Reproduction shovel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction shovel?

Pardners in crime: where would one find a good repro shovel for a common infantryman? Looking for something with a d handle but can't find one that is appropriate. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ron Myers
    1st US Infantry Co. D

Re: Reproduction shovel?

Good Luck, you're going to have to take a look in the antique & junk shops near you. Look for a shovel that is strapped w/ two pieces of metal instead of wrapped around the handle. Once you find the correct blade you can buy a handle from Menards or your handle, the modern D handle is not inappropriate. Before the old site crashed there was a wonderful post that had a couple pages from period catalogs.

Another option if you have no luck finding an appropriate shovel blade go to your local Blacksmith & Welder shop and see if they can fabricate one for you.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

I'll try and attach a picture of one with a wooden D handle from a gardening place. don't know if it's exactly period looking, but if the wooden D hadle is the main thing the rest might be just a matter of sandpapering the logo and paint. If the pic doesn't work, here's the link.

Powers that Be: if this is not period looking enough, please remove. Thanks

Jim Reynolds
      Last edited by Foggy Bottom Jim; 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM.
      Jim Reynolds
      Sykes' Regulars

"...General Jackson rode up & told them that they must look out, for those troops were the regulars & if they made the slightest mismove or wavered an instant all would be lost, for the regulars were devils & would cut them to pieces."

Comment

Have some shovels and other implements on the following page.

Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo
          Have some shovels and other implements on the following page.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/tools/tools.html

Thanks pards, I'll see what I can find!

Ron Myers

Comment

Regretfully, I can't answer your question as I'm not that knowledgeable in the area, though the topic does make me remember a story ...

Way back when A/C was on EzBoard, I remember an individual posting regarding his finding an actual original Federal spade at a thrift store for something like $5.00 because the seller didn't know what they had. I believe the store was around Antietam, but nevertheless, it sure made me want to go thrifting!
            [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
            [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
            [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
            [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
            [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
            [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
            [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
            [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
            [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
            [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
            [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
            [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
            [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
            [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
            [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

shovels from an 1865 catalog

Gents,

Attached is an image of shovels from an 1865 catalog by Russel and Erwin posted by some kind fellow on the old forum and, for once, I had sense enough to save...

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
              Attached Files
              geoffrey lehmann

Comment

I originally posted the shovel pics . Here is the second page of shovels from the catalogue.

Rick Bailey
                Attached Files
                Rick Bailey
                Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

The shovels are out there, you just have to poke around and know what you’re looking for. I just today picked up one in great shape for (you might want to sit down if your standing), $10! The fellow wanted $15 but I talked him down (It was a slow snowy day).

Study the images Jim posted as well as the period drawings that Rick and Geoffrey put up on this thread and keep your eyes open as you go about you travels.

Good luck in your hunt,

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt. Myers
                    Pardners in crime: where would one find a good repro shovel for a common infantryman? Looking for something with a d handle but can't find one that is appropriate. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ron Myers
                    1st US Infantry Co. D

Ron:

I picked up two jim dandy d-handle shovels off e-bay a short while ago for under $30 including shipping.

Andy Redd
                    Andy Redd

Comment

I've got a real nice one for sale if you are interested. I throw it out here for those who want one, otherwise it will go up on the B, S, T Forum shortly. Email ingrahami@cox.net.

Thanks,

Ivan F. Ingraham

Comment

Hi
                        If you haven't already bought a shovel, I'll gladly make you one, I work in the blacksmith shop at our local living history park. Also, any Iron work anyone needs. I could make just about anything for the right price:wink_smil
                        Thanks

Brian Mott
                        Iron Rooster Mess
                        Brian Mott

Iron Rooster Mess

Backwaters 2010 Mud March

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X