Campaigner Tips, Tricks, & Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniches

Sean, most of the guidebooks use identical language.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Long trench fires are the only way to go for a lot of things, cooking among them. Makes the most sense also for cold nights as it is way easier to build, keep fed and to arrange yourself and comrades around and along the fire. You can lay fence rails or long logs in without cutting them up into smaller pieces. You leave one end open so anyone feeding the fire approaches without stepping on comrades.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

If I may add to the candle hint...if you have a limited supply of matches or are bumming a light for your fire, always light your candle and light your tinder from that. This is as important in modern emergency camping as it was in the 1860s.

--Becky Morgan
        Becky Morgan

Comment

• Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniques

Corps Badges

One that I swear I heard on this site but now cannot find is this: When attaching a corps badge to the disc of your cap, pin the badge where it's supposed to be and then use a curved needle to sew onto the cap. It requires a little dexterity, but it's actually quite easy. As for where to get a bent needle, I just grabbed a regular one, grasped it in the middle between vice-grips, and bent both sides down. It worked like a charm.

Respectfully,
          Last edited by mtvernon; 10-12-2006, 08:45 AM.
          Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

If you have to get up early (pickett duty, morning battle, your turn to fix breakfast, ect.) and your not good at waking yourself up. Drink alot of water before you go to sleep. The bodies natural process will wake you up.
            Paul "Curly" Richardson
            9th Ky Cavalry CSA

Comment

Originally posted by paul9thky
              Drink alot of water before you go to sleep.
              Paul,

This has been "the cook's secret" for a long time. Another is to do all the food prep work for breakfast that you can before going to bed. Thank goodness for desiccated potatoes as a time saver!
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Drinking all of the water you can hold before you go to sleep is a good idea for NCO's at events too. tht way you're up before the rest of the company. then you have the chance to boil your coffee before you get busy. And, to help hydration, it's important for the boys to do this exact thing on both evenings of events before they turn in.
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                Past President Potomac Legion
                Long time member Columbia Rifles
                Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

If Huck offers you something to eat at midnight, it might Spicy hot ( pepper soaked in vinegar)....
                  Aka
                  Wm Green :D
                  Illegitimi non carborundum
                  (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                  Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Huck are you trying to threaten me with a good time? ;)
                    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM.
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                      Long trench fires are the only way to go for a lot of things, cooking among them. Makes the most sense also for cold nights as it is way easier to build, keep fed and to arrange yourself and comrades around and along the fire. You can lay fence rails or long logs in without cutting them up into smaller pieces. You leave one end open so anyone feeding the fire approaches without stepping on comrades.
                      I should have added in the original post that this was still another tip from that zen master of campaigning, Neil Rose.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

IF you are up before your NCO's....having the coffee on when they get up isn't a bad thing...even if you keep it a little farther from the fire and you head back to sleep. You don't have to admit to it in order to avoid ribbing from your pards, but everyone will benefit the same from the NCO's improved disposition.
                        Jeremiah Boring
                        Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

I know it's not correct but I always carry to gum blankets with me, one under and one over me when I sleep at events.
                          I agree with bluebellybugleboy.

"Mytips: If it get's cold at a reenactment , and you've already used all your blankesand great coat, use your poncho[/QUOTE]"
                          Diana Sawin

Comment

That cape on your great coat isn't just for looks or scrap fabric, and makes a mighty fine hood or "head cover"

Mr. Schuda, it appears you've changed your automatic signature and excluded your full name. Please remember that you must sign all your posts with your full name. Having your last name as part of your login name isn't sufficient. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators
                            Last edited by Silas; 05-24-2015, 04:27 PM. Reason: Signature rule violation
                            Ryan Schuda
                            Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
                            Dirty First Mess

Comment

Take a sturdy stock and thread it through the shoulder straps and blanket roll straps of your knapsack. It will keep the weight from pulling backwards, reducing stress on your shoulders.
                              Ben Flowerday, Pvt.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by BenFlo View Post
                              Take a sturdy stock and thread it through the shoulder straps and blanket roll straps of your knapsack. It will keep the weight from pulling backwards, reducing stress on your shoulders.
                              Ben Flowerday, Pvt.
                              And by stock, I obviously meant stick. Darn spellcheck!
                              Ben Flowerday

Comment

• Re: Campaigner Tips, Tricks, & Techniques

Reviving this thread for Wauhatchie since many are watching the weather forecast. As I mentioned in the Facebook post, don't despair about weather. Prepare. Here are the things I am doing to be ready for potential cold and rain. Please feel free to add your own preparation for posterity:
                                1. DRY FEET - Waterproof your brogans/boots. Before every event, I usually use mink oil - inside and out. This will not prevent your feet from getting wet, but it will keep your leather soft and your feet as dry as possible.
                                2. SOCKS - In conjunction with #1, bring at least two pairs of extra socks. Why two? I wear two pairs so my brogans are tight. You will need dry feet, so if it is going to rain, be ready. I also pack a couple more pairs on top of the two extra. I use my knapsack as a pillow at night, so this makes your knapsack softer and socks weigh next to nothing anyway.
                                3. GREATCOAT - If you look at the photo, I made a "hobo roll" using old braces for my Greatcoat. If you attempt to stuff your Greatcoat into your knapsack, you will be carrying a "bowling ball" back there. You can use braces, or any other old straps and sling this over your shoulder after putting on your knapsack. So, your Greatcoat will be ready-to-go if you need it and more importantly, it will take the pressure off of your shoulders trying to stuff it into your knapsack
                                4. EXTRA SHIRT - Bring an extra shirt, so you have a dry one. Store it inside your double bag or bedroll to keep it dry.
                                5. EXTRA GUM BLANKET - Store it in the upper flap of your double bag with the sides open so you can pull it out of there if needed. You can use the extra gum as a poncho if you bring an extra j-hook or twine to tie the top together. At night, when you bed down, use a ground cloth to sleep on and a blanket with your gum blanket over the top to lock in heat and keep the rain off of you.
                                6. SHELTER HALF - Depending on the event, these may not be appropriate. For Wauhatchie, they are, so bring one. Also, bring plenty of twine. With the extra gum blankets plus shelter halves, you and your comrades can build an impressive she-bang by tying on to a tree. The more people you have, the more material. Get together with comrades to help you build a shelter to share the work. The end result is more body heat inside your creation. Bonus - Engineering a she-bang can be fun!
                                7. NIGHT CAP, MITTENS AND SCARF - Bring them! First, you need to keep your head and hands warm during the night. Even if you don't need the scarf, it helps with #2 and adds to your knapsack pillow.
                                8. FIRE - Last, but not least, bring some dry paper and stick it in your haversack or the bottom of your cartridge box. If it is raining, you will need something dry to start a fire. Many events allow individual fires. Make one! When you set up camp with your messmates or company, have one group build the fire while the other is building your shelter. Share the work! At night, always have someone tending the fire. Do not underestimate the importance of being able to keep warm by the fire. This is elementary for all reenacting, but especially important for campaigning!

I am certainly repeating some things that have been pointed out in this very long thread, but I thought it would be important to add to it since Wauhatchie is in five days. How are you preparing for this weekend?

PREPARE! DON'T DESPAIR!
                                Last edited by Eric Tipton; 10-22-2017, 12:46 PM.
                                ERIC TIPTON
                                Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X