"Having your image struck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Having your image struck"

Does anyone have a period reference for the term "Having your image struck" to mean having a photographic image made?

In my business I hear this term alot but I cannot seem to find a period reference for it.

Many Thanks in Advance!
    T. N. Harrington
    Traveling Photographic Artist
    Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
    Winchester, Virginia

Re: "Having your image struck"

I believe you are confusing that with the phrase "likeness taken". Having an image "struck" refers more to making coins (where you "strike" a coin) and thereby impress an image into the metal. Photos are a very different thing.

The term "likeness taken" in photography evolved from sitting for a simple drawing, where the artist captured a "likeness" of the subject. From the novel "Emma", by Jane Austen, Chapter 6:

"Did you ever have your likeness taken, Harriet?" said she: "Did you ever sit for your picture?"

No sooner was she out of sight, than Emma exclaimed, "What an exquisite possession a good picture of her would be! I would give any money for it. I almost long to attempt her likeness myself. . . It would be such a delight to have her picture!"

(And later, Emma petitions the artist):

"Let me entreat you, Miss Woodhouse, to exercise so charming a talent in favour of your friend. I know what your drawings are."

Later in the century, when photography of various types because available, the term morphed to include that medium as well as a simple drawing:

From the "Gospel Herald", or Poor Christians' Magazine, 1861:

"Did you ever think, children, the world is God's great photographic saloon, where we are all having our likenesses taken for eternity?"

And you could probably find a million more such references. "Image struck" is probably a reenactorism.
    Last edited by toccoa42; 12-23-2009, 10:57 AM.
    Lynn Kessler
    Co. C
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
    The Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by minieball View Post
      Does anyone have a period reference for the term "Having your image struck" to mean having a photographic image made?

In my business I hear this term alot but I cannot seem to find a period reference for it.

Many Thanks in Advance!

It may be a misuse of the term..I know I am guilty of it...It may have morphed from the term striking a pose or " struck a pose" which has a period reference here, and is still used in photography today..

Reading American photographs: images as history, Mathew Brady to Walker Evans By Alan Trachtenberg

Pg. 67.....Whitmann never gave himself over to the camera passively, always struck his own pose......

Winner of the Charles C. Eldredge PrizeIn this book, Alan Trachtenberg reinterprets some of America's most significant photographs, presenting them not as static images but rather as rich cultural texts suffused with meaning and historical content. Reading American Photographs is lavishly illustrated with the work of such luminaries as Mathew Brady, Timothy O'Sullivan, and Walker Evans--pictures that document the American experience from 1839 to 1938. In an outstanding analysis, Trachtenberg eloquently articulates how the art of photography has both followed and shaped the course of American history, and how images captured decades ago provocatively illuminate the present.
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I believe you are confusing that with the phrase "likeness taken". Having an image "struck" refers more to making coins (where you "strike" a coin) and thereby impress an image into the metal. Photos are a very different thing.
        Nope...no confusion here. As a modern practictioner of the daguerrian and collodion art, I know what the term means historically. I just have heard this term used innumberable times in reference to modern wet-plate photographic image making at CW-period events (both c/p/h and main stream) and have long suspected it was a modern "reenactorism". I just wanted to validate it with the AC community in case I missed a period reference before I start correcting folks.

By the way...THANKS for the great period references
        T. N. Harrington
        Winchester, Virginia

Comment

I tried searching for "image struck" and then "picture taken" in the Making of America site. "Image struck" came up with two hits. Neither was about getting a photo made. They were both from the same story and the word image was the last word of a sentence and then struck was the first word of the next sentence.

"Picture taken" came up with a lot of hits and many of them are about having a photo made. Here's a link to the page of hits: http://digital.library.cornell.edu/c...tart=1&size=25

Trish Hasenmueller

P.S. Making of America is a great resource for popular culture of any era in American history.
          Last edited by Trish Hasenmueller; 12-23-2009, 12:19 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Comment

Great resource, Trish...thanks so much!!
            T. N. Harrington
            Winchester, Virginia

Comment

You're welcome. Before they got the new software you could designate a time period to look at but now it gives you every year. If it doesn't find too many sources for your word or phrase, it will put the sources in chronological order.

I'm sure you noticed all the Scientific American references about the science of 'picture taking'.

Trish Hasenmueller
              Last edited by Trish Hasenmueller; 12-23-2009, 05:49 PM. Reason: added information about Scientific American

Comment

Like Trish I used "image struck" and "picture taken" except using Google Books and limiting my search to 1840-1865. I got no results from "image struck" that were related to the photographic process and plenty of results of people being taken by a scene or a person. Using "picture taken" I got 633 results all of which seemed to be related to having a depiction of a person made with a camera.
                Sincerely,
                Emmanuel Dabney
                Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

This isn't the phrase in question, but worth noting:

From the diary of Henry Keiser, Co. G, 96th Pennsylvania Infantry:
                  "Thursday, February 27, 1862. Yesterday the Regiment was formed and a Photographer took a picture of the Regiment and camp . . ."

From the diary of Erasmus Reed, Co. B, 96th Pennsylvania Infantry:
                  "February 26th, 1862. Camp Northumberland . . . There is nothing particularly new going on here, except that we have had the photograph of the Regiment taken today, and also that we received marching orders . . ."
                  Last edited by PieBoy96; 12-23-2009, 11:09 PM.
                  Paul Boccadoro
                  Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

In a letter from Wright Vinson, of the 57th Ga., to his wife Christiana in July of 1862:
                    "..., I want you to take the train and gow up to Macon and get yours and the baby type taken and sent it to mee if it costs 50 dollars. My life aint now satisfaction to mee now how and I dontrecond yourn is ether. Sow I want your type if I cant get to come home"

"Hell's Broke Loose in Georgia. Survival in a Civil War Regiment" Scott Walker p.25
                    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                    WIG/GVB
                    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

In a letter to his sister Caroline, James Branscomb, Co. D, 3d Alabama, wrote on July 27, 1861:

"A few days ago I had my ambrotype taken and sent it to Ma. When you write again, let me know whether she has received it or not."

Ma did receive the ambrotype.
                      Rob Weber
                      3d Alabama

When the blast of war blows in your ears, then shall ye good men imitate the actions of the tiger!!! Stiffen thy sinews, summon up thy blood, disguise thy fair nature with hard favored RAGE!!! -- William Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 3, sc. 1

Comment

Working...
                      X