Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimensions of Issac and Campbell knapsack

Hi all,
    I,ve checked the "search" area of the forum and didn't see dimensions of a Issac and Campbell knapsack. If any one has an idea, please post. I have a excellent used one I just purchased and would be interested on input. Not much room!!!

Brent Conner
    Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
    Benjamin Franklin

Re: dimensions of Issac and Campbell knapsack

Brent,
    There used to be a great thread on here about the I&C knapsacks, discussing pattern and the what not, but I couldn't find it in a quick search but I would take some time and try and find it.
    I would also shoot Robert Serio from Missouri Boot and Shoe a email. He's a great guy with tons of information.
    I hope this helps you out.
    Tom Backus
    Brown Bottle Mess
    Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

According to Lon Webster's new book, Entrepot: Government Imports into the Confederate States
      on page 242, the dimentions are 13" high, 15" wide, and 4" deep.
      But...he also states that the dimentions of the 1857 pack are known to varry one inch or more in hieght and width.

A great book, everyone should have a copy!:thumbs_up

Kevin Dally
      Kevin Dally

Comment

Thanks fpr the info. The dimentions of mine is the same as you stated Kevin. There is one being produced that measures 15 inches high, were as mine is 13 inches. I was worried. The quality is excellent and it didn't make sense to be off that much. Thanks for the help. The knapsack was made by Jim Stevenson.

Brent Conner
        Brent Conner

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have one made by Jim as well. I know for a fact that he based his reproduction off of an original. Years back I saw the original and repro side by side. it's a great pack and well made by him, Enjoy it.
          John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

you can rest assured anything Jim Stephenson made was copied from an original and is an excellent reproduction.
            Bryant Roberts
            Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
            palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaConscript View Post
              you can rest assured anything Jim Stephenson made was copied from an original and is an excellent reproduction.
              Yup, he owns an original British army issue knapsack, I've seen it, held it and drooled over it.
              -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
              93rd New York Coffee Cooler
              [I]
              "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
              [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

His original is ID'ed to Indian Wars use, and not CW, but a close friend we all respected, thinks it was from a captured blockade runner and pressed into federal use post-war. Dimensions, material, construction, etc are in line for the British surplus knapsacks. It is missing the shoulder strap/yoke piece. The wood is also planed to the correct thickness as his original. The one think I find fascinating about the knapsack is the sheen still on the fabric. He is currently having the center bottom brass buckle reproduced for the next run as hardware is the key to this knapsack.
                Last edited by estephenson; 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM. Reason: Edit text.
                Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Eric, is the knapsack you describe above? It is very well made. What can be added to as you mentioned, "shoulder stap/yoke piece"? I am always attempting to make my impression better. Your help is much appreciated.

Brent Conner
                  Brent Conner

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Brent, My fathers original is missing the straps that connected the knapsack to your back. He reproduced the straps from another example.
                    Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Working...
                    X