Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artillery leathers

Pards;
    what type of leather is the most authentic leather for a gunners haversack, friction primers pouches , and thumbstall.

what are the dementions for a gunners haversack and primers pouch ?

thanks, a friend asked me to make hime some.and we have no clue what type of leather or anything . I can usually get measurements on one but i havn't had uch time now adays. :D
    thanks
    Very Respectfully,
    Robert Young

Re: artillery leathers

Sounds like a nice project your friend has put you up too. :D Assuming you are skilled with handsewing and working with leather, I strongly suggest that you research these items to build a decent knowledge base to work from. This should include seeking out and viewing some original items, obtaining measurements, and studying the workmanship.

Good luck with your project
    [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
    [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
    [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Pard:
      actually i've been doing leather work for some time now. I mainly just need to know what type of leather. I've been asking around but no one seems to know. I think it might be vegitable tanned leather but I frankly am unsure. I don't want my friend buying the wrong type of leather, and we all know how expensive leather can get to be.so there lies my delema i know how to make a thumb stall, and my friend and i are probably going to use his pistol cartridge box to hold friction primers . thanks for your help
      Very Respectfully,
      Robert Young

Comment

Vegetable tanned leather is the correct one for the period ; this is such a beautiful leather too, and If you're not used to work with, you will quickly feel the difference when using it. ( for example, you can use hot water to shape it easily, and it will keep it's shape... )

Here is the excellent Jarnagin's page on these leathers ;

Vegetable tanned leather care is another interesting topic ; see Jarnagin or Missouri Bot and Shoe page's too, or search the AC forums. period recipes just had been posted.

I hope you will have pleasure making your leathers.
        Last edited by Frenchie Larry; 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM.
        Christophe Larribere

Comment

Pard:
          thank you in the highest degree, in reallity I just finished a thunb stall, it is made from black horse hair, golden tanned buckskin, and some horrible leather I bought from wal-mart for 50cents. I duly thank you all for your help.

Rob young
          Very Respectfully,
          Robert Young

Comment

Hermann Oak leather is the closest thing you can get to what period leather looked and felt like. The finish on the artillery leather was called stained, for more information on this leather please check out the leather definition web page. The link is in one of the post above.

Hermann Oak leather can be purchased through Weaver leather.

Comment

Working...
            X