag, that would increase the opurtunities you would have to be "generic". In my personal oppinion I would descide on a particular regiment to portay. This might limit the number of events avaliable for you to attend, but I would make finding a flag and other accurate equipment alot easier. If you do descide that a 3rd Bunting is what you're after, Ben Tart has one listed on his web page. You might want to conact Drew Gruber aka BusterButtonBoy, he's a wealth of information.

Regards,
      Garrett Glover
      Garrett Glover

Comment

I would throw out there to get in contact with Ben Tart, he works at the museum in NC and has access to their entire flag collection. In addition he has made flags before as well as offered kits to sew your own battle flag if you feel so inclined.

Regards,
        -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
        93rd New York Coffee Cooler
        [I]
        "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
        [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

2nd the recommendation of Ben Tart....excellent customer service, excellent work....and has plenty of research to back up his work.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bauer View Post
            Also, if you could recommend us proper, well established flag makers who can make authentic and high quality flag(s) for our unit.
            Greetings Mr. Bauer!

It's nice to hear about more people from "across the pond" becoming interested in our nation's compelling history. In the words of James A. Baldwin, "American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful, and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it."

I'd recommend Paul and Peter Luks of our battalion, the Liberty Rifles. The twins both have daytime jobs and don't reproduce their flags 24/7. However, they may be able to help you out in March.

The Luks Brothers have made all their repops from original measurements and construction, making them "museum-grade replicas". I've had the pleasure of accompanying them at the Museum of the Confederacy to measure originals, so I can vouch for their hard work and dedication.

Peter Luks: cheesermackey@msn.com

They have permitted me to post a few of their pieces. Enjoy!

Na zdorovje,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM. Reason: Email addy
            Jason C. Spellman
            Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Thank you everyone for answers! I believe they will be of great help for me and my unit. I'll be looking into these tips and we'll see how things turn out! :)

-Peter Bauer

Comment

ANV (3rd Bunting) Battle flag by Peter Luks‏

Hi,
                just wanted to post some pictures of a flag I have just received from Peter Luks. It's the 11th Mississippi (ANV 3rd Bunting) as some of you will recognise (issued after Sharpsburg, and captured after Pickett's charge on the last day of Gettysburg - illustrated in EOG p.252). The flag is partially machine sewn (as is the original) which makes the flag a little more affordable than a fully hand-sewn flag! As many of you may know the Depot flags were increasingly machine sewn as the war progressed, though '3rd Bunting' (as opposed to 4th to 7th bunting) machine sewn flags usually tend to be the later war ones. Peter's work is exceptional and I appreciate the work that has gone into this flag. He has studied numerous flags, including around 100 of those in the collection of the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond. I have attached this to the thread I used to contact him, his e-mail is above in Jason's post. I'll also add a link to the MOC's flag collection for those who like to drool over such things.......

N.B - Please note, the flag is rotated 90o to hang via the ties - "Manassas" is the top.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by PaulJ; 06-28-2011, 06:36 AM.
                Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

Re: CSS Jackson naval ensign by Peter Luks‏

Hi, just wanted to share my joy at just receiving this authentic copy of the naval ensign from the CSS Jackson (aka CSS Muscogee) from Peter Luks of Virginia. The flag is a hand-sewn (correct materials, correct type of thread) copy that even captures some of the imperfections of the original flag (some mis-shapen, unevenly rotated stars etc). Note that the canton (Battle flag) is not square but very slightly elongated like a naval Jack - this is exactly as the original (that Peter handled and studied extensively before making the flag).
                  I would also like to add that Peter's communication and service were superb and I would not hesitate to recommend ordering a flag from him to anyone. I realise that these are difficult times economically but I hope that the community support and encourage Peter's outstanding work now and in the future. How many Civil War flag-makers of Peter's calibre can there be on planet Earth right now......I take my hat off to him.

NB - For those interested, the CSS Jackson was virtually complete by 1865 but did not see active service. It was a feature of one of the last battles of the Civil War, the capture of Columbus GA on 16/17th April 1865. The iron clad was known to the Union and feared. It was burn't by Wilson's US cavalry on 17th April before it could be crewed and made operational. The remains were raised in the 1960's and are now on display at the Columbus Naval Museum. There is also a (Kindle only I believe) book available on Amazon by Roger C Campbell called "The last Gray Lady". The ensign was captured before the ship was burned (along with other flags on board) and eventually donated to the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond where Peter studied it late last year. It is in fairly poor condition and I don't think that it is on display.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PaulJ; 01-09-2012, 12:09 AM.
                  Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum. Just a note of caution: Do you have enough members to field several companies to warrant carrying colors? The spectators like to see flags, and they are great if portraying a color guard...but nothing says "modern battle reenactment" more than every company at an event marching under its own colors. Something to consider.
                    Paul McKee

Comment

I would also second flags by Peter Luks. He does some fine work. As a side note I reenact Finnish Winter and Continuation wars.
                      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                      X