Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hairstyle???

Mr. Scalf,

Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about! I would like to see if someone knows more on these and if they are period, where I can get some.
    Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
    Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
    Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
    Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
    Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
    sigpic

Comment

The hair, the clothes and the kit are all cheap. The stare is priceless cause you have to earn it. Keyboards are cheap also.
      Attached Files
      Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
      Terry Pratchett

Comment

Good post I always seem to look like the odd one with my high fade all the time.
        Thanks for the post!
        Drew Ingram
        7th NJ CO A
        2nd Battalion
        6th Marines
        WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

You're going to have to check on the period-correct type, but I have seen hand clippers in many old far tool auctions and garage sales. They were a common item by the 1890s (Sears Roebuck catalog) and "livestock clippers" were advertised in the Wheeling Intelligencer on several occasions during the war years. Someone in the cavalry might be able to give us a better persepctive; has anyone found fetlock trimmers or clippers issued to the units? If they were hauled along to the field, it stands to reason someone would have put them to use on everything with hair, not just the horses.
          Becky Morgan

Comment

Hallo!

I have seen manual hair clippers attributed to "Sir John Smith," previously Nikola Bizumic- a Serbian inventor (1823-1906) who moved to London in 1860 and renamed himself.

The rise of the manual clipper followed the social fashion changes in the 1880's and the rise of the men's barber shop for the shorter hair styles.

As a result many of the patents, and dates found on "antique" manual or hand clippers date back only to the 1880's and 1890's at the earliest.

With the rise of electricity and the invention of electric clippers beginning in the 1920's, the use of the hand clippers declined in modern countries.

They are still made for 3rd World countries where electricity is not around to power electric clippers.

With the fall of the U.S.S.R. tons of new and used manual clippers flooded the market along with East German/DDR stuff about 10-20 years ago.

There is a "Musuem of the Barber" located in Canal Winchester (IIRC, was Quantrill's hometown) but it seems to be a collection of barber shop items rather than reference material.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

A poke around Google Patent Search reveals a manual hair clipper for animals patented in England in 1867. That is the earliest I could locate similar to what I've seen for manual hair-clippers for people haircuts. The 1869 re-issue can be seen here. There were other, earlier designs, but they were quite different. I did recently read an account of a man having "the only pair of scissors in camp" and giving haircuts so "the side of the head was as clean as his palm". Now... where was that...
              ---------------
              Benjamin L. Clark
              [URL="http://www.themondak.org"]MonDak Heritage Center[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.montanamuseums.org/"]Museums Assoc. of Montana[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by 508preach View Post
                For someone who has a job like myself where I have to keep my hair in current military regulations what is an option for a period hair style?
                "Hair it is!' by Bob Braun (IIRC) is a good article, as is "You Folks Would Hardly Recognize Me...The Personal Appearance of Civil War Soldiers" by John Tobey. In other readings you will find references to "freshly shorn" CS troops by their federal captors.

On a more modern note, a pair of sheep shears will be found in the boxes and contents of a typical farm auction. People who remember the individual in question didn't have sheep tend to forget they were often used for roaching a mane and even clipping grass around the flower beds in the days prior to the "weed eater." They are still made, and anyone who wanted one could have purchased such live and in person in Howard County this weekend at the Sheep & Wool Show. Our faithful reporter says the price of funnel cakes is up, too.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I know this thread is old, but I found this the other day. It's about a soldier who was giving "buzz" style cuts with a pair of scissors.

Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
                  Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                  Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
                  Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
                  Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
                  Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X