Marking Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marking Gear

I sure wish I knew how to do photos because I have an original issue tin cup marked this way. It is die stamped on the outside just below the rim exactly opposite the handle and goes like this:

F -CT

I assume the CT is Connecticut. The stamping is definitely period as the cup came out of the woodwork--the previous owner didn't even know it was there. And it is a regulation army cup.

I am also looking at an Enfield buttplate which has a great history. If you know Atlanta, Geo. you know about "Underground Atlanta" which is below the streets of the old part of the city and now is restored as bars and boutiques. Years ago when I lived there they were restoring some of it, and workers got into some of the burned foundations; blackened bricks and charred beams left from Sherman's 'urban renewal' as the troops started toward the sea and fame, while the 33rd Massachusetts Inf. (the last regt to leave) set the final fires as their regimental band played in the streets (see their regimental history).
    Anyway, while I was rubbernecking some workmen found a charred Enfield musket and got all excited. I tried to talk these guys out of it, but no dice...but I did manage to get the buttplate which had fallen off. I have it here. The reason I wanted it so bad was the tang is stamped:

F
    Mass

I can just imagine some dumb Jonah left his musket inside as he dropped the torches.
    Anyway, that is another thing with that kind of marking.
    Spence Waldron~
    Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

I appreciate mention of all the various methods for marking blankets/hats/coats but am curious as to which were most commonly used? Indeed, did most peole mark their stuff?

Am I mistaken for thinking that stencils might have been difficult for a soldier to get a hold of and, therefore, that hand-written ink and/or burning gun powder (for cloth) and scratching initials (for leather/wood) might instead have been practicle ways of marking possessions? Were these kinds of methods common or am I mistaken and they most commonly used stencils after all?

Doug Jones
      Pvt Doug Jones
      15th Iowa Volunteer Infantry
      [email]doug@hdhunt.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by Bummer View Post
        I
        I am also looking at an Enfield buttplate which has a great history. Anyway, while I was rubbernecking some workmen found a charred Enfield musket and got all excited. I tried to talk these guys out of it, but no dice...but I did manage to get the buttplate which had fallen off. I have it here. The reason I wanted it so bad was the tang is stamped:

F
        Mass
        Must have been a Mass thing that they commonly marked their muskets. I have seen a few marked from that state. This one is a M-1841
        Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:34 PM.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jones View Post
          Am I mistaken for thinking that stencils might have been difficult for a soldier to get a hold of and, therefore, that hand-written ink and/or burning gun powder (for cloth) and scratching initials (for leather/wood) might instead have been practicle ways of marking possessions? Were these kinds of methods common or am I mistaken and they most commonly used stencils after all?

Doug Jones
          Stencils were not provided by the government. They were bought from sutlers therefore all soldiers would not have had one. I have seen letters addressed with a stencil as well as private possessions and issued equipment marked with them. Here is an example. As for wood, it would be hard to mark a musket with a stencil but as you can see light colored wood does just fine. Some examples of musket markings are shown on this page...http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/scabbard.html
          Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:34 PM.
          Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Not going to read through all these posts but if not already posted stencil kits are now available http://www.newblazingstarpress.com/stencil-plates/
            Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

US Army Regulations both 1857 and 1861 does state on how to mark one's knapsack and haversack.
              Diana Sawin

Comment

Working...
              X