Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type and width of tape for RD1 jackets

Hi,

I have a RD2 that I need to attach some black tape to for use at the Return to Manassas event in August. What is the width and weave of the tape that I should track down.

Thanks,

Kevin Coyle
    4th Texas Co. B.
    Kevin Coyle

Re: Type and width of tape for RD1 jackets

Apparently the trim on jackets varied, with some jackets piped and others trimmed (one example with 1/4" dark blue cotton tape), others with a combination, and still others (early "type II," from the spring of 1862) with no trim at all.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Hi Kevin,
      This is my Richmond type 1, it has both black pipeing and tape. I hope it may be of some help.

Brent Conner

Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Kevin - as you can tell from Les Jensen's landmark study Michael sites, things varied. What unit are you attempting to portray at the event? Is everyone else in that unit looking to add trim to their jackets?
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hi,

I was reading the CS guidelines for "Return to Manassas" and they mention about adding the tape/piping to a current RDII to back date it for 1862. I am not aware of a particular unti that they want CS folks to portray.

Thanks,
          Kevin
          Kevin Coyle

Comment

That's probably a great example of why one should never completely trust event standards as a source of historical information. According to the Jensen article, the Richmond depot had already begun manufacturing jackets without trim months before. Plus, the commutation system was still in effect until October 1862, and not formally suspended until GO 100 of December 8, 1862, so you could have purchased your jacket on your own (it's not like what we call the "RD II" has no precedent in American history and no parallels outside Richmond -- see Jensen's comments on the "Type I"). Unless you have the skill and patience to make the tape look like it came with the jacket, I don't think you should trouble yourself.
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
            X